Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

High Quality Paint protection

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 07:30 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default High Quality Paint protection

I your experience, who and whom makes the best 1 time applied film to protect you paint and it has to last ? I see there are a number of manufactures out there. Thank you !
Old 12-28-2016, 04:19 PM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Received 271 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by killain
I your experience, who and whom makes the best 1 time applied film to protect you paint and it has to last ? I see there are a number of manufactures out there. Thank you !
I'm sure others will chime in with recommendations, one piece of advice (regardless of the film you choose). Find an installer that you feel comfortable leaving your pride and joy with while they're installing the film.

When you do find an installer:

- Be sure to ask for wrapped edges where possible (meaning that the film will wrap over the edge of the panel)
- Visit their shop and look at some of their installations they've completed, as certain installers may do things differently
- Exam the installation to see if the visible seams are close the edge of the body panel
- You can ask them if they've wrapped your vehicle before, some installers may have wrapped a few, some may have wrapped a hundred...it's best to find an installer you feel comfortable leaving your pride and joy with.
The following users liked this post:
killain (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 04:24 PM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Received 271 Likes on 159 Posts

Also, if you search on the forum for ppf, clear bra, paint protection film you will find many many threads about paint protection film.

About XPEL, we've been in the business since 1997. Our flagship film is called XPEL ULTIMATE. It's a self-healing 8mil thick paint protection film that has a 10-year warranty. Covered defects include: yellowing, staining, cracking, blistering and delaminating. This warranty does not extend coverage to damage caused by normal wear and tear, road debris impact, accidents, collisions or intentional damage of any kind.

We have the best pattern software available on the marketing, meaning you can go to any of our XPEL installers and have an XPEL Pre-Cut kit applied to your vehicle with very minimal need to use a razor blade to fit the film on your vehicle. The pre-cut kits allow for edges to be wrapped, giving you full panel coverage (where possible). Some installers prefer to "custom" fit the film, which involves a bulk piece of film applied and then cut on the vehicle to fit

For a C6 and on, we'd highly recommend a full front end (full hood, full fenders, front bumper, headlights, mirrors) and rocker panels. This will include removing factory film and replacing with our film, which will cover the whole rocker panel, including the area behind the rear tire.

Keep in mind these are what we typically see across the country and it can vary with these factors:
- Where you live
- Demand for paint protection film
- Size of your vehicle

For a partial front end: This includes 18-24” up the hood and fenders, front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights. This ranges from $895 - $1,195.

For full front coverage: This includes the entire hood and front fenders, front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights. This ranges from $1,895 - $2,195.

For full car coverage: This includes every painted surface on the car possible. This ranges from $4,500 - $8,000.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:14 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Not cheap is it...

Not questioning the product just dam it is expensive.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:48 AM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Not cheap is it...

Not questioning the product just dam it is expensive.
So is a repaint
Old 12-31-2016, 05:42 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Ya I guess if one doesn't take care if the paint properly.

Chips from road debris is going to happen even with the Expel I would imagine. Although at 8mils thickness I would hope less often.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:41 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Our Z06 is completely wrapped with Xpel Ultimate.

The installer neglected to put film all the way under the rear bumper. About a 1000 miles of mostly highway driving and the areas without film were getting sand blasted. Cup 2 tires added to the drama. All areas with Xpel were an order of magnitude in better condition.

A dump truck in front of us dropped some gravel and a few of the little missiles nailed the front end of the car. All but one did no damage. One put an indentation in the front bumper cover (or the film?). Other than the indentation, there is no damage...no missing paint, and the surface of the film is not penetrated.

There is no question the film is protecting the car...a lot!

Get notified of new replies

To High Quality Paint protection

Quick Reply: High Quality Paint protection