Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

For Intermezzo

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 01:13 PM
DetailingDude
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For Intermezzo

I'm sorry! I was just reading over this string and found this. You asked me to comment on it but I never saw it until now.

2-3X/week: California Car Duster followed by QD spray. Wipe rims with old rag. Nice to know that the California Duster is actually used in Cali and that it's not just a clever name, LOL. I don't have a problem with your using the CD but my hope is that you are using only the 'Tassels' and not applying any force. Those 'Tassels' are coated in wax (a rathe cheap wax) that grabbs the dirt and holds it. You should never press down with the CD as you can be inducing scratches, albeit tiny ones.

1-2X/month: Wash with mild shampoo, dust/vacume interior, dress tires. Good! Sometimes people in the warmers climates choose not to wash the surface of their car, but it is necessary as the water will free-up the dust and grime that is untouched by the CD. Side note: I hate to admit that I use a Turtle Wax product but for a Tire Dressing I really like theirs. It is practically the same one as Zymol's. Given that TW and Zymol are pretty much the same company now I am not sure if it is the same product or not.

1x/month: Mother's Sealer/Glaze followed by P21S Carnauba
I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish with Mother's S/G unless you are trying hide some tiny scratches from the your CD. Glad you are in the habit of waxing. I think you might be over doing this step. P21S is one of the better waxes out there. I don't think you need to be using it this frequently..... wanting is another story. You are not harming anything by doing it this often. Those who say that you can have wax build up are stuck in the past. It is very unlikely with the amout of wax that you put on with P21S, Zymol, Lusso, etc is so microscopic that you won't have to worry about wax build up. And wax doesn't yellow either. This is just one company trying to gain an advantage over another by starting rumors!

1x every three months: P21S Paint Cleanser followed by P21S Carnauba, dress exterior trim, clean/condition leather, dress dashboard. I, once again have to wonder why you do the paint cleanser. You should only need to do that once every year or so. I would suggest that you put 2 or 3 applications of wax on. Since P21S is a true wax (not a polish) you can apply several layers and increase the depth of shine and the clarity of the color. And of course the integrity of the protection is also increased! You didn't say what you are using for a Leather System.

1X every 6 months: dress door/trunk seals, remove tires and completely detail entire wheel & wheel well. I think I need some lessons from you on dedication. This is impressive! I have a car care timeline that I am putting together, do you mind me stealing the thingy about the door/trunk seals? What product do you use?

1X/year: Clay entire car. Compound entire car with 3M Finesse-It II, followed by P21S Cleanser, followed by carnauba wax. Claying, yes. 3M Finesse-It II again, I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish here with this product. The P21S Paint Cleanser should do the trick. Side note: I stick to the Perfect-It II system as they are designed to be less aggressive on the paint. The Perfect-It III system is designed for the harder paints that are leaving the factory these days. Their new Trizact system is probably going to over take both of II and III shorthly.

Of course, I cheat a lot and get lazy, but all in all, I've been following this schedule pretty good. I also do spot claying & spot scratch/water-spot removal with FI-II as needed every month. Lazy!!!???!!! Puhhh-lease! You're my hero!
Old 12-30-2002, 01:07 PM
Intermezzo
Racer

Default Re: For Intermezzo (DetailingDude)

This is impressive! I have a car care timeline that I am putting together, do you mind me stealing the thingy about the door/trunk seals? What product do you use?
No problem at all. In fact, this is pretty standard routine at another forum I frequent. I use either Gummi Phledge (got mine from a BMW dealership) or 303 Aerospace. I'm sure any PDMS based dressing would work.

Thanks for the commentary. I use P21S paint cleanser often because it's so mild. It seems to work closer to a glaze than an abrasive. Also, I use Mother's Sealer/Glaze every month because the stuff is just so darn easy to apply and remove. Every Mother's product I've used has been an absolute joy. Their cleaner wax is wipes off just as easily as P21S and leaves a pretty impressive shine. The Sealer/Glaze does an amazing job of filling swirls & bringing out the shine. I like this line so much, I'm considering switching over to Mother's pure carnauba as soon as my P21S runs out.

I use FI-II to permanently remove any 'incidental' scratches I put on my paint....which is pretty much unavoidable when detailing your car on a regular basis. I also use the PI-II line (Fine Cut Rubbing) on occasion.

[Modified by Intermezzo, 6:15 PM 12/30/2002]
Old 12-30-2002, 03:24 PM
DetailingDude
Team Owner

Default Re: For Intermezzo (Intermezzo)

I use FI-II to permanently remove any 'incidental' scratches I put on my paint....which is pretty much unavoidable when detailing your car on a regular basis. I also use the PI-II line (Fine Cut Rubbing) on occasion.

