Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Clay "Mitt" superior experience to Clay Bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 06:47 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

I've just recently (yesterday ) became a nanoskin user. Worked very well on my C7 paint. I was worried about using it on the headlights though. Is it safe for use on plastic headlights? TIA
Old 04-19-2017, 07:41 AM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 122 Posts

I use it on headlights and windshield as well. Just keep it lubed up well and it's fine.
The following users liked this post:
Frodo (04-21-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 10:57 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

I've had Nanoskin since it first came out...does the same job as clay but easier to maintain and use IMHO...
Old 05-19-2017, 12:24 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Love the NanoSkin. My old post here https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...bar-again.html

That was back in 2013 and I have never used clay bar since. I am actually still using the same NanoSkin AutoSrub Towel. Money well spent.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:52 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

In addition to the mitt Autogeek sells a 5.5" pad for a DA that is supposed to be the latest and the greatest. Mike Phillips, the master detailer on Competition Ready TV show demoed one on the show last week on a '55 custom chevy with great results he indicated. Has anyone tried one of these?
Old 05-24-2017, 07:53 PM
FasNuff
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by drs
I noticed a few weeks ago, that my car felt very rough to the touch. This included the paint as well as the windows. I was a little surprised as I take good care of it, and it is normally very smooth and slick. The only thing I can think of, is at the office, they were cleaning the sides of the building with a high-pressure spray that was blowing around. And maybe that coated my car with something.

Anyway, I washed my car thinking whatever it was, would come off with a normal wash. However, after the wash, the roughness remained. So, I washed it a second time and "really scrubbed it". Same result, the roughness remained.

Finally I resigned myself to an episode with a clay bar. As you may know, the bar produces nice results, but it sure is a pain. Then I ran across the Clay Mitt. And I have to admit I ordered it with a bit of reluctance, as I just didn't believe it would work as advertised.

Yesterday, I washed my car (yep, still rough) then went to work with the clay mitt. Application is the same as the bar, you work on one section of the car at a time, liberally spraying some form of lubricant prior to rubbing the car. But instead of constantly folding the clay to keep a 'clean' side for the car, you regularly dip the mitt into a bucket of clean water to remove any contaminants. I did not use a lot of pressure. Just gently rubbed the mitt across the surface, similar to a normal wash mitt. I noticed that when starting a new section, I could feel the roughness and hear a sound like rubbing bare feet across the concrete. Then after the first couple of passes, the roughness was removed, and the sound went away. I was still a little skeptical, but started to have hope that this would work. Sure enough, after finishing up and washing/drying again. The finish was back to a smooth as glass feel.

I don't know that the mitt would work as good as the bar in all situations (like removing rail contaminants, etc.) but for this example, the final result with the mitt was just as good as if I had used a bar. And the process took only 15 minutes or so to complete the entire car, was easier to use, no need to fold, or worry about dropping it. And the mitt is reusable.

If you find yourself in a similar situation and are thinking about using a clay bar, you might try a mitt instead. I'm sure there are many versions, but this is the one I used.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have been using NanoSkin for the past year and couldn't be happier with the results.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:23 PM
Eff A Ford
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 138 Posts

I just clayed my car last night with the sponge thingy and now my paint feels like butter.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:23 PM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

Here's an interesting price comparison on clay bar: you can go on Amazon to buy Zaino clay bar from Eckler's' Amazon vendor site for $34, or you can buy it direct from Zaino for $18.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:06 PM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Eff A Ford
I just clayed my car last night with the sponge thingy and now my paint feels like butter.
It shouldn't feel like butter, it should feel like clean paint.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:28 PM
Eff A Ford
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by LimeRay
It shouldn't feel like butter, it should feel like clean paint.
Well after the wax.

Before it felt like sand paper

Quick Reply: Clay "Mitt" superior experience to Clay Bar