Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Its time.........

Old 09-21-2004, 06:30 PM
z06 Rules
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Its time.........

ok, its been over 3 years since I have owned the black Z06. I have taken occasional care but not too much. I have clayed it when it was new and have had multiple Zaino coats. I have Zainoed it every 6 months or so. But now it doesn;t look as good so I need to find out how do I restore??

My take is to wash it with dish washing soap to take all the wax off. Clay it and then put few coats of wax on it. What do you guys think???

The paint is not smooth at all now and does have quite a few swirl marks. Oh and it also has water marks and bunch of other crap that you would get on your daily driver in over three years.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by z06 Rules; 09-21-2004 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:40 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by z06 Rules
ok, its been over 3 years since I have owned the black Z06. I have taken occasional care but not too much. I have clayed it when it was new and have had multiple Zaino coats. I have Zainoed it every 6 months or so. But now it doesn;t look as good so I need to find out how do I restore??

My take is to wash it with dish washing soap to take all the wax off. Clay it and then put few coats of wax on it. What do you guys think???

The paint is not smooth at all now and does have quite a few swirl marks.

WRONG .... at least partially.

Zaino is not a wax it is a sealant and as such will not be removed with a dishwashing liquid. Dont believe that hogwash....

1. Wash --- Clean car with a good carwash soap.
2. Clay --- Use lots of liquid and cover each area until smooth, this will also remove alot of the sealant.
3. Dry Car
4. Polish --- this will remove small surface scratches and marring from the finish. It will also remove any remaining protectant.
5. Seal --- Wax or sealant , your choice. You miss the rich depth and wetness then look to a carnuba but you will need to apply more often.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:00 PM
z06 Rules
Racer

Thanks for your reply. So I have missed polish in the whole equation and apparently have never polished my car.

I have always Zainoed it. So which polish is recommended?? Can polish be done by hand or does it require the machine that the detailers use?
Old 09-21-2004, 07:09 PM
fast95vette
Advanced

"So which polish is recommended??"

Pinnacle makes a great polish called paintwork cleansing lotion give that a try.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:34 PM
jrh009
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just spent a day on my new 04 Z06, claying and applying Zaino. Noticed after claying and washing with Zaino wash that I could still feel small bumps in some areas, but only when using my hand in a saran baggie. No dragging, just not smooth. If I used my bare hand the finsih felt smooth. Due time of year and limited driving time left I sealed with Z2.

Is the rough feel normal, should I re clay and polish next spring and then apply the Zaino product. Am I being too critcal with a plastic car finish? Hope these comments are consistant with this thread.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:01 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jrh009
Is the rough feel normal, should I re clay and polish next spring and then apply the Zaino product. Am I being too critcal with a plastic car finish? Hope these comments are consistant with this thread.
If it has to do with car cleaning and upkeep, it seems consistant to me!

You are very correct, you need to clay. Some contaments are larger and will studder, others are smaller and will slightly snag. When you clay you will rub alot of lubricant over the area and then glide, not grind, the clay over the area. When its so slipperly it feels it might just shoot out of your hand, you are done. Now imagine every nook and cranny on the car. (You might need all winter, just joking) You will only need to do this step every 8-12 months under normal use and slightly less if car is a garage queen or king.

As for polishes , you should benefit yourself by purchasing a Porter Cable 7336 or 7424. It is a speed changable "orbital" buffer and will help remove minor scratches and marring while being very hard to do any real damage. Using a "rotary" like the professionals is best left for someone understanding them as they can "burn" the paint.

Some real good polishes .... Einszett Paint Polish (Green Can), Menzerna Final Polish and the Poorboys SSR line. Unfortunately you cannot purchase all three at the same store, so your gonna need to pick one ... try www.detailersparadise.com , www.properautocare.com and www.autogeek.net for same order.

As said above Pinnacle Paintwork Lotion is a very good "chemical" cleaner and "filler". It chemically strips contaminents and it hides surface scratches but it will NOT remove them the way an abrasive polish will. (those above). Pinnacle does have abrasive polishes like Swirl Remover and Advanced Swirl Remover, and while I have them, I have not tried currently. www.pinnaclewax.com
Old 09-21-2004, 10:05 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

In case anything is purchased at www.autogeek.net our supporting vendor, remember couponcode "corvetteforum" on checkout to save another 10% off. Works at Pinnaclewax.com also, at least it did !!
Old 09-21-2004, 11:19 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fast95vette
"So which polish is recommended??"

Pinnacle makes a great polish called paintwork cleansing lotion give that a try.

That polish won't really remove swirls and restore all of the shine. Something like Menzerna, Poorboy's, Einzett, etc. is needed for that.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:58 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by ZaneO
That polish won't really remove swirls and restore all of the shine. Something like Menzerna, Poorboy's, Einzett, etc. is needed for that.
Zane0 don't forget the liquid glass polish that removes scratches and does everything else that is needed

Last edited by LS WON; 09-21-2004 at 11:59 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 09-22-2004, 12:55 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

So does Klasse AIO and Poorboy's PwC and ClearKote's Vanilla Moose.

But I'm sure you've had lots of experience with those products and already knew that.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:23 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,765 Likes on 968 Posts

The paint is not smooth at all now and does have quite a few swirl marks. Oh and it also has water marks and bunch of other crap that you would get on your daily driver in over three years.

If you have a buffer 3M Scratch and Swirl Remover will do a good job on any swirl marks or light to medium scratches, it will also remove any water marks. You can pick that up at most Pep Boys stores.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:25 PM
z06 Rules
Racer

Thanks for all of your replies. I think I will be doing it this weekend.
I have a 3M swirl remover already sitting in the garage. So if I decided to use that would I use it after step 3 of kllrwheels process??? and then step 4??
Old 09-22-2004, 01:53 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Here is something that might make the whole process clearer: http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=28
Old 09-22-2004, 07:00 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Thanks for all of your replies. I think I will be doing it this weekend.
I have a 3M swirl remover already sitting in the garage. So if I decided to use that would I use it after step 3 of kllrwheels process??? and then step 4??
yes that is correct , you can use any polish or abrasive product for step 3. I would tell you, and believe most others will, that their is a difference between polishes. You want a store bought item versus mail ??? Look for Mequires Dual Action Cleaner Polish (or DACP). Just never had very good luck with 3M products, but they are also very popular. (Check the bottle, and make sure it hasnt dried out though)
Old 09-23-2004, 03:03 PM
z06 Rules
Racer

kllrwheels, 'will do and thanks for all the advice.

Zaneo, Excellent article.

thanks
Old 09-23-2004, 03:28 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

From my observation for 16 years the Liquid Glass has done it all to up this very date. I rarely have to wash it perhaps a few times a year and polishing maybe if not once a year. After 16 years it still is pristine condition and beads off water. fyi...

Get notified of new replies

To Its time.........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Its time.........