Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reno-Fernley new track, just some exposure ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 01:03 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Reno-Fernley new track, just some exposure ...

Got to do a two day class on the B and H configurations at R-F yesterday and today. Great fun and totally different from day to day. The B config is very technical and for me an unusual result, I had to turn off the AH. Too many transitions going through esses and when you got fast enough where catching up with the steering was just a tad slow the system would let you know. So, off with the system and just take it easy so it was no problem.

The right turn up the hill after the old turn 8 is really steep, a guy with a Radical had to raise his front splitter so it didn't drag. Having the HP to pull the hill and the 4 esses up to the blind exit at the top was great and on B required some throttle control so you didn't exit too wide at the top and could stay left to get onto the back section, hard right. The next three esses also took throttle control and then the short straight is blind at the end so you have to get a good brake point to not over cook the entry to the hairpin. Then a decreasing radius exit onto another short curve and into an off camber hard right onto the old track.

The H config allows more throttle up the hill at the beginning but then throws back to back hair pins at you before going through a chicane (?) where other parts of the track connect. More high speed than on Monday and just as blind. But the real fun comes at the end of the curving straight after the first chicane where two more sections connect and you do another chicane and can get in too deep real easy. The formula cars testing on Tuesday had all kinds of trouble there and got the sweeper out several times.

If you want to try a technical track R-F is now more than just high speed fun.
Randy
Old 05-24-2006, 03:17 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I need to get to that track come this fall.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:23 PM
S20004sale
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, that course is so much fun. The upper technical section is a blast, especially the right hander going uphill you mention. How many vettes are expected at the upcoming event? The long straight is what takes my breath away and makes my hands sweat- I chicken out at about 140-145.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:07 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

NCRC is running this weekend but I don't know of any other Vettes that are running. It seems that a few always show up but I'll have to wait and see. I also plan to run the Friday test and tune in the afternoon to get a little extra track time out of the 500 mile round trip. That blind exit going up that hill is interesting both directions, you have to back off early to stay left in order to make the right hander and in the other direction you can almost launch off the top and then have to find the edge of the track on the right to brake for the left hand exit. So much of that hill is blind it keep you looking far ahead.

Get notified of new replies

To Reno-Fernley new track, just some exposure ...

Quick Reply: Reno-Fernley new track, just some exposure ...