Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Zaino vs NXT - Not an opinion, the FACTS...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 09:29 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Re: Zaino vs NXT - Not an opinion, the FACTS... (hcvone)

Let me clear up a few things. When I say cloudy I mean cloudy compared to Zaino. If you used Zaino you know it is a different look compared to carnuba and I think it is different from NXT and WG which have a carnuba look to me which I can best describe as cloudy or milky on black paint.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:13 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Zaino vs NXT - Not an opinion, the FACTS... (agentf1)

The definition of "Opinion" = ... from MY point of view..
An opinion can never be two things, wrong or fact.
Zanio is a great product and like all of them there is a 'right method' to using it to get the best results.
Megs NXT ditto

Beauty is in the 'guy' of the beholder

Old 04-28-2004, 01:58 PM
RDVT4ME
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Zaino vs NXT - Not an opinion, the FACTS... (TOGWT)

One of Mike Phillip's favorite quotes is "Find something you like and use it often".

I think that is a great quote. Not worth fighting over.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:04 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Re: Zaino vs NXT - Not an opinion, the FACTS... (RDVT4ME)

I think Sals motto is do it once and fuggetaboutit. It will look great for a while. :lol:
Old 04-28-2004, 03:06 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Beauty is in the 'guy' of the beholder
I don't know about you but I DON'T want to be in any guy, beholder or not. :jester
Old 04-28-2004, 03:28 PM
C5corvetteman
Safety Car

Well, all I can say is I used Zaino's, once. Will not take a second chance to mess up my clear coat finished. It stained into my clear coat because I put too much on the finish. I thought I put on the thinest coat possible, but I guess I put a bit more on than expected. It came off good, but did not see the cloudy finish and stain until hours later when I went for a drive and parked under the lights at a local gas station. It was more eveident the next day under direct sun light. I emailed Sal and he provided me instructions on removal, but to no avail, the streaks and cloudy apparance was still there. I tried to remove it with DX-330, it worked for the most part, but not completely. :mad :mad However, after using NXT, it cleared it up some, but the remaining cloudy looks has an impact on my shine I desire. Looks like I will eventially have my vehicle painted. :mad :mad Until then, it will be NXT all the way.

Old 04-28-2004, 03:44 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Re: Zaino vs NXT - Not an opinion, the FACTS... (C5corvetteman)

Well, all I can say is I used Zaino's, once. Will not take a second chance to mess up my clear coat finished. It stained into my clear coat because I put too much on the finish. I thought I put on the thinest coat possible, but I guess I put a bit more on than expected. It came off good, but did not see the cloudy finish and stain until hours later when I went for a drive and parked under the lights at a local gas station. It was more eveident the next day under direct sun light. I emailed Sal and he provided me instructions on removal, but to no avail, the streaks and cloudy apparance was still there. I tried to remove it with DX-330, it worked for the most part, but not completely. :mad :mad However, after using NXT, it cleared it up some, but the remaining cloudy looks has an impact on my shine I desire. Looks like I will eventially have my vehicle painted. :mad :mad Until then, it will be NXT all the way.
Thats a first for me. I will have to find a spot inside my truck bed or someplace and pour a blob of zaino on it and let it sit to see if it hurts the paint. I doubt that it will and am unsure what happened to your car. I have had streaks from other products but they always come off after washing or reapplying. :confused: Did you try 3M 39009? If that doesn't work hit it lightly with 2000 grit and bring it back up with 39009. If that doesn't work you don't know what you are doing. 2000 grit followed by 39009 is the cure all and last resort. If you are uncomfortable doing it yourself any good detailer will do it for you. Just make sure you mix a few drops of soap in the water, keep it wet. I like to keep a well used piece of 2000 grit around as it seems to have less bite and polishes back up easier.

[Modified by agentf1, 2:49 PM 4/28/2004]
Old 04-28-2004, 04:03 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Default Re: Zaino vs NXT - Not an opinion, the FACTS... (C5corvetteman)

That is a first, I have poured Zaino polishes on a clear coated car and let sit in the sun all day, I removed it the next day, there was no sign (other than a shiney area) that anything was on that area. :confused: :confused:
Old 04-28-2004, 07:57 PM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 04-29-2004, 10:43 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Re: Zaino vs NXT - Not an opinion, the FACTS... (oldace84)

