Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My trailer came off....

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 06:46 PM
Jess03Z06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My trailer came off....

Shortly after passing the "Rough Pavement Ahead" sign on I-70W going to Putnam Park this weekend i hit a crater that knocked my brand new Harbor Freight trailer off the ball at about 55 mph.

No damage to vette or trailer, and i will spare you the account of my heroic driving.

Anyway, the hitch still had the cotter pin inserted and the nut that holds tension on the ball seemed tight. I tightened it to as hard as it can be tightened without me fearing i was about to break it and finished my journey.

Anyone have a suggestion on a high quality replacement hitch that will fit those little HF's? My 5 hour drive back home seemed like 10 due to the wincing everytime i hit any small bump. No confidence left in that hitch even if my tightening cured the problem.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:07 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

The ball came out of the hitch or the hitch came out of the receiver or the trailer came off the ball?
Old 05-22-2006, 08:40 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I had the same loose hitch problem with my Harbor Freight trailer. The ball clamp adjustment is way too loose as it comes from the factory. I had to crank it down 10-12 turns on the nut to get it suitably tight. Mine never came off, you got very lucky.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:14 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would get another coupler and replace the cheap one that came with the trailer. The bolt hole pattern on the tongue is standard so you won't need to redrill any holes. I got one at AutoZone. The nut that is used for the clamp adjustment is a nylon lock nut and that should hold the adjustment.

Place the ball inside the coupler and adjust the nut so that the fit is snug but the ball still turns easily. You should also grease the ball and coupler each time you use the trailer. You can get grease at any boat shop or if necessary, use wheel bearing grease.

I went with a 2" coupler as that's what ball size I have on my truck so I can use the trailer behind that if needed.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:55 PM
jlucas
Racer

Note to self: Check newly purchased TSC trailer for hitch fitting before using for the first time....
Old 05-22-2006, 10:05 PM
talon95
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, and check it occasionally. I've had to re-tighten mine once or twice in the last 4 years of use.

Dave G.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:06 PM
tigerdrvr
Pro

Mine was pretty loose, when new, and I've cranked it back down another time in the year and a half I've been using it.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:12 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Does Harbor Freight=China? That may be the problem
Old 05-22-2006, 11:47 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Probably a silly question, but any chance that you have a 1-7/8"
ball mating with a 2" coupler"

While I'm glad the tongue didn't engrave the back of the car, I'm
also glad the safety chains were in place and held. I see some
pretty light duty and tired looking chains on some utility and boat
trailers that make me very nervous when I see similar rigs on the
road.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:41 AM
Jess03Z06
Advanced

Thanks for the advice and information guys. I think i will buy a new one just in case somehting isn't quite right with that one. Just to answer the questions... Yes its a 1 7/8 ball and reciever and the ball popped out of the receiver, the receiver remained securely attached to the trailer tongue. Those chains worked great, i was really careful on the measurement and attachment, just glad they did their job. Thanks again to everyone that chimed in, checking that fit will be something i do henceforth regardless of where i get a trailer !!!
Old 05-23-2006, 08:00 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Originally Posted by jabbott
Old 05-23-2006, 07:06 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by jabbott
I looked at the original coupler that I got on my HF trailer and it doesn't have a ""Made in...." stamp on it.

One thing I noticed is that the nut is held in place by a stamped steel C-shaped bracket. The only way to adjust the clamp depth is to turn the hitch latching arm a one full turn at a time.

The coupler I bought uses a nylock nut so making fine adjustments is much simpler. The brand name is Fulton and it's stamped with the company name, address and phone number in Racine, WI
Old 05-23-2006, 07:37 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Same thing happened to a friend and I while driving through Buffalo a couple of years ago on the way to Watkins Glen. Tightening the nut underneath solves the problem.

-Matt
Old 05-23-2006, 11:01 PM
Gary04Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

No trailer tips, but I was up at Putnam also, great weekend!
Old 05-23-2006, 11:27 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Some things from HF are ok, you know like latex gloves, little acid brushes, cutoff wheels and grinding discs. Trailers, I think you need to stick to a trailer dealer who sells good trailers. I can't believe that they could get any type of DOT approval on them. You know a trailer coming off can kill a innocent person in a car. A couple of years ago a U-Haul car trailer came off because the guy was tired and not paying attention when he lowered it on the ball. Well that trailer came of and rammed through the door of a girl on her way to school and killed her. I am sorry and am not trying to call anyone cheap, but some things you do not pinch pennies on.

Get notified of new replies

To My trailer came off....

Quick Reply: My trailer came off....