Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Meguiar's MXT vs Zaino

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 09:18 PM
LT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meguiar's MXT vs Zaino

Well, I had to try Meguiars nxt Spray Wax.

It is very easy to apply in the shade. Never apply on a hot finish. Just spray it on either a wet or dry car. Then use a cotton applicator or 100% cotton terry cloth towel to spread it evenly. Use only a thin application. They wait until NTX is fully dry and hazy, then buff to a shine. It was very easy to wipe off. I waited about 30 minutes on a dry day. I recommend that you do a final buff with a clean towel.

The NTX shine looks excellent in the shade but in direct sunlight I could see slight waxy streaks from the last buffing. There was also a slight haze in the finish that most people would never notice. This waxy appearance was reduced by the application of a detailing spray like Zaino Z6 and some additional buffing. It may sound like a lot of buffing but it was quick and easy. I gave the Zaino treatment to 1/2 the trunk lid so I could have a side-by-side comparison.

The Meguiar's nxt Spray Wax appears to be a similar formula to the Meguiar's Scratch X except it is highly diluted. I would expect that NTX should do a good job of reducing light scratches and paint swirls. I would also expect it to do a better job in protecting the finish from dirt and bird droppings.

For the best shine however, I still think Zaino Z1, Z2, Z6 is superior. For this first test I applied NTX over my existing Zaino treated finish. I was not ready to strip the Zaino off for this test. Application over bear paint may produce better results.

Meguiar's is a great new product and I like it. I will continue to evaluate it and I will post what I learn.

Right now it's Zaino for my Z06!
:thumbs:
Old 03-23-2004, 09:47 PM
Marauder
Racer

Default Re: Meguiar's MXT vs Zaino (LT)

When you say you used the spray wax, are you talking about the stuff in a pump bottle? If so, did you put the NXT wax on first. I have used the spray stuff but only after I had applied a coat of the NXT polish in the non spray formula. The spray stuff is like Zaino's Z6, it is a "booster", not the actual polish.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:47 PM
DAVS Y2K
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading this I can only say........................... :banghead: :banghead:
Old 03-23-2004, 10:00 PM
LT
Instructor

Default Re: Meguiar's MXT vs Zaino (Marauder)

I did not use the Meguiar's NXT paste wax first. The Meguiar's nxt Spray Was is NOT like Zaino Z6. NXT has a high concentration of ploymers and a mild abrasive suspension. It drys to a chaukly powder and leaves a relatively heavy layer of polymer ("wax").

Zaino Z6 is more of a wetting agent with some gloss enhancers and it leaves almost no film. It is a true detailing, anti-spotting spray.

Meguire's likely will work better on clean paint. However, I expect that the waxy streaking that was seen in direct sunlight is characteristic of the product.

I will try it under other conditions.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:05 PM
IrishMac
Moderator Emeritus

Gone, but not Forgotten
Cruise-In 5, 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

I did not use the Meguiar's NXT paste wax first. The Meguiar's nxt Spray Was is NOT like Zaino Z6. NXT has a high concentration of ploymers and a mild abrasive suspension. It drys to a chaukly powder and leaves a relatively heavy layer of polymer ("wax").
I would have to strongly disagree with that statement. I used the NXT and it did NOT dry to a "chalky powder" nor did it leave a "heavy layer of polymer (wax)." I think you applied it too heavily, IMO. I found it very easy to apply and remove with excellent results. Just my $0.02. :thumbs:

[Modified by 98BlackMagic, 9:20 PM 3/23/2004]
Old 03-23-2004, 10:19 PM
Scratch
Team Owner

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'09

Default Re: Meguiar's MXT vs Zaino (98BlackMagic)

I would have to strongly disagree with that statement. I used the NXT and it did NOT dry to a "chalky powder" nor did it leave a "heavy layer of polymer (wax)." I think you applied it too heavily, IMO. I found it very easy to apply and remove with excellent results. Just my $0.02. :thumbs:
I'm gonna go with that... :yesnod:
Old 03-23-2004, 10:23 PM
NVTHIS
Le Mans Master

Location: Piedmont, SC Currently Own: 99 Nassau blue FRC. Previously Owned: 84,95,98 Indy Pace,01 Z06
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: Meguiar's MXT vs Zaino (Scratch)

:iagree:
Old 03-23-2004, 10:25 PM
unstressed
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like the instructions were not followed correctly. I used the NXT wax first, and noticed no streaking. The next weekend, I washed the car and used the spray on wax and the original shine was restored.

