Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you run the same size wheels and tires on a C5 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 08:08 PM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can you run the same size wheels and tires on a C5 Convertible

I am interested in running 17X10.5 or 11 inch rims and the same size sticky race tires on all four wheels. I am wondering if this is possible and how the car will handle. I have read threads that suggest this is an issue with some of the on board systems possibely the abs breaking or traction control I do not remember exactly what it was or if it is even factual. If anyone has any information I would appreciate the advice.

My reasoning for this is the tires are cheaper and mostly so I can rotate them around to extend the life of the set.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:24 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

315's at all 4 are standand practice
Old 05-29-2006, 09:57 PM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this the actual size of the tires "315/35WR17".

Also is there any advantage or difference running "315/35WR18 " on the rears.

I am looking at the Kumho 700 and 710's any recomendations or other options?
Old 05-29-2006, 10:29 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Never had a problem with ABS, but you might have to turn TC off (run in either Comp mode or full manual).

Running 275s "square" in my C5 made the car tend towards oversteer, but not too bad. Running 275/315 is back into understeer. My next set is going to be 275/305; hopefully that'll be pretty well balanced.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 05-30-2006, 05:29 AM
97coupechuck
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rjung
I am interested in running 17X10.5 or 11 inch rims and the same size sticky race tires on all four wheels. I am wondering if this is possible and how the car will handle. I have read threads that suggest this is an issue with some of the on board systems possibely the abs breaking or traction control I do not remember exactly what it was or if it is even factual. If anyone has any information I would appreciate the advice.

My reasoning for this is the tires are cheaper and mostly so I can rotate them around to extend the life of the set.

I run 335's 17" on rear and 275"s 17" on front, seems well balanced to me. I've bought a complete set of 4 used "R" tires from Phoenix 315's X 17' for track days only, however the more guys i talk to the more I find out that bigger in front will actually slow you down (over 275).
Also, yea you have a good chance of running TC problems going to different dia wheels. This can be a major problem, as it slows your car down by decreasing accelerator and actually appling the brakes! You shoulda seen the look on my face when I first put my old wheels/tires off of my street C4 on my C5 as i was pulling onto a freeway! I'm accelerating while car is SLOWING down! Only happened when you went over approx 45mph. If it happens, just hit TC button. I ran it that way for years. I have gone to the bigger 335's now and I don't have that problem as the 335 are bigger dia.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:21 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

One of the guys running ASP at last weekend's Prosolo was running (IIRC) ~275/35/18 up front and 305/35/17 in the back. From what I could tell, the front wheels were AT LEAST 10.5" wide, so the sidewall were stretched pretty tight. It's looked quite strange, but he was fast as hell.
Car was from Florida, team "Itchy B**ls", IIRC.

Get notified of new replies

To Can you run the same size wheels and tires on a C5 Convertible

Quick Reply: Can you run the same size wheels and tires on a C5 Convertible