Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Conditioning and breaking in new leather seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 01:44 PM
urg8rb8
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Conditioning and breaking in new leather seats

I've had my 2004 Coupe (brand new from the dealer) now for a few months and i've noticed that the leather on the seats seems very hard and inflexable. This inflexability has created some creasing in the leather. So I decided so basically douse the leather seats with leather conditioner once a week and it seems like the leather is must softer and much more flexable. But I have noticed now that the leather's texture has changed a little bit. My question: is it harmless to frequently put lots of conditioner on brand new leather seats to break them and make them soft? Basically, what is the best way to break the seats in without harming them?

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:05 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Buy some quality leather seats from Ken King at VE and forget about them. I only wish I had the cash to practice what I preach.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:14 AM
DetailingDude
Team Owner

I want you to know that the things I've said in here are not in any way any sort of attack on you. There is a great deal misinformation on just exactly what automotive leather seats are all about. Thank you for taking the time to explain the situation clearly for us.

Originally Posted by urg8rb8
I've had my 2004 Coupe (brand new from the dealer) now for a few months and i've noticed that the leather on the seats seems very hard and inflexable.
That's just how new leather is. Your body will break the leather in and it'll conform to the contours of your body.

This inflexability has created some creasing in the leather.
The thing about Corvettes, Porsches, Lambourghini etc is that it takes a lot more effort to get into than say a Aerostar MiniVan so there will be a lot more creases in the leather. It's unavoidable.

So I decided so basically douse the leather seats with leather conditioner once a week and it seems like the leather is must softer and much more flexable.
In all honesty I don't think the leather conditioner did much of that. Just the everyday driving did the "Breaking In" of the leather.

But I have noticed now that the leather's texture has changed a little bit.
I can't really comment on this as that's quite subjective. I'm not saying it didn't happen, and I'm not at all surprised that it is but again, that's something that'll happen as you use it.

My question: is it harmless to frequently put lots of conditioner on brand new leather seats to break them and make them soft?
When I break in as Softball mit I do that but it's a different sort of leather finish than automotive leather. A softball mit is dyed whereas your automotive leather is dyed then painted.

Leather is first dyed to a color that's going to be close to the color of the final top coating so that shoulid damage occur they the damage won't be as apparent.

The painting that's done to the leather is similar to the paint on the exterior of your Corvette (minus the clear coat). When you're waxing your Corvette you're not waxing the the Fiberglass you're waxing the paint... the same with your leather.

Basically, what is the best way to break the seats in without harming them?
There's not a lot you can do except be careful getting in and out. Being that the Corvette is so much lower to the ground there will be some 'rub spots' where you're going to want to be quite careful.

Those creases are the leather conforming to the unique contours of your body.

I should also add that while you've been conditioning you should also be cleaning as you don't want to be trapping dirt on the leather.

I'm sure I'll thik of more stuff to add to this but this gives you a bit more insight into what's actually happening with your Corvette Leather Seats.

Old 07-20-2004, 10:16 AM
DetailingDude
Team Owner

Originally Posted by agentf1
Buy some quality leather seats from Ken King at VE and forget about them. I only wish I had the cash to practice what I preach.
You again!! Didn't we already have a go around on this!!
Old 07-20-2004, 11:50 AM
urg8rb8
Drifting

Originally Posted by DetailingDude
I'm sure I'll thik of more stuff to add to this but this gives you a bit more insight into what's actually happening with your Corvette Leather Seats.
Thanks for the reply. But it really does feel like the conditioner made the leather softer and flexiable. Another question I didn't ask is (actually I did but I don't feel I understand the answer clearly), is putting a lot of conditioner at a frequent basis harmful to the leather?

Last edited by urg8rb8; 07-20-2004 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:10 PM
DetailingDude
Team Owner

Thanks for the reply. But it really does feel like the conditioner made the leather softer and flexiable. Another question I didn't ask is, is putting a lot of conditioner at a frequent basis harmful to the leather?
Again, that's a preception IMO. The top coat has sealed the Leather much the way the paint has sealed your fiberglass. The conditioner hasn't, or atleast shouldn't have, penetrated the top coat.

IMO you can put too much conditioner on. What you can have is some build up on the seats that can lead to dye being transferred from your clothing onto the seats... especially if you're wearing a non-top coated item such as leather jacked, belt etc... and especially blue jeans (or Black if that's your color).

Cleaning is your leather seats are most important.

A couple of extra leather car tips:
  • Heat is bad for the synthetic oils that are in the leather itsself. When it's especially hot out during the summer leave the windows cracked slightly to allow the heat out of your Corvette.
  • Whenever possible block the seats from direct sunlight. Although automovie leater is "desert tested" for color fastness UV rays can still be harmful to the leather in the long run.
  • Protecting leather should consist of a UV block that is reapplied monthy along with a stain guard such as 3M Scothch Guard reapplied monthly as well.
  • Clean the Leather frequently. Sometimes it may be necessary to use a natural-hair scrub brush to clean deeply.

Let me add that the C1s, C2s and C3s did not have top coated leather so those would actually be conditioning the leather so additional conditioning of that would be beneficial but not on top coated leather such as yours.

Old 07-20-2004, 01:39 PM
urg8rb8
Drifting

Originally Posted by DetailingDude
Let me add that the C1s, C2s and C3s did not have top coated leather so those would actually be conditioning the leather so additional conditioning of that would be beneficial but not on top coated leather such as yours.
So are you saying to not condition the leather seats at all? If not, how often should it be done?

Also, since we are on a roll here, what would you recommend for the dashboard and the door panels? Thanks for your input!
Old 07-20-2004, 03:34 PM
DetailingDude
Team Owner

So are you saying to not condition the leather seats at all? If not, how often should it be done?
I'm not saying to not do it..... because some of the "Conditioners" have a UV block in them and they do have some benefits to the paint on the leather as does waxing non-Clear Coated paint... especially if you're trying to revive the seats.

How often? Monthly but don't go slathering it on there. Just as you wouldn't slather on your wax. A tiny amount can do the trick just fine... and I also suggest a final buff with a Terry Cloth Towel as that can remove any film or residue that can attract dirt or lead to dye transferring.

Also, since we are on a roll here, what would you recommend for the dashboard and the door panels? Thanks for your input!
Good subject for a new thread as there are many different surfaces between generations.

Get notified of new replies

To Conditioning and breaking in new leather seats

Quick Reply: Conditioning and breaking in new leather seats