Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Whats best for a dark red color ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 03:38 PM
Dream C-5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Whats best for a dark red color ?

Hi all,
I am new to the Corvette world. I just purchased an 03 50th Anniv. coupe with 11,000 iles on it. I noticed in the bright sunlight that the metalflakes in the paint really pop but I aslso noticed a lot of swirls in the paint My question is what is a good product to use on my Vette to remove the swirls and to protect it from getteing more in the future.
Thanks in advance.

Fred
Old 09-20-2004, 03:53 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

The Porter Cable 7424 is a great tool to invest in. It makes life much easier. http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=47

I have had good success with Menzerna polishes and Poorboy's polishes. Another good one (espcially by hand) is Einzett polishes.

I really Klasse AIO with Wolfgang Sealant over it. Sealants and waxes are really a personal preference. You'll get bombarded with people telling you Zaino or NXT, but remember the most important aspect is prep work.

Remember also, that a good washing/drying technique, along with good towels and mitts will help maintain your swirl-free finish.

I buy my supplies from: www.pakshak.com www.topoftheline.com www.autogeek.net

Good luck and feel free to ask any other questions.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:47 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Try 3m SSR 39009 to remove the swirls then wipe down with 50/50 water and alchohol and apply Zaino. If you don't want to use Zaino I would go with Pinnacle Souveran but you will get no durability from a carnuba. Definetly get a PC 7336.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:10 PM
wildman378
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you buy pinnacle wax get the signature it's better for DARK metallics where as soveran is better on dark SOILD colors.

signature will make the metallic "pop"!
Old 09-20-2004, 05:28 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Originally Posted by agentf1
Try 3m SSR 39009 to remove the swirls then wipe down with 50/50 water and alchohol and apply Zaino. If you don't want to use Zaino I would go with Pinnacle Souveran but you will get no durability from a carnuba. Definetly get a PC 7336.
I thought you weren't happy with your SMR
Old 09-20-2004, 06:19 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Not the very best pic, as the sun was setting. But recently bought the wife a CTS and got an opportunity to clean it up for her. It got a wash, claying, DACP, and two coats of protection, one of Klasse AIO and put a coat of Poorboys EX on her the same weekend to add a little more depth and wetness to the reflectivity of the sealant.

Last edited by Killrwheels; 09-24-2004 at 05:21 AM.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:37 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Liquid Glass Polish has been great to me since 1979 it is the gold can with the pink c-2 Corvette on it and is about $19.00.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:46 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LS WON
Liquid Glass Polish has been great to me since 1979 it is the gold can with the pink c-2 Corvette on it and is about $19.00.
We all know you use LG. What other high end products have you used?
Old 09-21-2004, 05:03 PM
Tenderfoot
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats. I have a 50th AE coupe as well. Others have answered your question regarding swirl marks. Regarding wax/polish, I used Zaino Z5 and Z2 with ZFX previously. Had 15-20 coats of Zaino on my car in 1 year. I have since tried NXT tech wax and have switched. To me, the shine is deeper and richer looking, esp. in the sun where the gold flakes really pop as compared to the many Zaino layers. Also the NXT did a better job hiding small scratches/swirls than multiple layers of Z5. Not too concerned about NXT's durability as I wax/polish often (see comment about number of coats applied in 1 year). I still use the Z7 car wash, Zaino clay bar, and Z6 detailer spray on top of the NXT. I tried the NXT spray wax and didn't care too much for it. The Tech Wax + Z6 does it for me. I might try the Pinnacle Signature once the tech wax is used up. Might switch to that or return to NXT depending on those results.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:07 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ZaneO
We all know you use LG. What other high end products have you used?
Turtle wax and that stuff from 7-Eleven.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:10 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tenderfoot
Congrats. I have a 50th AE coupe as well. Others have answered your question regarding swirl marks. Regarding wax/polish, I used Zaino Z5 and Z2 with ZFX previously. Had 15-20 coats of Zaino on my car in 1 year. I have since tried NXT tech wax and have switched. To me, the shine is deeper and richer looking, esp. in the sun where the gold flakes really pop as compared to the many Zaino layers. Also the NXT did a better job hiding small scratches/swirls than multiple layers of Z5. Not too concerned about NXT's durability as I wax/polish often (see comment about number of coats applied in 1 year). I still use the Z7 car wash, Zaino clay bar, and Z6 detailer spray on top of the NXT. I tried the NXT spray wax and didn't care too much for it. The Tech Wax + Z6 does it for me. I might try the Pinnacle Signature once the tech wax is used up. Might switch to that or return to NXT depending on those results.
Don't forget those colors have a tendency to fade out over time. Probably best thing to do is keep it in a garage and maybe SOMEONE out there can recommend a product if there is any for to keep this redish color from washing/fading out
Old 09-22-2004, 12:52 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Turtle wax and that stuff from 7-Eleven.
I figured so. No real answer?
Old 09-22-2004, 09:28 AM
Dream C-5
Racer

Originally Posted by Tenderfoot
Thanks,
I will give that a try.

