Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Ceramic Options

Old 02-05-2017, 04:48 PM
ppage27
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Ceramic Options

Briefly looked through the front page of this sub forum and didnt see many threads about ceramic coatings. I have been using zaino but would like to try a ceramic.

What are yalls recommendations? I have a crystal red c6 and my goal is longevity/making cleaning week to week quicker.

I can follow up with questions and do some research once I get some ideas. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
KGS365 (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 05:13 PM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 741 Likes on 470 Posts

Ease of use and looks-try Wolfgang Uber. There are many good coatings to choose from.Before applying any coating you want to polish the defects to the best you can.If not they will be trapped under the coating. Simple maintenance,and a period top off canyield maximum life out of your coating

Last edited by yamabob; 02-05-2017 at 05:13 PM.
ronkh57 (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 06:19 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by yamabob
Ease of use and looks-try Wolfgang Uber. There are many good coatings to choose from.Before applying any coating you want to polish the defects to the best you can.If not they will be trapped under the coating. Simple maintenance,and a period top off canyield maximum life out of your coating
Old 02-05-2017, 09:12 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

I understand if you don't do any paint correction the swirls are locked in until the coating wears off. Other than that anything else to worry about if you don't correct?
Old 02-06-2017, 06:18 AM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 741 Likes on 470 Posts

I don't know why you would not want to polish first. Surface contaminates should be removed. In the very least a mild clay and use a paint cleanser such as Car Pro Eraser to remove any wax /sealant.
People always say Dawn. Wax and sealants are meant to protect against UV and mild chemical damage. While it may lessen the effects of protection( and beading). I would not count on Dawn alone to remove old LSP's. An APC would be a better choice. You want the paint to be a free from anything for maximum bonding-no different really than a wax/sealant. Improper prep is the reason a lot of LSP's don't last as long as they should for people
Old 02-06-2017, 09:06 AM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

I did my Crystal Red '08 over a year ago with DP coating(I think DP is now called McKee 37), and I did the TTA over two years ago with Duragloss Enviorshield. I don't notice any deterioration in the finish on either one. I go over the car with a detail spray every now and then between washes. As mentioned above, preparation is the key to any good finish.

image_0a6ff694d2f500a60d834eaa463986868a 1b6ab5.jpeg[/IMG]
Old 02-06-2017, 09:54 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by yamabob
I don't know why you would not want to polish first. Surface contaminates should be removed. In the very least a mild clay and use a paint cleanser such as Car Pro Eraser to remove any wax /sealant.
People always say Dawn. Wax and sealants are meant to protect against UV and mild chemical damage. While it may lessen the effects of protection( and beading). I would not count on Dawn alone to remove old LSP's. An APC would be a better choice. You want the paint to be a free from anything for maximum bonding-no different really than a wax/sealant. Improper prep is the reason a lot of LSP's don't last as long as they should for people
Don't want to polish it because its a full size truck and I am lazy Claybar and paint cleaner is easy, polishing, not so much. And now the truck needs to leave the garage and be parked outside 24/7 as the C7 is taking its space. Not sure what I'll do at this point.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:33 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 608 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

McKees Paint Coating is priced right; easy to apply
WG Uber Ceramic a bit pricier but very easy to apply
Kamikaze Miyabi is a bit less $$ than WG Uber Ceramic and very easy to apply

Virtual cornucopia of coating choices, some easy to apply, some require more attention.

Definitely worth it unless you enjoy cleaning your car as 'therapy'; once coated, maintenance goes down considerably.
ronkh57 (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 05:07 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

Check out this video on our New Ceramic Paint Coating.
After watching feel free to ask any questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeUT...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-06-2017, 05:44 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

I never understood "ceramic" coatings. How can any ceramic be flexible enough to use on car panels that flex?
And if the product dries as hard as a ceramic then how can you use the same towel to wipe it down? Why wouldnt the small particles of ceramic on the towels surface scratch the finish?
Old 02-06-2017, 08:17 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I never understood "ceramic" coatings. How can any ceramic be flexible enough to use on car panels that flex?
And if the product dries as hard as a ceramic then how can you use the same towel to wipe it down? Why wouldnt the small particles of ceramic on the towels surface scratch the finish?
Wipe off towels go in garbage after use or into an apc solution till cleaned. It does crystalize if it dries.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:03 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

So, are they ceramic or not? Or is ceramic just a buzz word being used to stimulate sales?
Old 02-06-2017, 09:35 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,466 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

So, are they ceramic or not? Or is ceramic just a buzz word being used to stimulate sales?
below are some links with information for you to learn from............

http://adamspolishes.com/paintcoating

http://adamspolishes.com/ceramiccoating
Old 02-07-2017, 04:05 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Not being stubborn, but how can a liquid turn into a solid ceramic and not crack when panels flex?

