Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

''black'' stuff

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 11:22 AM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

Default ''black'' stuff

so we bought a used vehicle that has black plastic across bottom and around wheel wells . i think they make something to treat this with but haven't a clue what it would be called . give me some clue as to what term to google or better yet a specific recommendation . by the way , when drying car with waffle weave towel i could here the towel dragging on some kind of contamination so i'm gonna have to clay it no matter how apprehensive i am about claying . thanks once again . . . peace
Old 03-11-2017, 05:07 PM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 743 Likes on 471 Posts

if you are referring to the black plastic slash guards-I would highly recommend you to do a nice clean with and APC to remove and previous dressing residue and such. I have gone to a product called Solutions Finish which will help restore the oils( a term not the real thing). It also has a bit of dye to help restore the color. It will dry and not leave any greasy finish that runs in the wet. A second is ideal. Depending on the conditions you can get several months as opposed to the week or so with most dressings.
Don't hesitate on the clay. All cars at some point can benefit. Keep the clay refreshed by using only small pieces at a time. Do not scrub the paint but rather glide back and forth over the surface. Keep well lubed as this will reduce the chance of marring. I would recommend a final polish afterwards to remove any swirl marks either introduced before claying or during. Finish with the LSP of your choice
The following users liked this post:
ronkh57 (03-12-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 08:17 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

If I am understanding you correctly you have a couple options for your trim, the first and most durable is our Trim Coating.
The second is applying VRT which will only last a wash or two.
Both will give you a nice clean, dark looking trim.
Hope this helps!

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...-dressing.html

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...ating-kit.html

Old 03-16-2017, 06:41 PM
Al D
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcypress
so we bought a used vehicle that has black plastic across bottom and around wheel wells . i think they make something to treat this with but haven't a clue what it would be called . give me some clue as to what term to google or better yet a specific recommendation . by the way , when drying car with waffle weave towel i could here the towel dragging on some kind of contamination so i'm gonna have to clay it no matter how apprehensive i am about claying . thanks once again . . . peace
For black plastic, I use "refinish restorer". Odd name, great product. Also hard to find. eBay or google search.
I have a Chevy Avalanche with about 50-60 sf of black plastic. It is awesome.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:03 AM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

It was a happy day when I found this stuff on the Avalanche forum.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:00 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

If the front inner fender panels are in really bad shape I just replace them. They are not expensive and takes about ten minutes to change them out. The rears are a different story, way more expensive and more difficult to install. Usually they take a beating from typical road debris such as small gravel and sand. If reusing the warn panels give them a good cleaning and apply a black plastic restoration product like Back to Black, Finish Restorer, or Adams Trim Coating.

Get notified of new replies

To ''black'' stuff

Quick Reply: ''black'' stuff