Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

WHAT is clay bar? Why use it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 12:39 AM
paceace
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WHAT is clay bar? Why use it?

Hi All. I just bought my first Corvette (2003 ZO6 anniversary, red). I have owned several nice cars before (BMW,Lexus) but have never heard of nor have I been offered clay bar treatment.
I took my car to get washed at the regular detail place, and the first thing they offered me is the clay bar therapy. Is this related to the fiberglass construction of the car?
As I am new to Corvettes, is there a special way I need to treat and care for this car's finish? I always have my cars hand washed and waxed, but this clay bar thing took me by suprise. I am lacking in what I think are the skills necessary to use any power equipment on the finish of my car, if that is what is needed. Please be gentle on me........... :o
Old 10-25-2004, 12:54 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

It is a bar of clay that removes contaminants from the paint. Even new cars will have rail dust, fall out, etc. It's relatively safe and really is beneficial to the paint.

IMO, you should really learn to care for your own cars. It will ensure they are taken care of properly and will give you a new sense of pride.

A good place to learn lots of basics about detailing is www.bettercarcare.com

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask. Lots different product users around here. Remember though, it's a process not a product. Everyone has their favorites, but it's all personal preference. Don't believe otherwise.

Old 10-25-2004, 04:27 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by paceace
Hi All. I just bought my first Corvette (2003 ZO6 anniversary, red). I have owned several nice cars before (BMW,Lexus) but have never heard of nor have I been offered clay bar treatment.
I took my car to get washed at the regular detail place, and the first thing they offered me is the clay bar therapy. Is this related to the fiberglass construction of the car?
As I am new to Corvettes, is there a special way I need to treat and care for this car's finish? I always have my cars hand washed and waxed, but this clay bar thing took me by suprise. I am lacking in what I think are the skills necessary to use any power equipment on the finish of my car, if that is what is needed. Please be gentle on me........... :o
It is like medicine...preventative care nothing special about the fiberglass because you are working with the paint to protect it. Clay bar is good for cleaning up on older finishes or paint that hasn't been well maintained to begin with so that you can get a fresh start. I wouldn't be so keen on using the power equipment that would be unnecessary and you should leave that to the bodyshop/professional detailers. It is safe to do it by hand and if you have a new or newer Corvette I would suspect that the Paint is in fairly good condition is not in dire need of anytype of major work where you would need to use power equipment. Don't experiment on your first Corvette
Old 10-25-2004, 11:22 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

~One man’s opinion / observations~

Even new cars that have been setting on the lot for a few weeks can accumulate surface contamination. Don't assume a vehicle that looks good is contamination free Acid rain, road salt, tree sap and airborne contaminants are very detrimental to a vehicles paint film surface. Brake dust or rail dust are very small, almost microscopic particles of steel, iron or their alloys. These particles carry a negative charge while the vehicles they land on are carrying a positive charge. The vehicle surface becomes a magnet, attracting and bonding the ferrous metal particles to the vehicle surface.

Wash, detailer’s clay, pre-wax paint cleaner, polish, sealant and/or wax -a wash concentrate washes away the loose dirt particles from the paint surface, detailer’s clay removes embedded (below surface) pollution, paint cleaners contain a solvent for cleaning surface dirt, tar and road grime; polish will remove surface imperfections (scratches, surface marring) and provide the paint with necessary oils and a polymer and/or wax is used to protect the paint.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
Old 10-25-2004, 12:19 PM
docrings1
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
C6 FAQ Master

Claying instructions: http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=14
Old 10-25-2004, 12:22 PM
wildman378
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They have covered what a clay bar is looks like but I want to add I think it's best to do your own detailing on your car. Claying your car is pretty safe but if you drop the clay it picks up a lot of dirt etc..and if used on the car will scratch it.............so you think a detailing shop or some cheap place would throw away a $15 clay bar because they dropped it..... probably NOT.

thats just one example... so if you haven't let them do it already get yourself a clay bar kit, wax, good ph balanced car shampoo and start detailing!
Old 10-25-2004, 12:27 PM
ZL1Vette
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

so you think a detailing shop or some cheap place would throw away a $15 clay bar because they dropped it..... probably NOT
A clay bar is maybe $5-$10, you can buy a bar and lubricant for $10-$12.

Considering that you only use 1/2 - 1/4 of the bar, I'd say it's more like $2.00 tops that a dropped clay piece costs.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:34 PM
wildman378
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL1Vette
A clay bar is maybe $5-$10, you can buy a bar and lubricant for $10-$12.

Considering that you only use 1/2 - 1/4 of the bar, I'd say it's more like $2.00 tops that a dropped clay piece costs.
I know that that just saying I wouldn't trust anyone but me claying my car because when it comes down to it some kid that works at those detailing shops could care less about your car and might not throw the dropped clay away.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:39 PM
ZL1Vette
Team Owner

Agreed...but just use a reputable detailing shop.

Myself, I like doing my exterior myself, save the engine detailing and all that work and grime for the pros.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:29 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL1Vette
Agreed...but just use a reputable detailing shop.

Myself, I like doing my exterior myself, save the engine detailing and all that work and grime for the pros.
To me it is getting old pretty quick whereas my time can't be spent doing this like I used to because of back, neck and muscleskelton problems.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:54 PM
ZL1Vette
Team Owner

Yes, I hear you. It's fun to work on the hood and top side panels and rear, but bending down and hitting all the nooks and cranny's can be tough. But I still enjoy it and the reward at the end is worth it.

Get notified of new replies

To WHAT is clay bar? Why use it?

Quick Reply: WHAT is clay bar? Why use it?