Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you put a Roll Bar in an 03 Convertible?

Old 05-29-2006, 08:09 PM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can you put a Roll Bar in an 03 Convertible?

I am wanting to run some high speed NCCC autocross events and you have to have a role bar if the car is a convertible. If anyone has one or knows of anyone please forward the information. I need the manufacture, your thoughts on the product, and if you have any pictures that would be great. It needs to conform to the NCCC rules.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:19 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Personally in a 'vert I'd look for a chassis shop to make you one.

Every setup for a 'vert is most likely a compromise that not everyone wants to make.

In a coupe/HT, a bar/cage is alot less intrusive from the standpoint that when you put in a bar or a 6 point its still a coupe.

In a convertible...you put in a bar and it may not be a convertible in your eyes anymore.

My biggest reason for not getting a vert was how it would have looked with a bar.

If you find a chassis shop to make you something custom you can make sure it doesn't take away from being a convertible in your mind.

Thats my opinion, YMMV.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:25 PM
tahoeC6
Instructor

Default Roll Bar

I've still got the bolt-in 4 point bar that I had in my 98 vert. It was made by Wolfe Racecraft and was an easy install. The nice thing about the Wolfe is that the top still works just fine. You have to cut the waterfall to install it. I have the modified/cut waterfall that I pulled out of my vert along with the bar. I would let the whole set-up go for $225 plus shipping if you're interested. Check the bar out at Wolfe Racecraft's website, they have pictures. The SCCA approved mine for track trials, and I'm pretty sure that it will pass NHRA.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:14 PM
Z06 Silver Bullet
Racer

I know someone who did it in the Southeast. They run THSCC so you can track them down.
Custom job though by more performance who is now closed so FYI
Old 06-01-2006, 10:39 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I think ECS did a custom 6 pt. for Mean Green's vert.

I checked ....it says so in his sig. Doesn't post much anymore. Here's a link to his profile> http://forums.corvetteforum.com/member.php?u=18988

Last edited by Bink; 06-01-2006 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:54 AM
xtream1
Drifting

Location: Stealth So Cal GOCC ...comming to invade your neighborhood soon

Are you looking for something like this?? It was a custom one-off, has a petty bar that gets bolted in for track use, and is removable for top operation as well as fits back in when top is up.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:57 PM
craig-o
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I, too, have enjoyed my convertible (for 5 years), and have recently discovered the fun one can have at a track. I'm ready to instal either a roll bar, or a harness bar to help keep me in my seat as I throw myself around those curves. It would seem that long-term, I'd be better off with a roll bar, but I'm not sure how this modification might affect resale value - harness bars are a bolt-on option with no permanent modifications, but are redundant with a roll bar.

I have found 2 available on the internet - Wolf Racecraft and Neverlift, both of which require cutting a painted body panel. Is there anyone out there who has installed one of these in their convertible? Anyone willing to share any experiences, good or bad?

Craig
Old 06-13-2006, 10:55 PM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I installed a 6-point wolf racecraft bar in my 2000 convertible earlier this year. It has removable door bars. It was a fairly easy installation. I drove the car for two months before I could bring myself to cut the waterfall! Finally did it and I’m happy with the results.

You will experience the issues others on this site have noted with this bar. To allow the top to work the bar is positioned closer to your head than many would like and your stock seats will rub against the bar (both depending on how far back you need to move your seat).

For me these are acceptable. The bar is higher than my helmet, doesn’t contact my helmet, and still allows the top to work even when wrapped with roll bar pads. The seat rub isn’t that significant but I have to admit I’ve been looking at racing seats which is probably a smart safety move as well.

I also like the way the bar looks in the car and have received several complements both on and off the track about the look.

You’re welcome to contact me if you have any other questions.

John
Old 06-13-2006, 11:09 PM
96LT1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First talk to the people who do the tech for your local NCCC events. I've seen different interpretations of the "broom stick" rule.

Some lay the broomstick from the top of the rollbar to the top of the windshield. Others say from the top of the rollbar to the front of the car (if the A-pillars collapse).

The bar in the pics xtream1 posted wouldn't be high enough to meet the 2nd interpretation. In fact, a rollbar that meets the 2nd one is too high to get the top back up.

I would look at a custom bar that is removable regardless.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:35 PM
xtream1
Drifting

Location: Stealth So Cal GOCC ...comming to invade your neighborhood soon

Originally Posted by 96LT1
First talk to the people who do the tech for your local NCCC events. I've seen different interpretations of the "broom stick" rule.

Some lay the broomstick from the top of the rollbar to the top of the windshield. Others say from the top of the rollbar to the front of the car (if the A-pillars collapse).

The bar in the pics xtream1 posted wouldn't be high enough to meet the 2nd interpretation. In fact, a rollbar that meets the 2nd one is too high to get the top back up.
It also would be more stringent than any required for a hardtop. If the 'A' pillars collapse in a hardtop you're in the same situation-the 'A'pillars are the same (and no the hardtop isn't a structural componant as I've seen a couple of collapsed halo sections due to rollovers).

The one I have is built to be as high as structurally possible with the design of a vette (if I don't remove it you can't even unlatch the top because it's so close to the frame) while also not rubbing the seat, limiting seat travel, or being even remotely close to your head should one have an accident. I would worry about almost all the others that I've seen out there (especially with regard to head contact). FYI, hitting a steel / rigidly mounted bar with any kind of force behind you even with a helmet on is something you don't want to experience.

Get notified of new replies

To Can you put a Roll Bar in an 03 Convertible?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can you put a Roll Bar in an 03 Convertible?