I cannot tell any difference between Zaino and NXT, both are superior in shine to Meguires Gold class though, and far easier to apply.

Funny thing was that I also tried Z6 over NXT, didn't appear to shine any better or deeper. Not worth the work IMHO.

Read and follow the instructions and I think you will find similar results.

:cheers:
Old 03-23-2004, 10:28 PM
1FunZ06
Burning Brakes

I did not use the Meguiar's NXT paste wax first.
The NXT Spray Wax is meant as a booster wax (between applications) for NXT Tech Wax. My sig pic has only 1 coat of NXT Tech Wax. Car looks awesome. Easy on, easy off. Did whole car in 1 hour after washing.

Car now has 2 coats. I have the Spray wax but haven't used it yet. Others have and say it is even more glossy. Sounds like you applied too much of the spray wax and used it in a way it wasn't intended (without the NXT Tech Wax first).
Old 03-23-2004, 10:40 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Meguiar's MXT vs Zaino (unstressed)

Sadly this appears to be another example of someone not using the product according to the directions and then posting a review.

The NXT Tech wax is the main product. It is to be applied first. The spray wax is supposed to be used as a booster wax and in between applications of the Tech wax. The haze and streaking described is just what will happen if the products are used incorrectly.

LT, wash the car and dry it. Apply a thin coat of the Tech Wax and allow it to dry before buffing. I'm betting that you won't even need the spray wax. But let the car dry before applying the NXT Tech wax. Let the Tech wax dry and buff with microfiber or cotton and you'll be impressed.

Unfortunately the spray wax has been mistaken for a quik detailer or a liquid wax meant to be applied first. It is neither. It is a booster to augment the results of the Tech wax.

Good luck, LT.

[Modified by EB20003, 9:44 PM 3/23/2004]
Old 03-23-2004, 11:08 PM
LT
Instructor

Default Re: Meguiar's MXT vs Zaino (EB20003)

Thanks,
I was aware that I was not applying the Spray wax over the Tech Wax. Meguiar's says that the NXT Spray Wax can also be used by itself. I expect that the Zaino did not provide a compatible surface to accept the spray. I will evaluate the Meguirar's Tech Wax and Spray Wax according to instructions and let you know. By the way, I applied a very thin application over the Zaino surface.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:35 PM
C6 NOIR
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '03-'06-'07-'08-'09

Default Re: Meguiar's MXT vs Zaino (Scratch)

:iagree: have been using it now since the end of January :cheers:
Old 03-24-2004, 12:25 AM
c3&c5 vets
Melting Slicks

don't have mine yet, but from what i read, you can apply the tech wax over zaino. and i think when meguiar's says it can be used by itself, it means by itself only have a layer of tech wax has been applied.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:13 AM
unstressed
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: Meguiar's MXT vs Zaino (c3&c5 vets)

Anyone see a problem using Zaino Z6 over NXT? I have half a bottle left and would like to use it. I like the idea of using it in between washes to get the dust off.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:39 AM
dkdonkim
Burning Brakes

:iagree:

My place is always hazy & smogy. I try the wax & spray, and guess what. About 90% less dust on the car. I am totally amazed. All I do is to use California Dust once a week, and wax on weekend. Amazing stuff.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:44 AM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Meguiar's MXT vs Zaino (dkdonkim)

... All I do is to use California Dust once a week, and wax on weekend. Amazing stuff.
What is California Dust? :confused:

Is it a prewax of some kind?
Old 03-24-2004, 08:39 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Default Re: Meguiar's MXT vs Zaino (EHS)

Here we go again. The NXT vs. Zaino debate. :banghead:

Get notified of new replies

To Meguiar's MXT vs Zaino

Old 03-24-2004, 09:51 AM
IrishMac
Moderator Emeritus

Gone, but not Forgotten
Cruise-In 5, 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Default Re: Meguiar's MXT vs Zaino (EHS)

The California Duster is, well....a duster. It has brushes that are coated with wax to pick up the dust on the paint. Most of the supporting forum vendors carry them. They really work well. A must for every vette owner, IMO. :D
Old 03-24-2004, 10:11 AM
davyalabama
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is like some have complained about Zaino -- Then, when questions were asked not all the directions were followed.

"You mean I was supposed to really shut the power off before cutting that electrical line? I didn't have the lights on or anything. What was the big deal?" :jester
Old 03-24-2004, 11:18 AM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The California Duster is, well....a duster.
Oh, a typo. I thought California Dust was a new car care product from California, like, you know, " :blueangel: dust."

Quick Reply: Meguiar's MXT vs Zaino