Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Black leather seats..thinking about using baby oil..............opinions???

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2002, 06:22 PM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Default Black leather seats..thinking about using baby oil..............opinions???

My black leather seats in my 95 are in really good shape but they dont have that "new" look anymore...I have tried the leather cream from Zaino..meguires, the tannery etc. but it soaks in after a few hours... I have tried to let them sit in the sun with the cream on them and it still does the same thing. How about a thick coat of baby oil on the seats???? Any opinions?
Old 10-05-2002, 08:50 PM
KLO
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Black leather seats..thinking about using baby oil..............opinions??? (corvette95)

Leather conditioners are all designed to soak in. Sounds like you want to make your seats shine?? If you do, of course they will become slick and personally I would not want to set on them myself.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:03 PM
stevetas
Racer

Default Re: Black leather seats..thinking about using baby oil..............opinions??? (corvette95)

I've used many different leather treatments, but have found http://www.leatherique.com/ to give me the best results.

Try it,, You'll like the results.

[Modified by stevetas, 8:03 PM 10/5/2002]
Old 10-06-2002, 04:24 PM
jlfrogy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Black leather seats..thinking about using baby oil..............opinions??? (stevetas)

I don't think it's a good idea. I remember when taking a massage class it was forbidden to use baby oil which is just mineral oil because it does not let the skin breath plugs up the poors. I think it would do the same to the leather. We were actually taught that it would be better to use olive oil than baby oil. This would probably make your car smell like a salad. I'd get the leathertique stuff.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:03 PM
rubyred93
Drifting

Default Re: Black leather seats..thinking about using baby oil..............opinions??? (jlfrogy)

Are you looking to restore a bit of shine to the leather? An application of 303 Aerospace Protectant should suit your needs if that is what you had in mind.

As far as the use of baby oil goes.... :nono: .
Old 10-07-2002, 12:11 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Default Re: Black leather seats..thinking about using baby oil..............opinions??? (rubyred93)

I only use baby oil on my GF, I would not use it on my seats.
Old 10-07-2002, 04:49 PM
mhaber
Racer

Default Re: Black leather seats..thinking about using baby oil..............opinions??? (hcvone)

We'll I suppose you could always try a small section. But, I've read all the ingredient lists on every leather cleaner I can find and I don't recall seeing baby oil, which is really mineral oil with fragrance added. Before you do anything, check out Leatherique. It will restore old leather with amazing results. I only use it about twice a year, and use Zaino in between.
http://www.leatherique.com/

Get notified of new replies

To Black leather seats..thinking about using baby oil..............opinions???

Quick Reply: Black leather seats..thinking about using baby oil..............opinions???