I stay pretty much within Perfect It II although depending on the task I am switching over to Trizact. I find better results on curves with Perfect It II.... Although the guys at 3M are quick to point out to me that it is a problem with OHS (operator head space). :smash:
Old 12-31-2002, 03:23 PM
Intermezzo
Racer

I stay pretty much within Perfect It II although depending on the task I am switching over to Trizact. I find better results on curves with Perfect It II....
Dude, you realize of course, that the info you posted here is slightly off from the info you post over at Roadfly. You stay within the PI-II line here, but over there you recommend EITHER PI-II or FI-II for fine scratches. You 'saturate' the threads here with your "Ultimate" guides to such and such, same with Roadfly, Miata.net...what's next? Autopia? Can't post there..can you? Because you know that with the level of knowledge they possess over there, they'll see right through you. Why don't you try posting your marvelous articles over at Mobileworks.com and see what happens? LoL

You sing your praises about Trizact, then I mention to you that it's just a system designed to get rotary results with a DA polisher....haha, and then I start reading the same mantra over at Roadfly (I'm sure you'll come up with a good explanation for that one). Dude, you crack me up. :D

Just admit who you are, what company you're associated with (hint, they love Montan wax), and that you're exploiting these online detailing sights to try and make a name for yourself.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:35 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,766 Likes on 969 Posts

Tony, you are the winner :yesnod: :yesnod: meet Mike Martin from Lusso Car Care Products, but he has no "hidden" motive. :lol: :lol:
Old 12-31-2002, 03:58 PM
DetailingDude
Team Owner

My guides are neutral... and sound. I have not come on here and plugged any product. In fact, look at the post on all those forums and I have offered tips on the useage of Zaino and how to get the best results from it. As well as Mother's, Meguiar's, P21S, Pinnacle (although I had an ingredient wrong). People tell me all the time what they use and I have never tried to sway them away from what they use.

As you have stated, on the Miata.net site I have made an appearance. Here's my reply to one post: "I say that if you are happy with a wax and it is doing for you what you want it to do then don't change.

What my intention is not to guide you to specific products but to help you maximize your experienc with your Miata. By that I mean if you get a scratch, I can guide you through the process of removing it safely.

Help you understand your paint, your wheels, your tires, windows, leather, vinyl, plastic back window.

There are some products that yield better results but if you have developed a system that suits you and your needs stick with it.

I mean, I don't like red wine. I like Coke. Always have. I might try Mt. Dew, RC Cola but I remember when I was a kid and my dad and I would have an ice cold Coke out on the back porch and you knew it just didn't get any better than that. But red wine is better for your heart. But Coke is better for my mind!"[/b]

In fact, many people ask me what I use and I simply tell them that I use an array of products.

I have clearly stated my objectives here as a detailing professional. My website will not be geared or directed in any way toward any product. It will be consumer and detailer based.

[Modified by DetailingDude, 3:59 PM 12/31/2002]

[Modified by DetailingDude, 4:00 PM 12/31/2002]
Old 12-31-2002, 04:09 PM
Intermezzo
Racer

What my intention is not to guide you to specific products but to help you maximize your experienc with your Miata. By that I mean if you get a scratch, I can guide you through the process of removing it safely.
No one accused you of being biased or oriented towards a specific product (except for maybe Montan-filled waxes). That's not what's bugging me. :D
Old 12-31-2002, 04:28 PM
DetailingDude
Team Owner

This is an instant message from someone asking me if Zaino is a good as is reported. "Zaino is an excellent product, and their approach is professional when it comes to the care of paint."
--DetailingDude
Old 12-31-2002, 04:35 PM
Intermezzo
Racer

hcvone, how do you try to get a message across to a person like this? LoL

Once again, it's not your biases or lack of biases that I'm talking about. I couldn't care less if you were the biggest Zaino Zealot or a total anti-Zaino-zealot.
Old 12-31-2002, 04:47 PM
DetailingDude
Team Owner

Once again, it's not your biases or lack of biases that I'm talking about.
What is it?
Old 12-31-2002, 06:13 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,766 Likes on 969 Posts

hcvone, how do you try to get a message across to a person like this? LoL

Once again, it's not your biases or lack of biases that I'm talking about. I couldn't care less if you were the biggest Zaino Zealot or a total anti-Zaino-zealot.

