Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed GT vs. Rolex GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 02:29 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Speed GT vs. Rolex GT

I've seen that Leighton Reese has run a C6 in both SWC and Rolex races this year. Does anybody know if he runs the same car in both series? Are the rules/regs similar enough to allow one car to run in both series?
Old 05-25-2006, 02:47 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Leighton said they run two differnt cars.

The SWGT has much more HP 520-540 or somewhere close and the Grand Am GT car is not much more then a stock engine, but has much mroe grip with the Hoosiers vs the Toyos on SWGT.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:02 PM
NJCRUISER
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stopped by to see Leighton and his car at the PIR race. The vettes really need a weight reduction as per his crew. They need another 200 lbs taken away to be competitive.
I got a good look at the GTO.R's. They have about as much in common with a street GTO as a Street CTS-V has in common with the WCGT cts-v's. Looked to me as though Pratt & Miller used the CTS-V WCGT car as a blueprint for the GTO.R Same pushed back engine Carbon fiber everywhere etc.

Here's a pic of Leighton's GT car from PIR.

Last edited by NJCRUISER; 05-25-2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:12 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Two cars!!! Why build one when you can build two.

Randy
Old 05-25-2006, 08:26 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NJCRUISER
.....I got a good look at the GTO.R's. They have about as much in common with a street GTO as a Street CTS-V has in common with the WCGT cts-v's. Looked to me as though Pratt & Miller used the CTS-V WCGT car as a blueprint for the GTO.R Same pushed back engine Carbon fiber everywhere etc.

Here's a pic of Leighton's GT car from PIR.
I have seen them both in person - really, really nice race cars not much in common with the street cars
Old 05-28-2006, 10:13 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Two different car, Poncho II and Carlos. Carlos it the Rolex car and it is slower compared to the SWC car. They are hit hard by rules in the Rolex series. Carlos it the newer of the two though and, it has brought new things to Poncho like the air jacks on the car. Either way they are both excellent cars and hopefully the bad luck is behind us now after Mid Ohio.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:27 PM
VinceAD
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I watch the ALMS, Speed GT and Rolex races whenever I can remember they're on TV. Why is it that the Corvettes are competitive in ALMS and Speed GT but not in Rolex?
Old 05-28-2006, 02:48 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Differnt races differnt rules.

The C6.r is built by Pratt and Miller for corvetteracing

http://www.prattmiller.com

SWC corvettes are built by the differnt teams, some are competitive some are not as competitive.

GrandAm rules are not corvette freindly. Cars are over weight and under powered compared to the Porsches and again the Pratt and Miller built GTO.rs
Old 05-28-2006, 09:27 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

It takes either a big team and/or a big factory backing to get any car competitive in ANY series. There were GTO's in Grand Am GT that were really slow, THEN the PRG factory team came in and rewrote the rules. You'll always see fast Porsches in all series, as the factory builds the cars, and helps homologate them into the series. Vettes never have that support in privateer trim, and while we have been successful over the years, it always takes more time and effort to get to the front. I won a WC race, Lou has won a couple (in Vettes), and Phil MaClure did as well, but it was due to years of dialing the cars in, NOT just showing up with the perfect car as can happen with the really big guns.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:13 PM
VinceAD
Pro

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
It takes either a big team and/or a big factory backing to get any car competitive in ANY series. There were GTO's in Grand Am GT that were really slow, THEN the PRG factory team came in and rewrote the rules. You'll always see fast Porsches in all series, as the factory builds the cars, and helps homologate them into the series. Vettes never have that support in privateer trim, and while we have been successful over the years, it always takes more time and effort to get to the front. I won a WC race, Lou has won a couple (in Vettes), and Phil MaClure did as well, but it was due to years of dialing the cars in, NOT just showing up with the perfect car as can happen with the really big guns.
I went over to your website, very impressive. I like the Van Halen stripped cars. I was a big fan of VH growing up (Played guitar in a few bands playing VH cover tunes in the 80's and 90's). I will probably start racing IT next year, but not my Vette (starting small), having a first gen RX7 built to specs by a friend that lives about 3 minutes from Roebling Road.
Good luck with your racing program, If you are at Road Atlanta this fall (ALMS and Speed weekend) I'll stop by and say hello.

