Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Setup Recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 11:53 PM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake Setup Recomendations

I have an 03 and I am looking for the best brake set up for autocross. Pads, calipers, and rotors.

Also how do you gage the life left in the pads and rotors.

What do I need to change the break fliud and is this neccessary after the events. I have heard you should change fluids often I am just not sure how often and how do you know when its time.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:08 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Hey rjung Welcome to the answer place. Where BS is not too bad

First check the class you plan to run under in auto-x.

Most ppl use the stock C5 caliper and rotor. We tend to get the stock rotors from NAPA or Rockauto.com

Use the rotors untill the heat cracks are almost at the edge.
Pad use depends on you. Some guys go down to 10% left some to 50% pad thinkness remaining. 50% pad thickness does notmean 50% pad life remaining, more like 20% remaining.

a Motive Powerbleeder is what many guys use to change brake fluid. Just attach it to the MC and put in 12-15 psi in the Power bleeder then bleed each caliper. These pressure opens up the abs module in the caliper.

Good Luck and dont be a stranger here

Tom
Old 05-20-2006, 08:49 AM
TrueBlueCoupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Hey rjung Welcome to the answer place. Where BS is not too bad

First check the class you plan to run under in auto-x.

Most ppl use the stock C5 caliper and rotor. We tend to get the stock rotors from NAPA or Rockauto.com

Use the rotors untill the heat cracks are almost at the edge.
Pad use depends on you. Some guys go down to 10% left some to 50% pad thinkness remaining. 50% pad thickness does notmean 50% pad life remaining, more like 20% remaining.

a Motive Powerbleeder is what many guys use to change brake fluid. Just attach it to the MC and put in 12-15 psi in the Power bleeder then bleed each caliper. These pressure opens up the abs module in the caliper.

Good Luck and dont be a stranger here

Tom

I am doing the same as Tom, Napa Rotors, stock calipers, change brake fluid to Super Blue. I just do a heavy bleed once a year to cycle out most of the old fluid. As for pads I run Carbotech XP9 or xp10 on the track, but they probably would not be good for autocross. Best thing for autocross is probably stock Z06 pads or maybe some Panthers.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:24 AM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the information. I have only been racing this year and what an experience. It is almost consuming. I have to run group 2 because I upgraded the air intake and exhaust before I raced the first time. You can imagine my shock to find out how this littel change made such a big difference in my grouping. My times put me in the lower half somewhere but this is still fantastic. I am hoping in the next couple of years to become more competative once I learn how to drive. For now I am trying to be safe and protect my car.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:25 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

you're brakes don't have enough time to heat up in AutoX to the point where you have to worry about bleeding your brakes every event. Once or twice a year to keep fresh fluid in the system and a good firm pedal. Track days, bleed them every time.

Pads - I like the Wilwood E-Compound. You don't need/want a full track pad, again not enough time to get heat in them. Just a nice aggressive streat pad(Panther+, Hawk HP+, ect...). Keep you eye on them so you can judge how much you use up each event and when you can't make it through the next event with a little room for error, replace.

Calipers - Stay stock. I've got the SL-6 calipers from LG and they're great, but I got them from track days, not AutoX. They don't help much if at all there and probably will bump you up in class.

Rotors - NAPA all the way. $25 a pop, run them until they crack to the edges (or get close) and throw 'em away
Old 05-21-2006, 01:38 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just switched out my pads this morning. Hawk HP plus.

The PFC Z-rated ones I took out after two years of autox still looked brand new. No rotor wear either.

I liked the PFC Z's but wanted to try something different this year after losing my first event of the year by 0.09 seconds. New A6s go on this week too.

Good luck.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:06 PM
F1Fan
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by TedDBere
I just switched out my pads this morning. Hawk HP plus.

The PFC Z-rated ones I took out after two years of autox still looked brand new. No rotor wear either.

I liked the PFC Z's but wanted to try something different this year after losing my first event of the year by 0.09 seconds. New A6s go on this week too.

Good luck.
Same here, replaced the PFC pads and stock rotors w/ HP+ pads and powerslot rotors and I love 'em.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Setup Recomendations

Quick Reply: Brake Setup Recomendations