Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Washing Car Cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 01:03 PM
dshawster
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Washing Car Cover

I haven't had good luck washing my car cover at home, and its at the point where it gets the car dirtier when I put it on. Any good tips or tricks to get them clean? Head down to the laundromat and hang out? Thanks-Dave
Old 01-10-2017, 10:59 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

What kind of cover is it? If it is one of the lightweight indoor nylon covers just put in the washing machine on gentle cycle. Dry on delicate or a timed dry cycle for 20 minutes. If it is an outdoor heavy cover you may need to take it to a laundry with large commercial machines on a gentle cycle and low heat dry.
The following users liked this post:
dshawster (01-11-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 12:32 PM
Spice red Ed
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

I just took my cover to a laundromat and used a four load machine, after washing I brought the cover home and let it air dry. Next time I will use a large dryer on low heat instead of air drying it.
dshawster (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 05:53 PM
Jim D.
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Generally follow the cover maker recommendations, and if you don't have a tag on the cover, there should be help online at their website.

Most seem to say only use a large front loader machine (without a center agitator) at a laundry mat as it is the most gentle on the material. Chemical and temperature can vary depending on material.

Some suggest you can actually "wash" it on the vehicle by turning it inside out and soaping it up, which I have done before when I was younger, but it's not fun and I don't recommend it.

If it is a woven material, a home-size top-loader with a center agitator will eat it up.

No fabric softener.

Tumble dry low heat to be safe.

Last edited by Jim D.; 01-11-2017 at 05:53 PM.
dshawster (01-11-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Washing Car Cover

Quick Reply: Washing Car Cover