Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Hose end Foam Gun

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 01:33 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

Default Hose end Foam Gun

I'd like to able to wash all three of our vehicles efficiently and more often, even when it is cold (38-48f). The hands in the bucket thing does not work for me, when it is very cold.

The car gets too dirty for "rinseless" washing.

I'm thinking if I could moisten the car, lay down a thick coat of foam and then gently use a micro fiber towel to dislodge the dirt, that would be the best solution. The next step woud be rinsing with a hose, and then driving the car into the garage to dry, wax, etc. I'm looking at the "HOL 301" from Chemical Guys...

So, here are my questions....I don't have a pressure washer, so I'm wondering if I use a foam gun that attaches to a garden hose? I'm also wondering how effective is this technique?

Anything that gets my hands away from cold water, even briefly, AND cleans my car would be a solid win for me.

Last edited by AdventurePoser; 12-30-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:14 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

A foam gin that attached to your hose is great to presoak a vehicle before washing. You should really still use the 2 bucket wash method to avoid swirls.

Onve washed and rinsed, pulling the car into a warm area while drying is a great idea. Using a Masterblaster or McKee Car Blower can help dry car quickly and avoid hands staying cold. You then simply spritz the paint with Detail Spray of your choice and lightly wipe or blot to remove any spotting or leftover water. These sprays are often well lubricated and add glossing agents too.

www.autogeek.com
Old 12-30-2016, 10:20 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Thanks very much!
Old 01-03-2017, 01:58 PM
tractman
Drifting

Received 945 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by AdventurePoser
I'd like to able to wash all three of our vehicles efficiently and more often, even when it is cold (38-48f). The hands in the bucket thing does not work for me, when it is very cold.

The car gets too dirty for "rinseless" washing.

I'm thinking if I could moisten the car, lay down a thick coat of foam and then gently use a micro fiber towel to dislodge the dirt, that would be the best solution. The next step woud be rinsing with a hose, and then driving the car into the garage to dry, wax, etc. I'm looking at the "HOL 301" from Chemical Guys...

So, here are my questions....I don't have a pressure washer, so I'm wondering if I use a foam gun that attaches to a garden hose? I'm also wondering how effective is this technique?

Anything that gets my hands away from cold water, even briefly, AND cleans my car would be a solid win for me.
I used a foam gun and love it. I also use rubber gloves that come up almost to my elbows.....I don't have any issue with my hands getting cold or my sleeves getting wet. The gloves remain flexible so my dexterity is good so I have no problem handling the wash mitt. My Corvette is not driven in the winter....but I have three other vehicles that require frequent washing in the winter months.

Last edited by tractman; 01-03-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:35 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Originally Posted by tractman
I used a foam gun and love it. I also use rubber gloves that come up almost to my elbows.....I don't have any issue with my hands getting cold or my sleeves getting wet. The gloves remain flexible so my dexterity is good so I have no problem handling the wash mitt. My Corvette is not driven in the winter....but I have three other vehicles that require frequent washing in the winter months.
I appreciate your input. I'd rather not buy a pressure washer if the foam gun works well..

Old 01-03-2017, 05:16 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I just bought the Autogeek foam gun but haven't had a chance to try it out. I will post feedback once I'm able to.

Rick
Old 01-03-2017, 05:43 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,951 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

I use an Adam's Foam Gun, year round when winter weather cooperates temperature wise with great results first foaming, then 2 bucket wash.................. pull inside after rinse to dry using waffle weave microfiber drying towel or Master Blaster, final wipe with Detail Spray.

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...-foam-gun.html
Old 01-03-2017, 05:50 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

Just a side note..........
A "foam gun" will not give you a "thick foam"........

A foam cannon or foam lance (need to be connected to pressure washer) will.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:57 PM
MAD IN NC
Team Owner

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Crowd Plow For Now

I have a HOL 301" from Chemical Guys and is great fro laying down the soap, use a microtowel covered sponge to get at the dirt, rinse with the HOL 301 water mode, the use a Stihl Magnum 600 leaf blower to dry car. Takes longer to clean the wheels than it does to wash the cars/ truck
Old 01-03-2017, 07:09 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

This is what a foam gun looks like

Old 01-03-2017, 11:00 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,951 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

you may need to adjust the amount of car shampoo................

Mike Phillips above using Autogeek foam gun....................
Old 01-05-2017, 08:45 AM
383 Z06
Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

In my experience I tend to use a lot more soap with just the foam gun at the end of the hose. It's what prompted me to purchase a power washer. More even and seemingly thicker coat. I shopped around for power washers and have seen plenty of detailers use the more cost effective electric units with great success. I personally went with a lower power more all purpose PW from home depot and it has made my life WAY easier.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:46 AM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 383 Z06
In my experience I tend to use a lot more soap with just the foam gun at the end of the hose. It's what prompted me to purchase a power washer. More even and seemingly thicker coat. I shopped around for power washers and have seen plenty of detailers use the more cost effective electric units with great success. I personally went with a lower power more all purpose PW from home depot and it has made my life WAY easier.

Get notified of new replies

To Hose end Foam Gun

Quick Reply: Hose end Foam Gun