Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

What is the best wax for a new black C5?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 12:51 AM
BAD 99
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: What is the best wax for a new black C5? (ZaneO)

Pinnacle Souveran

I have 4 black cars , and hand down souveran looks the best

5 year zaino user , and i still use it on my wife black suburban [and my black droped chevy p.u ],
it LAST BUT, no depth

if it sits out side and you dont like to wax ....Zaino
or you would like it to look the best and love to wax 2x more times ,,,,,Souveran

[Modified by BAD 99, 11:56 PM 7/5/2004]
Old 07-06-2004, 06:57 AM
VETTEHEAD68
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What is the best wax for a new black C5? (BAD 99)

Souveran and/or Wolfgang definately with the Black vette...and oh course since it is black...a lot of patience when detailing. Keep yourself stocked up with Microfiber and a couple of waffle weaves to dry with.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Swampthang
Advanced

Welcome to the dark side.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:02 AM
tlc0706
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

This one's kinda old ain't it?
Old 10-13-2010, 01:56 AM
Pizzano
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You must remember, you can listen to everyones suggestions , but when it really comes down to it none of the above will really do its job unless you prep your paint properly, Clay barring is a must to prep the paint. Just as a great paint job begins with its preperation.

I have owned 2 black vettes, and have done all my own detailing for years, It all depends on what you want to achieve with your finish.

Yes swirls are common with black, but they can be removed quite easily by using a dual action orbital ( such as a Porter cable 7424) this machine and some others are perfect for the novice due to the fact that it is virtually impossible to damage your finish with these type of machines.And you get the satisfaction of doing a great job yourself.

The normal procedures are as follows, but not limited to:

Wash vehicle properly.
Clay bar (yes it takes a little time but you will be amazed at what this stuff does).
Intense polish to remove swirls/scratches.
Final polish to remove any marring marks from the swirl removal.
A Glaze can be applied next or you can go right to your favorite polish/wax.

A helpful hint is in between each procedure go over the vehicle with a detailing spray to remove any residue left behind.

Final apply your favorite polish/wax, whether its Zaino, NXT, Griots etc

Instead of me bloating about what products I use, I would suggest to visit WWW.autogeek.net, and browse there website for how to do it yourself guides , they are very helpful for the beginner detailer and such.

Good Luck

Last edited by Pizzano; 10-13-2010 at 02:21 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:11 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Whats clear .... Autogeek still stocks all the best products for black Vettes !!

Sealants -- Wolfgang, Four Star, Rejex
Waxes -- Souveran , Fuzion, Dodo Supernatural
Old 10-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Bradl1982
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

I have Pinnacle Souveran and Meguiars Liquid gold glass in the garage right now. To tell you the truth I can't tell the difference except one cost way more than the other.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Stan MI
Pro

Don't know about the Soveran, never used it. But the MLGC gave a good shine but was a pain in the neck if you touch the trim with it. White residue that is very hard to get off.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:14 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Stan MI
Don't know about the Soveran, never used it. But the MLGC gave a good shine but was a pain in the neck if you touch the trim with it. White residue that is very hard to get off.
pure waxes like our Souveran and Fuzion should not stain trim. I would however suggest taping off trim as possible if you bump it often and find staining from a particular product.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:47 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Buckmaster
Zaino.............best polish for a dark colored car and more durable and lasts longer IMO.
Another vote for Zaino here.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:11 AM
Pizzano
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by agentf1
Another vote for Zaino here.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:35 AM
z06joe
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

When I detail I like to use Zaino AIO on black vehicles.... the ease of use and the quality of the end result hooked me for LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2015, 04:10 PM
NorCal Newbie
5th Gear

Default Thanks!

NXT it is - Great forum!
Old 05-12-2015, 07:30 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Anyone note the age of this post .....2010 ~
Old 05-12-2015, 07:38 PM
NorCal Newbie
5th Gear

Now I did. Went to the store and got some Meguiar's Black Wax.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:47 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

We now offer a color charged wax, Blackfire's Black Ice.

Its a super concentrated, pure hybrid wax with no appreciable cleaners/polishes. You should see no less than 30-50 applications in large jar. The addition on Montan wax makes this one quite special. It ain't cheap but neither is a Vette. One of the best offerings for rich dark luxurious finish.

Pinnacle also released Synergy under its Black Label Line since 2010 ...