Fred
Old 09-22-2004, 10:04 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by ZaneO
I thought you weren't happy with your SMR
I am very happy with 3m ssr 39009 but am always looking for something better. I just put an order in for Poorboys ssr 2.5 and ssr 1 and will see how that compares.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:54 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Originally Posted by agentf1
I am very happy with 3m ssr 39009 but am always looking for something better. I just put an order in for Poorboys ssr 2.5 and ssr 1 and will see how that compares.
You should be very pleased. They are both wonderful products.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:18 PM
JM19
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget those colors have a tendency to fade out over time. Probably best thing to do is keep it in a garage and maybe SOMEONE out there can recommend a product if there is any for to keep this redish color from washing/fading out
I hope you're joking with the fading comment...?
Old 09-23-2004, 03:14 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JM19
I hope you're joking with the fading comment...?
See for yourself look at all older red cars not just the Corvettes i.e. z/28 in that red or any red car all makes and models.. nature of red is to fade over time.

Get notified of new replies

To Whats best for a dark red color ?

Old 09-23-2004, 07:10 AM
yankees1
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have an 03 Ann Ed vette and I use Pinnacle Souveran! I started with Z but I like the way Souveran makes the paint look deeper and richer. Z did make it look more shinier but that was not the effect I wanted.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:38 AM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

See for yourself look at all older red cars not just the Corvettes i.e. z/28 in that red or any red car all makes and models.. nature of red is to fade over time.
not true !

The top coat of all modern cars is clearcoat, which is clear. The red is hidden and protected underneath this coating. Also, metallic reds have metal flake which actually refracts light away from the finish thus can reduce some of the heat issues on the clearcoat.

What commonly happens on red cars, is that the owner fails to properly keep the finish up. Clearcoat naturally gets marred, scratched, and damaged by the pollutants in the atmosphere. So it looks faded, but in truth is just not very "clear" any longer. If you remove contaminents and repair this quickly it will leave your finish "better than showroom new". Protection is the key both by allowing the clearcoat to do its job properly, and the use of protection (waxes and sealants) to enhance and protect this level.

The other issue is the failure of the clearcoat, due to harsh chemicals, lack of upkeep, and heavy polishing and compounding by inexperienced detailers. Once this level is gone, well then the color or basecoat takes the brunt of it and after several months starts to fade.
You want a red car to look well over the many years of use. Get out there and wash it weekly. Clay it once or twice a year. Keep it protected with good wax or sealant, and between this protection find a good quick detailer with UV protection. Your red will "pop" for years to come.

Last edited by Killrwheels; 09-23-2004 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:35 AM
Dream C-5
Racer

Originally Posted by Killrwheels
not true !

The top coat of all modern cars is clearcoat, which is clear. The red is hidden and protected underneath this coating. Also, metallic reds have metal flake which actually refracts light away from the finish thus can reduce some of the heat issues on the clearcoat.

What commonly happens on red cars, is that the owner fails to properly keep the finish up. Clearcoat naturally gets marred, scratched, and damaged by the pollutants in the atmosphere. So it looks faded, but in truth is just not very "clear" any longer. If you remove contaminents and repair this quickly it will leave your finish "better than showroom new". Protection is the key both by allowing the clearcoat to do its job properly, and the use of protection (waxes and sealants) to enhance and protect this level. That sounds like good advice
Thanks.

The other issue is the failure of the clearcoat, due to harsh chemicals, lack of upkeep, and heavy polishing and compounding by inexperienced detailers. Once this level is gone, well then the color or basecoat takes the brunt of it and after several months starts to fade.
You want a red car to look well over the many years of use. Get out there and wash it weekly. Clay it once or twice a year. Keep it protected with good wax or sealant, and between this protection find a good quick detailer with UV protection. Your red will "pop" for years to come.
Thanks ,
that sounds like really good advice. I will keep that in mind.

Fred

Quick Reply: Whats best for a dark red color ?