Last edited by Snowwolfe; 02-07-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:50 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Not being stubborn, but how can a liquid turn into a solid ceramic and not crack when panels flex?
Dunno, but this is what my old Vette looked like when I treaded it in, after 2 years, 28,000 miles in FL sun.............

Old 02-08-2017, 05:18 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 608 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Check out the info/video in below link.
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...h-is-too-much/

Gyeon MOHS description mentions flexibility:
Gyeon Mohs is an easy to apply ceramic coating that adds a durable layer of protection to your paint! If you are looking to show off your paint without sacrificing durability, but simply do not have a ton of time to devote to detailing, paint coatings could be your answer. Gyeon Mohs is pretty easy to apply and comes with simple, yet detailed instructions within the package. Each added layer will improve overall durability, gloss and scratch resistance. In order to achieve the very best results, Gyeon recommends applying 2 layers, 3 layers at the absolute most. The hardness of average car paint is approximately 3-4H and Mohs will add another layer that is 3-4H! This dramatically improves your vehicle's ability to resist environmental contamination, swirls, RIDs, etc. Mohs however is not "too hard" and still reacts to the changes in the environment such as temperature and humidity. This allows the coating to be "flexible" in a way, meaning that even though it is hard enough to protect, it is still soft enough to not develop micro-cracks that can hurt looks or longevity. Once cured, Mohs will easily last up to 12 months or 12,500 miles and the hydrophobic qualities will have you standing back to admire the tight uniform water beads. If you are looking for a coating that will wow you with looks and durability, the Gyeon Mohs may be the one you should try!

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 02-08-2017 at 05:34 AM.
ronkh57 (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 11:16 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Ceramics are classified as inorganic and nonmetallic materials that are essential to our daily lifestyle. Ceramic and materials engineers are the people who design the processes in which these products can be made, create new types of ceramic products, and find different uses for ceramic products in everyday life.

Ceramics are all around us. This category of materials includes things like tile, bricks, plates, glass, and toilets. Ceramics can be found in products like watches (quartz tuning forks-the time keeping devices in watches), snow skies (piezoelectric-ceramics that stress when a voltage is applied to them), automobiles (sparkplugs and ceramic engine parts found in racecars), and phone lines. They can also be found on space shuttles, appliances (enamel coatings), and airplanes (nose cones). Depending on their method of formation, ceramics can be dense or lightweight. Typically, they will demonstrate excellent strength and hardness properties; however, they are often brittle in nature. Ceramics can also be formed to serve as electrically conductive materials, objects allowing electricity to pass through their mass, or insulators, materials preventing the flow of electricity. Some ceramics, like superconductors, also display magnetic properties.

Ceramics are generally made by taking mixtures of clay, earthen elements, powders, and water and shaping them into desired forms. Once the ceramic has been shaped, it is fired in a high temperature oven known as a kiln. Often, ceramics are covered in decorative, waterproof, paint-like substances known as glazes.

Are these coatings ceramic or not?

Last edited by Snowwolfe; 02-08-2017 at 11:17 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Ceramic Options

Old 02-08-2017, 12:26 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

Are these coatings ceramic or not?
My understanding, the coatings themselves are not made of ceramic (like tiles are). But are identical to the coatings USED on ceramics to keep them looking nice (like the coating you'd have on that ceramic tile). They are basically very durable "hard" clear coats, they are usually polymer based.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:29 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I am no scientist and might suggest speaking with someone like the Dr. from Optimum. They are often regarded for bringing one of the first coatings to the consumer and professional market in the US. I know that coatings are often described as "ceramic based" or "glass based" in the past. I think of them more about the hydrophobic benefits they offer over traditional waxes and sealants.

As for a question poised earlier in the post ... several coatings, like Optimum, are quite durable and don't wear off quickly. Sometimes they are called semi-permanent in nature. Anything less than abrasives will not remove all of their makeup on a cars finish. So ... as will anything that is going to be with your ride for a very long time, you should properly prep the paint before a coatings application. If paint is in very good condition, perhaps that means using a paint cleansing or prep product. Others will need polishing to correct paint and bring out the true finish for wish you want to coat and lock in.
ronkh57 (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 03:59 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

I dont doubt the durability. Just trying to find out if the manufacturers are misleading when they call it ceramic coating.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ceramic Options