Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

AC car show Ibiz wax salesman trick

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 10:32 AM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default AC car show Ibiz wax salesman trick?

Trick?
At the Atlantic City car show I'm watching this guy do his IBiz sales speech and show with a painted metal surface.
He starts talking about how beading isn't good because of acid rain and such.He says Ibiz doesn't bead.Water sheets off.
He takes a gallon of water and pours it on the surface and yes it's sheeting off......just like every other wax would when applying water evenly on an angle.
Will it bead when car is rinsed with a hose?
He said no.I doubt that.

[Modified by 69er, 11:11 AM 3/8/2004]
Old 03-08-2004, 11:07 AM
Silver2002
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: AC car show Ibiz wax salesman trick? (69er)

They always do demos at Carlisle like this as well. I personally do not care for the product, but alot of people buy, use, and like it.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:54 AM
Preacher
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Default Re: AC car show Ibiz wax salesman trick? (69er)

Semi-on-topic, it always cracks me up when I see wax or car wash commercials that show the water beading up. I have even heard people on the forum talk about how their favorite wax-du-jour beads up so nicely.

If the water is beading, then there are imperfections in the surface that allow the surface tension of the water drop to adhere to the surface of the paint (or wax) collecting more water until the weight of the droplet overcomes the resistance of the imperfection. Those standing drops, if not taken off before they dry, will just leave deposits on the wax or paint, making the surface that much harder to clean properly next time (Not to mention ruining your show-car shine). The rougher the paint, the more dirt adheres, the more you damage your paint when washing as you grind those dried chemicals into the finish etc etc.

What you want, if possible, is a water-break-free surface. A break-free surface is as close to perfectly smooth as you are going to get, eliminating all of the surface imperfections. It will allow the water to run off taking whatever soap, chemicals and hard-water deposits with it. You can get that surface by spending an ungodly amount of time in a paint booth and wet sanding, or you can get a product that fills the small imperfections and produces an even, smooth surface. That is one of the primary functions of a good car wax (not to mention the layer of wax adds depth to the paint)

I don't know the product you mentioned, but if it works as advertised, then it is better than 90% of the crap on the market.

Umm... sorry, rant over....

:leaving:
Old 03-08-2004, 12:01 PM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: AC car show Ibiz wax salesman trick? (Preacher)

All one has to do to eliminate most water beads is too rinse off your car with a hose without the spray nozzle.
Apply the water from a hose on an angle and flood off soap and such.
Less beading.
I have to believe using a nozzle and spraying most if not all products will bead.
The smaller the beads..the better the protection.

[Modified by 69er, 12:01 PM 3/8/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To AC car show Ibiz wax salesman trick

Quick Reply: AC car show Ibiz wax salesman trick