Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Suspention Upgrade Planning

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 09:58 AM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 Suspention Upgrade Planning

I have an 03 C5 with the adjustable ride control and I am considering upgrading the suspention. What options do I have for upgrades in the sway bars,shocks,etc.. A number of the options I have looked at do not work on the cars with the ride control option. I never use the touring because when I have it sounds like rusty bed springs.

My goal is to understand what options are available and which ones will give me the best results so I can plan for the development of my car. Any information you guys can provide is appreciated. I am learning as I go with my car and all the mod possibilities that are out there are confusing. I am racing as often as I can and I have not reached the potieintial of my car yet but I am moving in that direction so I wnat to get an understanding of my next steps.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:09 AM
TmillerC5
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

What kind of racing will help determine what is needed.
Drag, Auto cross, Road racing, Baja 1000
Tim
Old 05-14-2006, 10:11 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rjung
I have an 03 C5 with the adjustable ride control and I am considering upgrading the suspention. What options do I have for upgrades in the sway bars,shocks,etc.. A number of the options I have looked at do not work on the cars with the ride control option. I never use the touring because when I have it sounds like rusty bed springs.

My goal is to understand what options are available and which ones will give me the best results so I can plan for the development of my car. Any information you guys can provide is appreciated. I am learning as I go with my car and all the mod possibilities that are out there are confusing. I am racing as often as I can and I have not reached the potieintial of my car yet but I am moving in that direction so I wnat to get an understanding of my next steps.
Remove the adjustable shocks,replace with Bilsteins or 04 Z06 shocks
Old 05-14-2006, 10:44 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Replacing the stock suspension bushings with the kit from Vette Brakes will help a lot. Since it does not deflect much, it allows less static camber and keeps the tires pointed in the intended direction. Don't go nuts on lowering or big rate springs and bars.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:51 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How fast are you now compared to the competition with a similar car?
What tires do you run now? How much do you care about street ride? How much do you want to spend? Bushings are good but you are basically taking apart the entire suspension of the car which gets expensive especially if it is the only thing you are doing. If you can do it yourself the cost is way less.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:03 PM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I am autocrossing and road racing. My driving and current set up put me in the upper half of the C5's. I think I can learn more about driving and tires will help. I am asking these questions becasue long term I want to compete with the Z06's in my group.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:35 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Shocks, bars, springs and bushings. Your springs are probably soft. You can get some used Z06 springs and try them. Watch the rules if you are racing.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:49 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How far do you want to take it? How much money do you have to spend. If you are a newbie and are just looking for something under $1000, then get some sway bars, and new shocks.

Step 2 would be springs, and bushings or going to a Z06 or T1 type kit. Out of everything listed, the bushings while sounding the simplest are the highest committment. Changing out sway bars, shocks, and springs are not that big of a deal, but the bushings are a lifetime commitment and will make more noise than you will ever like on the street.

Please beware of poly bushings on a street car. I beleive that the folks on this forum do not talk about the downsides of Poly as much as they should. No matter how much you grease them, they will eventually creak and crack and no one will EVER want to buy your car after that. It is a real commitment.

Do the step one for now and that will be enough for this season...then step 2 next season. It will keep you plenty busy.

welcome to mod hell
Old 05-15-2006, 12:26 PM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks

I like the small steps approach expecially since I am still learning my car and improving my capabilities. One other thing I still like driving my car on the street to much to do anything that makes that not possible. So thanks for the cautions as well.

How is the T1 different than the Z06 set up. What is the difference is cost and is it worth it.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:16 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks

I like the small steps approach expecially since I am still learning my car and improving my capabilities. One other thing I still like driving my car on the street to much to do anything that makes that not possible. So thanks for the cautions as well.

How is the T1 different than the Z06 set up. What is the difference is cost and is it worth it.

We'll, I beleive the Z06 kit is simply (shocks, springs, sway bars). The T1 kit is more of a commitment with control arms along with the above listed parts. The control arms are the hardest to change and the most expensive to change. The Z06 kit is totally streetable and won't make noise. The T1 kit is seen as less streetable (depends on the person) and completely not streetable by some standards. If you have a base Corvette, the Z06 kit is a nice step up without the FULL hard racelike T1 suspension. You could always compliment the Z06 kit with T1 sways and heavier springs at a later date, which is a nice compromise.

Actually, the most important thing are tires. For example, I run the stock Z06 suspension, with T1 endlinks and Bilstein shocks. I do have Poly's as well. The most important factor is seat time and (a good set or R's).

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Suspention Upgrade Planning

Quick Reply: C5 Suspention Upgrade Planning