Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Going to really "clean" my wheels, need suggestions on making them shine again

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 03:07 PM
Patman36
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Going to really "clean" my wheels, need suggestions on making them shine again

I have the QF5 high-polished wheels on my 2002 coupe. They look alright save for the fact that they are somewhat cloudy and have swirl marks and "scratches" (not curb rash). I will be having the wheels and tires balanced this week, will have the wheels off the car and then take them to the tire shop to have this done so I have a good opportunity to really clean them, wax them up, and try and get them looking better.

What is the best way to bring my wheels back to life? I have plenty of Zaino stuff including the clay bar if that is necessary. How do I remove the cloudiness and scratches, some kind of 3M product? I appreciate any advice I can get. I don't have the opportunity that often to REALLY clean them and wax them. Any intermediate steps that I can gather would be much appreciated!

Patrick :cheers:
Old 01-19-2003, 10:05 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Default Re: Going to really "clean" my wheels, need suggestions on making them shine again (Patman36)

Patrick, the "cloudiness" you see in your wheels in under the clear coat and is the way these wheels are polished, which is not the great, the polish quality varies from wheel to wheel, I had these wheels on my 00' convertibles and this is what I did. I pulled the wheels off the car and clayed them very well and then applied many coats of Zaino over a few day period, it was around 10 coats and it was pretty easy with the wheels off the car, the wheels looked good, of course you still will have some cloudiness up close but from a dstance they looked good. The only way to do better is remove the clear coat and have them repolished or chrome plated.
Old 01-19-2003, 04:34 PM
Patman36
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Going to really "clean" my wheels, need suggestions on making them shine again (hcvone)

Thanks for the info... I have no idea what I am going to do...

Patrick :hat
Old 01-20-2003, 01:19 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

Default Re: Going to really "clean" my wheels, need suggestions on making them shine again (Patman36)

Send them out to be professionally polished is your best bet. Next time get chrome...Unless you like to rub....
Old 01-24-2003, 07:11 PM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Going to really "clean" my wheels, need suggestions on making them shine again (indypace78)

Send them out to be professionally polished is your best bet. Next time get chrome...Unless you like to rub....
The problem with chrome is it will flake and not last. That's why no reputable manufacturer offers it any more. The high polish is the next best alternative.

These wheels are clear coated like a paint finish.

The best you will be able to do is to treat them like a painted, clear coat finish. Clean the hell out of them, then treat them like the side of the car -- polish and wax.

They'll shine like new. It won't be chrome, but it won't flake off either.

Get notified of new replies

To Going to really "clean" my wheels, need suggestions on making them shine again

Quick Reply: Going to really "clean" my wheels, need suggestions on making them shine again