Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 10:09 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Default C4 problems

I'm disgusted with my 96.
Brand New Moog Inner tie rod end completely destroyed after 5 track days. There is so much slop in this new moog, I should have kept the original GM. Does anybody make decent tie rods ?????

The steering rack was apparently sliding back and forth in the bushings, so the steering wheel center line was changing after every turn. This is with new rack bushings when the inner tie rods were done. I tightened down the rack bolts, and it became better, but still noticeable. Anybody try the energy suspension rack bushings?

New AutoZone Timken bearing totally trashed after 1 track day. Once again the OE GM bearing had less play after 40 track days, but Timken can't tolerate 1 track day.

Maybe I'm just too cautious, and replace parts too soon ? I don't tolerate any play in any part what so ever. I carefully inspect the car before every event, and replace anything with even minor play. But this time my plan has backfired, and every new part is even worse off than the originals...............
Old 05-15-2006, 11:32 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a tough call, but I dont believe in replacing parts unnecessarily. Small tolerances are acceptable. Race cars do have parts changed at certain intervals regardless, but street cars are a bit different.
My steering is still original and going strong, although I do have a urethane bushing in my steering rack. Reduced deflection for increased responsiveness is a priority for me.
I have always replaced my front bearings with CR brand. Same as GM for a considerably lower cost. I have heard and seen pictures of Timken bearings over the years and I am wary of failure rather than wear.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:07 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had good luck with Moog outer ends in the past, but never changed the inners yet.

I had a very similar thing with my rear bearings last year. Brand new Autozone rears. One track day and a couple thousand street miles. Bearing was trashed. the grease seal was baked off and no grease left at all -- just burnt powder crap. I actually put the gm bearing back on since I didn't have a spare.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:44 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

I had a similar problem until I started wrapping my tie rod ends with header wrap. Keeps the grease from cooking out. I also use an industrial high temp grease. No problems since I made the changes.

I also had this problem with Timken bearings purchased at Autozone. One track day and one of the new bearing was shot. AZ replaced it without any questions and I haven't had any trouble since. I do carry a used spare in my track box just in case. Fronts are pretty easy to change out, unlike the rear.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:48 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=ZR1 MK]I have always replaced my front bearings with CR brand. Same as GM for a considerably lower cost.

Where do you find CR bearing. I went to NAPA, they didn't have them and I wound up using the Timkens. It would be nice to have options. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:10 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

The good bearing supplier was new departure. It dosent matter the brand you just need to make sure that you take it out of the box and inspect it to make sure its New Departure. It could be an off the wall brand it could be a Delco bearing. I killed a Federal Mogul Bearing in about 10 runs at one auto x. The heat wrap to isolate the rod ends is good from what I hear but no personal exp. myself.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:10 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

I am referring to INNER tie rods, not outer. Heat is not a problem with inners. Inners are a b!tch to change, as the rack has to come out again......

The front bearings are nothing to change, but taking the rack in & out is a full day.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:12 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Old 05-15-2006, 02:57 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=WNDOPDLR]
Originally Posted by ZR1 MK
I have always replaced my front bearings with CR brand. Same as GM for a considerably lower cost.
Where do you find CR bearing. I went to NAPA, they didn't have them and I wound up using the Timkens. It would be nice to have options. Thanks in advance for the help.
Pep Boys for the bearings.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:26 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

IIRC, there was a post in the C4 Tech section I read where the
contributor mentioned receiving instructions to drive with moderation
for a distance (100 mi?) following installation.

Is it possible that eliminating a 'burn in' step from the production
process is how the bearing mfrs were able to reduce their prices
so much down from the ACDelco figures?

Were the bearings that failed immediately run at the track at ten
tenths after installation?

Old 05-15-2006, 10:40 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

where did you read that???? I just checked the instructions for my Timken bearing, it said nothing of importance.

But like you said, I did install the bearing, put the car on the trailer, and when directly to the track. The bearing was trash within 100 track miles.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:28 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by larryfs
where did you read that???? I just checked the instructions for my Timken bearing, it said nothing of importance.

But like you said, I did install the bearing, put the car on the trailer, and when directly to the track. The bearing was trash within 100 track miles.
I have Timken in front. Over 300 track miles and no issues to date. I'll be at Putnam Park this weekend with NASA and two weeks later with the NCM so that should add a few hundred more miles. We'll see how they hold up
Old 05-16-2006, 12:15 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by larryfs
where did you read that????
I was afraid you'd ask. Managed to find it.

Here is a link to the post by Cashmo, 2006-02-12

Originally Posted by Cashmo
"I've been told any bearing should have 100 miles of street
driving to break them in before autocrossing on them."
I thought the post dated further back than February of this year.

Old 05-16-2006, 12:26 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Of interest perhaps is the phenomenon of False Brinelling. I'd
heard about the example of the cars failing after rail transport.

In the link above, this appears at the end:
"False Brinelling has also been observed in unmounted stationary
bearings exposed to vibration. The weight of the bearing pieces being
enough load to cause failure.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:41 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Slalom4me
IIRC, there was a post in the C4 Tech section I read where the contributor mentioned receiving instructions to drive with moderation for a distance (100 mi?) following installation.
Randy at DRM told me the same thing regarding new bearings. He even mentioned the use of good condition old street only car bearings for use on the track cars.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:16 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

I just yanked my 100 mile timken bearing. I can actually feel the play with the bearing in my hands.
Are you guys saying bearings need to be broken in on the street? Like a new motor needs 500 miles......
Old 05-16-2006, 11:54 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

My rear timkens had just over 100 miles on them before racing and still crapped out.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:10 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Larry,
Sounds like you had a rough weekend at the Glen. Other than the mentioned problems how did it go?

Bill
Old 05-17-2006, 07:35 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

The A group ecaped every single rain drop. So I wasn't swapping tires at all. And with mothers day, I had to leave early on sunday....
But I did spend a better part of 1 day working on the car, but I still ran most of my sessions. But I'm sure you remember BMW only offers 3 sessions per day, so track time is limited.....

Get notified of new replies

To C4 problems

Quick Reply: C4 problems