Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Recommend a Wheel Cleaner for Chrome Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 10:32 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,923 Likes on 4,809 Posts

Another recommendation for Adams wheel cleaner, great line of products.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:11 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,057 Posts

So I decided to use Adams wheel cleaner.

Sorry I did not take any pictures.

The wheel barrels were completely covered with a chocolate brown film of unknown source or make up. Initially I tried to remove the crud using a Daytona speed brush and Adams car champoo. This did not remove any of the crud.

So I used the Adams wheel cleaner per the directions. The first application removed approximately 75% of the crud. Parts of the wheel barrels were very clean while other parts still had a thick to light layer of crud requiring a scrubbing using a soft scotch brite pad (?). I ended up applying a second and third coat of the wheel cleaner followed by scrubbing the wheel with the pad. All four wheels required the same three applications and scrubbing. I used approximately 30 ounces of the 32 ounce bottle of wheel cleaner.

The end results are the wheels are very clean.

The brake calipers also had a light layer of crude on them. I used the wheel cleaner on them and scrubbing them with a soft bristled brush. I got the brake calipers cleaned but the paint on the caliper came off in a couple of spots. The crud was thick enough that I could not tell whether or not the paint was already off of the caliper prior to cleaning the calipers.

Does any one have suggestions for touching up the brake calipers where the paint came off? Any sources of touch up paint.

Overall I was very satisfied with the wheel cleaner, would buy another bottle if necessary, and would recommend the product. I should not have to buy another bottle since I hand wash the wheels every time I wash my cars.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I hope this helps someone. And any help regarding my question regarding the brake calipers is appreciated.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:04 AM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like it worked out well. Thank you for the update!

Quick Reply: Recommend a Wheel Cleaner for Chrome Wheels