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 05-12-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:59 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Default I have a new black C7

I have a brand new black C7. i bought one of the sovereign kits which contained a bottle of car was solution, paint cleaner, waxing clothes, 2 appliactors, bottle of detailer, and a jar of soverein paste wax. (the top of the line small jar that is "pure Carnauba)

My car had been detailed by the dealer, but thankfully they did not make any noticeable swirl marks. I wanted to clear the paint and put the wax job on it hoping to make the black "pop" like my old C5 did.

The car was clean, and I started out by using clay and then washed it again. I tried the paint cleaner, but did not notice anything different. I checked the paint with a plastic bag and it was pretty smooth. I then applied the wax to the hood of my car. I barely noticed a difference.

I wonder what I could be doing wrong?

Originally Posted by BAD 99
Pinnacle Souveran

I have 4 black cars , and hand down souveran looks the best

5 year zaino user , and i still use it on my wife black suburban [and my black droped chevy p.u ],
it LAST BUT, no depth

if it sits out side and you dont like to wax ....Zaino
or you would like it to look the best and love to wax 2x more times ,,,,,Souveran

[Modified by BAD 99, 11:56 PM 7/5/2004]

Last edited by crawfish333; 05-15-2015 at 09:03 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To What is the best wax for a new black C5?

Old 05-15-2015, 10:22 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by crawfish333
I have a brand new black C7. i bought one of the sovereign kits which contained a bottle of car was solution, paint cleaner, waxing clothes, 2 appliactors, bottle of detailer, and a jar of soverein paste wax. (the top of the line small jar that is "pure Carnauba)

My car had been detailed by the dealer, but thankfully they did not make any noticeable swirl marks. I wanted to clear the paint and put the wax job on it hoping to make the black "pop" like my old C5 did.

The car was clean, and I started out by using clay and then washed it again. I tried the paint cleaner, but did not notice anything different. I checked the paint with a plastic bag and it was pretty smooth. I then applied the wax to the hood of my car. I barely noticed a difference.

I wonder what I could be doing wrong?

The paint cleansing lotion is a prepping agent. Its a chemical based paint cleaner that removes old wax and preps the surface for the wax or sealant of your choice. Souveran is a pure wax and will simply add warmth, depth, and wetness to paint. It actually looks better after a little sunlight IMO.

If you find something is missing, you might want to light polish the paint first. Even relatively good paint can be jeweled to amp up gloss and reflection. You cannot expect a wax in a bottle to do this. Consider a great finishing polish and pad. Menzerna is my personal favorite.

One other thing I have noted about Souveran Paste. You don't necessarily notice the difference immediately but once you try another product of similar design (nuba wax) you find yourself wanting to go back. Stand back 7-10 feet and give it an objective look. Ever looked the mirror and you see no difference in yourself, but others see a noted difference. As for the spray, use it sparingly as its concentrated. Souveran Spray Wax is more so, than Crystal Mist but both are best used in a reserved manner.

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 05-15-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:30 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Well I was doing this in the garage last night, so I might need to see it in sunlight. In any case I am going to finish applying the wax tonight. The paint is very clear already after my work and has no pollutants that I can feel with the plastic bag. After I apply the wax, I will use the spray wax or detailer. I used Zaino on my black C-5 and it worked pretty well, but the process is a PITA and I prefer a wax (normally) than sealers and polish. Hopefull it will pop when I have finished.

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
The paint cleansing lotion is a prepping agent. Its a chemical based paint cleaner that removes old wax and preps the surface for the wax or sealant of your choice. Souveran is a pure wax and will simply add warmth, depth, and wetness to paint. It actually looks better after a little sunlight IMO.

If you find something is missing, you might want to light polish the paint first. Even relatively good paint can be jeweled to amp up gloss and reflection. You cannot expect a wax in a bottle to do this. Consider a great finishing polish and pad. Menzerna is my personal favorite.

One other thing I have noted about Souveran Paste. You don't necessarily notice the difference immediately but once you try another product of similar design (nuba wax) you find yourself wanting to go back. Stand back 7-10 feet and give it an objective look. Ever looked the mirror and you see no difference in yourself, but others see a noted difference. As for the spray, use it sparingly as its concentrated. Souveran Spray Wax is more so, than Crystal Mist but both are best used in a reserved manner.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:12 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Ok, I finished doing the wax job with the Sovereign Carnauba paste. I followed it by using the sovereign detailer that came in the kit. I must admit, it looks really nice and my wife says it has a mirror like finish like our old black C5 had. Just one question: would it be beneficial to put additional layers of the wax, or is one coat as good as say 3 coats. Can I deepen the shine any more?

Quick Reply: What is the best wax for a new black C5?