Tony, some people are just amazing. ;) :eek:
Old 12-31-2002, 06:41 PM
68Stang
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: For Intermezzo (hcvone)

I'm amazing, but that's because I've got that neat-o 1983 Corvette! :chevy :crazy: :jester
Old 12-31-2002, 09:52 PM
Bill 97 Camaro SS
Burning Brakes

I saw this comming a long time ago, now it is time to sit back and watch :lurk:
Old 01-02-2003, 11:37 AM
Intermezzo
Racer

What is it?
I think my previous posts have made it pretty obvious. But if you want me to spell it out for you, I can.

Basically, you're going around in various detailing forums posting the exact same message you've been posting here....all while passing yourself off as some kind of altruistic, unbiased helper who is only here because several people or several wax manufacturers have "asked" you to. Forgive me but I think that is a load of hogwash! Quite frankly, I find it hard to believe a wax manufacturer would do such a thing. Perhaps you can help me become a believer by telling me exactly who or what company it was that has inspired you to become such an 'online-warrior' for the common detailer? Was it NASA? 3M? Maybe it was the guy from NASA you're interviewing regarding R/O systems?

I think I've read your "I like Coke, not wine" analogy in five different places now. No variation or anything...just the exact same analogy over and over. Let me guess, you're going to use this analogy in your bible??

You post these "guides" in all of these forums you've been cluttering up. Here's a tip..."don't post anything that you haven't already posted at least 5 times already in other forums!" I log into Roadfly, Miata.net and read same self aggrandizement from you that I read over here.

Plus, you've never been up front about your association with Lusso. At the same time, you criticize & make insinuations about the $$$$ interests of the Z-distributors here, which believe me, is NOT why they post here. IMO, they're the ones that should be credited for truly wanting to help ppl. Also, they're up front about who they are.

I can go on, but I've got better things to do with my time.

[Modified by Intermezzo, 4:51 PM 1/2/2003]
Old 01-02-2003, 12:13 PM
DetailingDude
Team Owner

I have given, across the board, general paint car guidelines. I don't think a car care philosophy should vary from car care forum to car care forum. Regardless of the make or model 3M products are the same. A clay bar has the same effect on Corvette paint as it has on Camero Paint.

As far as my association to Lusso I owe an apology. I did not wish to let anybody know of the ties because http://www.TheDetailingBible.com is something which I am doing on my own. I also used to be with Zymol in Europe. I have not come on here to plug Lusso as its marketing is done separatly. And I haven't plugged Lusso or any other car care products company.

I am funding http://www.TheDetailingBible.com from personal funds and more than that with the help of many individuals time.

As far as the "Warrior". There is so much info out there that needs to be laid out in an easy to read manner. It is a personal undertaking much like the efforts of those who have done it before me. The emails, the PM's, and the online support for the information I have provided has been overwhelmingly supportive.

I should have never said the things I have said to Carl and I have apologized to him personally.

As for several MFR's asking me to come on here is not at all what I have said. I have been offered free products, equipment, etc to come on here and talk about products. It was suggested that I come onto CF to help out if possible. It has certainly helped me to refine some of my thoughts.

My philosophy is consistant forum to forum.

[Modified by DetailingDude, 12:38 PM 1/2/2003]
Old 01-02-2003, 12:58 PM
Intermezzo
Racer

I have given, across the board, general paint car guidelines. I don't think a car care philosophy should vary from car care forum to car care forum.
First off, you're missing my point. Second, if what you just said is true, then why do you recommend washing the top panels first over at Roadfly, but over here, you recommend washing the side panels first?
Old 01-02-2003, 12:59 PM
adolph
Le Mans Master

:lurk:

[Modified by adolph, 11:01 AM 1/2/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To For Intermezzo

Old 01-02-2003, 01:08 PM
DetailingDude
Team Owner

Default Re: For Intermezzo (adolph)

You read wrong. When you wash a car you should wash the sides first so that if you lean against it to wash the top you aren't grinding the dirt into the paint.

When you are making the water sheet off that is when you start sheeting the water off from the top.

If I had a typo then my bad.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:17 PM
Intermezzo
Racer

This is your quote from Roadfly:

" The only thing I'd add is wash from the top, where the smallest dirt is, and work your way around and down the car. Save the wheel arches, and for last."

This is your quote from your washing guide here on the vette forum:

"Dip your washing towel into the wash bucket and stir the solution. With your towel saturated wash the sides of your car first. Most everyone else says to start washing on the roof (because that is where the dirt particles are the smallest)"

Over at roadfly, you recommend starting at the top BECAUSE the dirt particles are smaller...but in your guide here, you say that because the dirt is smaller on top, ppl mistakenly start there. So which is it?
Old 01-02-2003, 01:30 PM
DetailingDude
Team Owner

:iagree:

Quick Reply: For Intermezzo