Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Meguiars Ultimate Black Tire Coating

Old 01-22-2017, 01:42 PM
ajrubincpa
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Meguiars Ultimate Black Tire Coating

All, this thread applies to any Corvette. Recently, I tried this new product called Meguiars Ultimate Black Tire Coating. Since I generally like Meguiars products anyway, I thought I would give it a try. I usually use Meguiars Endurance Tire Gel. As always, I followed the directions to the letter, being prepared for any problems. The Ultimate Black Tire Coating comes in spray form. I did not like this product at all. The spray gets all over everything, tires, wheels and paint. Fortunately, I was able to wipe off some of the coating off the wheels and paint. Cleaning this mess off the paint was not too bad, I simply buffed it all with Meguiars Ultimate compound and the paint looks like new. The wheels were not as simple. I tried wiping the spray mess off the wheels, but it only made things worse. At one time, it appeared as though I had ruined my brand new wheels. What I ended up doing was buffing out the wheels with Meguiars Ultimate compound. This was not as easy as it sounds. I spent about 4-5 hours cleaning up the wheels and scrubbing the rest of the wheels with a rag, where the buffing pad could not reach. Talk about a pain in the neck. I will never use that spray mess again. To all of you who decide to use this product, use it at your own risk. I will stick with the Endurance tire get.
The following 2 users liked this post by ajrubincpa:
Panhead (01-23-2017), tony abbski (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 01:46 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I've found the best way to apply tire dressing is with a sponge. Spraying stuff on a tire is a really poor application process. I like Blackfire myself, it leaves the tires looking new, not wet and lasts for a while.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rooster OG:
Maxie2U (01-22-2017), owc6 (01-22-2017), Zircon (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 02:08 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

I use the spray for the Volt, with its style of wheels the spray is fine but that taught me never to use the spray on anything else!
Old 01-22-2017, 02:12 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 878 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
I've found the best way to apply tire dressing is with a sponge. Spraying stuff on a tire is a really poor application process. I like Blackfire myself, it leaves the tires looking new, not wet and lasts for a while.
+1 to the sponge
Old 01-22-2017, 02:13 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,826 Posts

+1 that's how I do it. I still have a section of my inter lock driveway where it's discolored when wet when I used a foam spray.

I use Michelin brand. Not sure who actually makes it.
The following users liked this post:
Snowwolfe (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 04:55 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,919 Likes on 4,805 Posts

Thanks for the info, I do as others mentioned apply with a sponge or a wax applicator.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:29 PM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

This.....

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys...+Guys+ACC_2001
The following users liked this post:
USAF (01-27-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 07:43 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,108 Likes on 748 Posts

Sponge works great on the tires. No way you can control spray from getting on your wheels and paint unless you cover them up.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:51 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,132 Likes on 2,236 Posts

I use a tire applicator sponge. I use Stoner More Shine Tire Coating, look the look and it lasts a long time.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:27 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

I have found that the Meguiars Endurance Tire Gel is the best product for a tire dressing. It does not splatter. It remains on the tire surface for weeks, easy to apply with a microfiber sponge applicator.

I suggest that you use a pair of latex gloves as the product is quite oily or greasy. It is quite slick.

I do not use any spray type detail product that comes in an aerosol spray can as you cannot control the spray from hitting paint surfaces or window surfaces.

The best way to apply the Meguiar's Endurance Tire Gel.....

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys...er+applicators

Happy detailing....

Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2017, 09:18 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Which Blackfire product is good for tires? Are you using the Crystal Seal?
Old 01-22-2017, 09:41 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
I use the total eclipse gel. You get a good sized bottle and a little goes a long way. Yes, I use crystal seal too, I like that product because it works and it's really easy to apply.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:46 PM
wonka12_98
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

My first suggestion is posting this in the correct forum, the car care forum may be a better choice. They have vendors who hang out in that forum that have experience in these issues who may be able to answer your question better. I just can't believe a product from a major manufacturer like that would actually almost ruin your wheels, especially when it's a tire product and the manufacturer knows some of this product will certainly get on your wheels. I've used many of these tire products and they have never been a problem. 4-5 hours of buffing? I really hope you are exaggerating here because that's sounds crazy and over the top!

Last edited by wonka12_98; 01-22-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:13 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
I use the total eclipse gel. You get a good sized bottle and a little goes a long way. Yes, I use crystal seal too, I like that product because it works and it's really easy to apply.
Blackfire Crystal Seal is a "paint sealant". You should not use paint sealants on rubber. You need to use a product designed for tires.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:13 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
Blackfire Crystal Seal is a "paint sealant". You should not use paint sealants on rubber. You need to use a product designed for tires.

I'm pretty sure that's what he meant. He uses the gel in the tires and their Crystal Seal on the paint.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:47 AM
Duntov7
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by rooster og
i've found the best way to apply tire dressing is with a sponge. Spraying stuff on a tire is a really poor application process.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:59 AM
ajrubincpa
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wonka12_98
My first suggestion is posting this in the correct forum, the car care forum may be a better choice. They have vendors who hang out in that forum that have experience in these issues who may be able to answer your question better. I just can't believe a product from a major manufacturer like that would actually almost ruin your wheels, especially when it's a tire product and the manufacturer knows some of this product will certainly get on your wheels. I've used many of these tire products and they have never been a problem. 4-5 hours of buffing? I really hope you are exaggerating here because that's sounds crazy and over the top!
Uuh, this was posted in the Car Care Forum, as far as I can see here. Also, it did take 4-5 hours to buff the wheels, because of all the crevices in my wheels and I wanted to make sure I did not miss any spots. For those areas I could not reach, I had to buff or scrub off by hand.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:36 AM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 741 Likes on 470 Posts

Try McKee's Tire Dressing or Gyeon's Q2. No greasing smeary crap Will outlast all those listed above. McKee's really wants a clean tire to begin with-but lasts months and you control how much gloss you want by layers. I have done several vehicles with each product.Customers rave about the look and longevity

Get notified of new replies

To Meguiars Ultimate Black Tire Coating

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Meguiars Ultimate Black Tire Coating