Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire pressures and size question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 02:43 PM
RedHotBolt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire pressures and size question

I run 305/30/18's all the way around on the track. I can get a real good deal on some 285/30/18's. Is there enough difference in size to make these 285's not a good deal?

Also I have started cording my tires on the outsides faster than I used to....or at least it seems like it, since I went to starting at 29 psi. I used to start at about 34 psi. Could this make that much of a difference?

Jerry
Old 05-24-2006, 10:23 AM
RedHotBolt
Pro

No ideas at all?

J
Old 05-24-2006, 10:37 AM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHotBolt
I run 305/30/18's all the way around on the track. I can get a real good deal on some 285/30/18's. Is there enough difference in size to make these 285's not a good deal?
If you LIKE to drive a car with oversteer, this is just the ticket you are looking for.

Also I have started cording my tires on the outsides faster than I used to....or at least it seems like it, since I went to starting at 29 psi. I used to start at about 34 psi. Could this make that much of a difference?
What is the final pressure just after you leave the track. If it is less than 39 PSI then you may be underinflating the tires.

On the other hand, if it is in the 39-40 PSI range, you have probably found more tire grip, and are driving faster, causing more suspension movment in cornering, and thus you have arrived at the point where move (negative) camber is now required.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:54 AM
RedHotBolt
Pro

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
If you LIKE to drive a car with oversteer, this is just the ticket you are looking for.

I love oversteer but when I went from 305/30/18's on the rear to 335/30/18's I did not notice very much difference at all.

What is the final pressure just after you leave the track. If it is less than 39 PSI then you may be underinflating the tires.

On the other hand, if it is in the 39-40 PSI range, you have probably found more tire grip, and are driving faster, causing more suspension movment in cornering, and thus you have arrived at the point where move (negative) camber is now required.
I usuall get to 38-39 PSi after a session. I bought a tire temp gauge but I have not used it yet. All I am wanting to know is not what pressure is the fastest (I'm not racing) but what will make the tires last the longest? Bobby Archer told me never start above 29 lbs but he is a racer and works for racers.

J
Old 05-24-2006, 04:40 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

A lot of that has to do with camber and alignment setting too. I'm sure Archer has much more neg camber in his car than you do...so he could theoretically start at a lower pressure and not wear out the outside of his tires.

If you can get a really good deal on the tires, then get them...and keep getting lots of cheap seat time. If you're not racing, then the idea is to learn with the equipment you have.

Better yet, run a set of your tires and then run a set of the 285s and see which you like better...and has better lap times. Then try running the 285s just up front and compare them all. As the old saying goes: "One good test session is worth 1000 opinions!"
Old 05-24-2006, 04:56 PM
RedHotBolt
Pro

Originally Posted by wtknght1
A lot of that has to do with camber and alignment setting too. I'm sure Archer has much more neg camber in his car than you do...so he could theoretically start at a lower pressure and not wear out the outside of his tires.

If you can get a really good deal on the tires, then get them...and keep getting lots of cheap seat time. If you're not racing, then the idea is to learn with the equipment you have.

Better yet, run a set of your tires and then run a set of the 285s and see which you like better...and has better lap times. Then try running the 285s just up front and compare them all. As the old saying goes: "One good test session is worth 1000 opinions!"

Good ideas!

J

Get notified of new replies

To tire pressures and size question

Quick Reply: tire pressures and size question