Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Zaino Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 07:42 AM
mojo1
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by ZaneO
Out of curiousity, what others have you tried?

Poorboys, Wolfgang, Pinnacle, UPP, Klasse, ClearKote, P21s/S100?
Been awhile and don't remember what all I have tried, but I still use Zaino
Old 08-02-2014, 08:07 AM
Merlinii
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I own a detail shop is South Florida. On average I spend 24-30 hours cleaning, decontaminating and polishing the paint. I am a big fan of Zaino products.

As stated above, the key is "Prep, Prep, Prep, and more Prep". If you put Z-2 on top of paint defects & swirls you will have very shiny defects and swirls.

I like Z-5 on darker colors. Z-5 has a softer, warmer finish. I like Z-2 on white & lighter colors. Z-2 has a brightness & shine. I use ZFX with Z-2 and Z-5.

There is nothing complicated about mixing Zaino polish with ZFX. For that black "wet look" I'll use 3 coats of Z-5 followed with at least 3-6 coats of Z-2.
The Zaino White towels & Z-6 is very helpful for removing Z-5/Z-2 polish. For the Saturday night out/car show finish use Z-8 with Zaino blonde towels.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:52 PM
N227GB
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'19-'20,'23

Originally Posted by Merlinii
The Zaino White towels & Z-6 is very helpful for removing Z-5/Z-2 polish. For the Saturday night out/car show finish use Z-8 with Zaino blonde towels.
These are sold out on Zaino website. What's a good alternative?
Old 08-06-2014, 02:46 PM
Merlinii
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by N227GB
These are sold out on Zaino website. What's a good alternative?
I might suggest Carpro BOA Towels, Yellow Fellow 2.0 and Crazy Pile towels.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:00 PM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Default Zaino Feedback

We've been using Zaino since 2001 and have always been impressed by how well it works and especially how long it lasts. We first used it on a 62 Vette and after seeing the results converted every vehicle we had whether show car or daily driver. We haven't found Zaino to take any more effort than the other products we've used and have followed their directions closely. The comments regarding preparation are right on the mark. One Zaino product we found particularly useful is their PC Fusion for polishing to remove any marks prior to applying the Z2 or Z5. I usually use a Porter-Cable buffer with a soft foam pad but have also done small areas by hand. Then it's Z5 for darker colors or Z2 for lighter colors followed by their Z6 detailer all of which are removed with their blonde towels.

We've had many folks ask us what we use. While we tell them everything we use and how we do it we do so with the suggestion to just use whatever works best and looks best to them. Everyone has their own mental image of what their paint finish should look like whether it's depth, shine or longevity as well as how much work it takes to get it that way and maintain. For all three aspects we like Zaino.

Rich
Old 08-15-2014, 02:17 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Absolutely gorgeous and what we see coming out of our shop also.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:36 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMHO Zaino is best used in multiple coats.
The prep is what matters most, and nothing will cover up bad prep - period.
Once the defects are satisfactorily removed and the car is properly prepped, I've found that 3-5 very light coats of Zaino has a unique wet look over other produicts.
True, it's a lot of coats and a lot of work, but done on successive days left to dry overnight and then to cure each day, the results are amazing. Each successive coat is easier to apply and buff too.
This is just not practical for most people and doing a DD this way just will not work.
If the car you are doing is not a DD and can be garaged thru the whole process, it works great.

For my DD's I usually use the Zaino AIO, followed by a single coat of Z2. Good enough, and really lasts.

Last edited by BSE1956; 08-19-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:58 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Zaino since 97 on my rides, i love it, and get comps on my finish all the time, and layering adds protection against road rash, tar does not stick, bird poop or sap does not etch the clear coat and neither do bugs......

no swirls....

as state, prep is everything..... but this non solvent polymer is the best ive have ever used and ive been detailing since 1967. ive have folks come by here for years and introduced them to zaino and none ever went back to their old products. Sorry you are not happy. Remember, carnauba is water soluble...zaino is not.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:10 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

WOLFDOGS what do you think of my first coat of ZAINO Z2-Pro

Tom
Old 08-29-2014, 09:48 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
WOLFDOGS what do you think of my first coat of ZAINO Z2-Pro

Tom
sweet, but most of all, damn, what a sweet c7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2014, 02:18 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
sweet, but most of all, damn, what a sweet c7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks, I now have my second coat and am thinking about trying Sal's Z-CS Clear Seal.

Have you used this and what is your opinion., tips or tricks to maximize its effect?

Tom
Old 08-31-2014, 09:03 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Thanks, I now have my second coat and am thinking about trying Sal's Z-CS Clear Seal.

Have you used this and what is your opinion., tips or tricks to maximize its effect?

Tom
Use as little as you possibly can to cover the surface. You will probably need to wipe down with Z6 or Z8 after the CS has cured to remove the smears. Others on this Forum report they can get CS to cure with no smears or streaks but I have never been able to get this to happen despite many attempts.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:55 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BIGMAC
Use as little as you possibly can to cover the surface. You will probably need to wipe down with Z6 or Z8 after the CS has cured to remove the smears. Others on this Forum report they can get CS to cure with no smears or streaks but I have never been able to get this to happen despite many attempts.
Thanks for the tip and yes I had planned on applying as "little as possible" the first time I use it. You can't go wrong that way, like my momma said about adding salt and pepper to food, you can always add more but you can't take away too much.

As soon as I get and use it I'll post up a separate review.

Tom
Old 08-23-2016, 04:36 PM
edlebby
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just purchased Zaino for the first time

in reading their how to on their website, they recommend shampooing the car after clay bar - i assume they want no oils or other residue on prior to their product

my question is (and i assume yes) would the same go for polishing compounds? - so if i clay bar and then buff with a machine polisher, would Zaino require that to be shampoo'd again prior to applying their products?

thanks
Old 08-24-2016, 09:26 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by edlebby
Just purchased Zaino for the first time

in reading their how to on their website, they recommend shampooing the car after clay bar - i assume they want no oils or other residue on prior to their product

my question is (and i assume yes) would the same go for polishing compounds? - so if i clay bar and then buff with a machine polisher, would Zaino require that to be shampoo'd again prior to applying their products?

thanks
Yes, or an IPA wipe down. I don't believe sealants respond well to oils.

Last edited by Kvothe; 08-24-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:22 PM
edlebby
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks Kvothe

Arliden and Laurian raised you well

Quick Reply: Zaino Review