Well, all I can say is I used Zaino's, once. Will not take a second chance to mess up my clear coat finished. It stained into my clear coat because I put too much on the finish. I thought I put on the thinest coat possible, but I guess I put a bit more on than expected. It came off good, but did not see the cloudy finish and stain until hours later when I went for a drive and parked under the lights at a local gas station. It was more eveident the next day under direct sun light. I emailed Sal and he provided me instructions on removal, but to no avail, the streaks and cloudy apparance was still there. I tried to remove it with DX-330, it worked for the most part, but not completely. However, after using NXT, it cleared it up some, but the remaining cloudy looks has an impact on my shine I desire. Looks like I will eventially have my vehicle painted. Until then, it will be NXT all the way.
Corvetteman, after thinking about your problem I am going to bet that all zaino did was probably leave streaks from being put on too heavy and what you are seeing is probably damage from rubbing to hard on black paint. If I could only give one word of advice to black owners it would be never rub to hard or you will scratch/dull the finish. If 3m 39009 does not fix you problem give the wet sanding a try. If you have or know somebody with a porter cable orbital buffer use that with a foam finishing pad and 3m. I love my pc, it is a great tool for detailing that is very safe and worth the money.

[Modified by agentf1, 9:04 AM 4/30/2004]
Old 04-29-2004, 03:09 PM
69mako
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: Zaino vs NXT - Not an opinion, the FACTS... (hcvone)

Just sold my last bottle of Zaino to the kid down the street to use on his Toyota Camry...

NXT for me from here on out!!!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Old 04-29-2004, 04:26 PM
BlackTieC5
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Zaino vs NXT - Not an opinion, the FACTS... (69mako)

Tell me it ain't so...... Sold/Gave your Zaino away. NXT must really be a great product.

I have NXT on my Black C5 and approve of the shine but the Zaino stays on the shelf for now.
Just sold my last bottle of Zaino to the kid down the street to use on his Toyota Camry...

NXT for me from here on out!!!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Old 04-29-2004, 06:31 PM
mrgil
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Zaino vs NXT - Not an opinion, the FACTS... (BlackTieC5)

I have 3 Coats of Z5 with ZXF and it hides everything.
I'm Zold on Zaino :D :hurray:
Old 04-29-2004, 06:34 PM
mrgil
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Zaino vs NXT - Not an opinion, the FACTS... (mrgil)

Send any unwanted Zaino to
mrgil 145 Tyee Dr pmb1235
Point Roberts WA 98281
Thank you, Thank you very much.
No sense wasting it.
:beatdeadhorse:

[Modified by mrgil, 3:35 PM 4/29/2004]
Old 04-29-2004, 08:14 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

:sleep:

another opinion held out as "fact."
Old 04-29-2004, 11:09 PM
DP77Vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

After reading all of this I would like to comment on a few things said. I've been selling detail products for several years now and based on what was said about Zaino hiding scratches and such plus can be removed with alchol says it's a cover up. Nothing wrong with that but, if you want a perfect paint finish you have to do a paint correction first. Most products out there are cover ups and do not remove scratches. You must go thru the steps of corection before any shine will be perfect. Plus keep in mind that polish is for shine and wax is for protection. Also wax doesn't do a lot of good on clear coat so this may be where the clouds and streaks come from.

The truth is, what works, works!! It's all good!!

I've even got a cheap polish I'll put up against anything.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:44 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

You find this same sort of dialog over on high end audio forums only relating to cables, connectors, power filters and I won't even get into what happens when the discussion turns to the "sound" of speakers.

This is no way to measure a shine. Until that happens its all subjective.

And I don't care what product you choose, waxing/polishing a car is a PITA.

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Zaino vs NXT - Not an opinion, the FACTS...

Old 05-18-2012, 04:39 PM
waunavet
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20

Originally Posted by DP77Vette
After reading all of this I would like to comment on a few things said. I've been selling detail products for several years now and based on what was said about Zaino hiding scratches and such plus can be removed with alchol says it's a cover up. Nothing wrong with that but, if you want a perfect paint finish you have to do a paint correction first. Most products out there are cover ups and do not remove scratches. You must go thru the steps of corection before any shine will be perfect. Plus keep in mind that polish is for shine and wax is for protection. Also wax doesn't do a lot of good on clear coat so this may be where the clouds and streaks come from.

The truth is, what works, works!! It's all good!!

I've even got a cheap polish I'll put up against anything.
This is the smartest thing I've read on this thread.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:57 PM
c6vetteinhouston
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used in NXT in the years past. What I have learned by side by side comparison over several months in the Houston Texas heat, NXT faded really quick within three or four days after application and did not have the crisp depth shine that I got using Zainos.with the Zaino. So, therefore I went back using Zainos for its durability. Did you use the Z-AIO? I have used this only to be a bit disappointed. It did leave small milky look to my black jaguare. Now, all I use is Pinnicale signature Series paste wax and topped off with Z-CS with a good wipe down with Z-6. I will put my vehicle up against any with the shine and finish I have.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:31 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Originally Posted by RDVT4ME
One of Mike Phillip's favorite quotes is "Find something you like and use it often".

I think that is a great quote. Not worth fighting over.

Quick Reply: Zaino vs NXT - Not an opinion, the FACTS...