Vince
South Georgia
Old 05-30-2006, 01:51 AM
micro
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VinceAD
I watch the ALMS, Speed GT and Rolex races whenever I can remember they're on TV. Why is it that the Corvettes are competitive in ALMS and Speed GT but not in Rolex?
The # 57 Corvette from Stevenson Motorsports finished 4th at Lime Rock Park today.

http://grandamerican.com/Events/Sess...?SessionID=690

http://www.stevensonmotorsports.com/
Old 05-30-2006, 08:59 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by micro
The # 57 Corvette from Stevenson Motorsports finished 4th at Lime Rock Park today.
I watched that race and had the same question as Joe, interesting to see this thread.

Are the SWC & Rolex cars actual vettes built up to race or are they purpose built race cars with corvette bodies hung on them? How much Chevy is in these cars?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:17 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by micro
http://grandamerican.com/Events/Sess...?SessionID=690
http://www.stevensonmotorsports.com/
I was talking with the crew this weekend. According to them, all but the GTOs and Corvettes got a 200 lb class reduction starting this race weekend. They also use a solid rear axle (bet most didnt know that). Amazing they did this good with these issues. They do have a protest filed.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:24 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by astock165
I watched that race and had the same question as Joe, interesting to see this thread.

Are the SWC & Rolex cars actual vettes built up to race or are they purpose built race cars with corvette bodies hung on them?
Purpose built race cars. You too can but the body parts from http://www.corvetteracebodies.com

How much Chevy is in these cars?
about as much chevy as the Pratt & Miller C6.r Factory Corvette Racing team, NOT much only the steel frame rails.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:36 AM
VinceAD
Pro

Originally Posted by ZR1 MK
I was talking with the crew this weekend. According to them, all but the GTOs and Corvettes got a 200 lb class reduction starting this race weekend. They also use a solid rear axle (bet most didnt know that). Amazing they did this good with these issues. They do have a protest filed.
I saw that while watching the race (weight reduction). I don't know anything about the Rolex rules, but if the Corvettes have not been placing at the top why would they not get a weight reduction? (Unless power to weight ratio is the factor).

Hopefully something will come out of the protest.

Vince
Old 05-30-2006, 10:18 AM
Drew M
Team Owner

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
There were GTO's in Grand Am GT that were really slow, THEN the PRG factory team came in and rewrote the rules.
The GTOs didnt just walk, they ran away with the race yesterday. i didnt even bother to stay for the second half.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:56 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by astock165
Are the SWC & Rolex cars actual vettes built up to race or are they purpose built race cars with corvette bodies hung on them? How much Chevy is in these cars?
Speed World Challenge - factory frame
Rolex Grand American Cup GS - factory frame
Rolex Grand American GT - purpose built tube frame

Get notified of new replies

To Speed GT vs. Rolex GT

Old 05-30-2006, 06:06 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NJCRUISER
I got a good look at the GTO.R's. They have about as much in common with a street GTO as a Street CTS-V has in common with the WCGT cts-v's. Looked to me as though Pratt & Miller used the CTS-V WCGT car as a blueprint for the GTO.R Same pushed back engine Carbon fiber everywhere etc.
It would be nice if the production car looked anything like one of these race cars. I wonder how GM can get away with it. If you look at other makes, the cars are pretty close to production cars.

The CTS-V looks to have the fenders of the XLR. That was one of my complaints with the production CTS. I thought that the fenders were too tall for the dimensions of the car. The taller fenders look fine on the SRX (sports SUV), but they make the stock CTS look like a moon buggy to me.

It would be so cool if we could buy a CTS-V or GTO.R like the racers.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:43 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by xsiveone
It would be so cool if we could buy a CTS-V or GTO.R like the racers.
You can buy a GTO.R for $375K

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...pontiac_gto_r/
Old 05-31-2006, 08:32 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

$275k and it looks just as similar to a factory street car as do the Porsche and others.

Quick Reply: Speed GT vs. Rolex GT