Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Need to clean Tan Convertible top on C5

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 07:12 PM
PetteVette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to clean Tan Convertible top on C5

What should I use to clean my Convertible top? 2001 C5 with tan top. :confused:
Old 04-11-2003, 09:45 PM
Silver2002
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Need to clean Tan Convertible top on C5 (PetteVette)

Haartz makes a good 2 step process. You can order it from KLO on this forum or else I believe that the National Corvette Museum sells it in their online store. That is what is recommeded for cleaning by GM.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:01 PM
KLO
Safety Car

http://www.haartz.com makes all the fabric for the C-5

Haartz does not really make products to clean and seal their top material, they recommend you use Raggtopp products.

I stock both the Raggtopp cleaner and separate fabric sealer

Here is the cleaning procedure:
Although the fabric does not promote mildew growth by itself, mildew may develop on dirt and other foreign substances that are not removed. This is especially true in warm, humid, dark environments. A program of keeping the fabric clean through regular washings, BEFORE it gets dirty, will enhance the life and beauty of the acrylic and make successive cleaning easier.
Most automatic car washes will not harm cloth top fabrics. Washes with water jets and hanging cloths provide a more gentle cleaning action. Those using heavy barrel brushes could damage the top material. Haartz recommends hand washing. The Haartz Corporation recommends using RAGGTOPP™ Cleaner and RAGGTOPP™ Protectant Hand washing in shade or partial shade, not direct sunlight, is best. DO NOT USE DETERGENT. Bird and tree droppings, as well as other loose particle soils, should be removed immediately. Vacuum with a brush attachment and rinse thoroughly with water to remove loose particle soils. This will also prevent the soils from being redeposited during the cleaning process. Once the fabric has been rinsed thoroughly, spray RAGGTOPP™ Cleaner evenly over the entire surface while still wet. Allow the cleaner to soak for 10 to 20 minutes and then scrub lightly with a soft nylon brush or terry cloth rag. Rinse thoroughly, preferably until no remaining soap foam is observed. Additional cleanings may be required. It is best to determine the need for additional cleanings after
the fabric has dried completely. For more stubborn cases, mix a solution of no more than 1/2 cup (4oz.) bleach and 1/4 cup (2oz.) RAGGTOPP™ Cleaner per gallon of water, soak for approximately 20 minutes and scrub lightly as indicated above. (Excessive soaking with the bleach solution can deteriorate seam threads.) Rinse thoroughly to prevent streaking on painted and
chrome surfaces. Several cleanings may be necessary. Once dry, cleaning must be followed by re-water repelling with RAGGTOPP™ Protectant. (This product does not contain CFC's and therefore, is not harmful to the
environment.) Failure to apply will result in rapid resoiling of the unprotected fabric.

Old 04-12-2003, 07:51 AM
rubyred93
Drifting

Default Re: Need to clean Tan Convertible top on C5 (KLO)

There are a few options available to you; I prefer a product offered by Porsche. It is called Porsche Tequipment Soft Top Wash Shampoo. I have found it to be gentle yet very effective.

It can be purchased here: http://www.properautocare.com :yesnod:

I also use a special soft top brush that is put out by OXO. It has feathered tips and will not harm the stitching or fabric.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:18 PM
RockeVette95
Pro

I use woolite to clean & 303 fabric protector to protect :thumbs:
Old 04-16-2003, 05:21 PM
FYNL4
Pro

Default Re: Need to clean Tan Convertible top on C5 (RockeVette95)

You can't beat RaggTopp...........It's simply the best.... http://www.autofanatics.com/ragprot.html
:thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Need to clean Tan Convertible top on C5

Quick Reply: Need to clean Tan Convertible top on C5