Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thumbs Up ECS and Phoenix

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 08:34 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default Thumbs Up ECS and Phoenix

Last week I had both Shops working on my car. ECS continues to do all my Engine work while Phoenix now handles all my alignment work.

As I tear my car apart escaping form 1/4 mile racing and entering into Road Racing I need both shops expertise to make sure things are correct.

First ECS changed my gears from 4.10s to 3.73s. The 3.73s gave me a ton more space on the track to hold a gear or to run them out.

ECS then installed oil cooler, T1 tranny and DeWitt radiator. My oil temp for regular driving was always around 225 and on the track I could get close to 290. Yesterday at Pocono my oil temp never went above 240 and my coolant temp was right around 200. I do not have an tranny temp gauge, but I heard the pump kick on a few times so I must have hit the thermostat setting. We will be changing the thermostat configuration over to an On/Off Switch though so I can start the tranny cooler right when my track session starts.

I was then off to Phoenix to install the T1 bars and to change the alignment some more. When there Phoenix reviewed the whole car and checked the wheel bearings, brakes, and other stuff that they do for all of their T1 cars.

I have to say the car handled flawlessly on the track with the new alignment and T1 bars. Being behind some cars you could see their cars leaning so much in the turns and knowing mine was basically flat was a great feeling.

I guess I am lucky to have 2 great shops in the neighborhood (well if you call 2 hours to Phoenix close ).

looking forward to continually do more business with both shops.

thanks
Old 05-30-2006, 08:39 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

what oil cooler did you use?

T1 bars make the feel like it's on rails
Old 05-30-2006, 08:40 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
As I tear my car apart escaping form 1/4 mile racing and entering into Road Racing I need both shops expertise to make sure things are correct.

I've never run the 1/4, and to be honest may never. I just don't see how I could ever like it more.

Old 05-30-2006, 08:53 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by connecticut
what oil cooler did you use?

T1 bars make the feel like it's on rails

CT - the oil cooler is built into the Dewitt Radiator so ECS had to fabricated the lines (not sure what they did). I hear some people run a seperate oil cooler from the radiator, but this seems like a good alternative giving you better coolant temp and oil temps.

The Dewitt radiator looked like it was made very well. the T1 Tranny Cooler sits in front of the Radiator. The pump is in the passenger side back 1/4 panel.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:55 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by yellow01

I've never run the 1/4, and to be honest may never. I just don't see how I could ever like it more.

well it is a rush to bang the gears and go fast, but it is over in 11 seconds. then you wait not knowing when you are going to get your next 11 sec run.

With HPDEs you know you are getting a 20-25 min session and you know the time. You can do whatever you want during off track time.

Of course it is also hard to compare 20-25 mins of fun versus 11 seconds.....

Old 05-30-2006, 09:04 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

(well if you call 2 hours to Phoenix close ).
Yes....I would call that close.

Glad to hear your temps are under control... I ran NHIS today..it was 83* and sunny...my oil temp never got over 250*

However, I did get the "High Trans. Temp" display on the DIC at the end of my last 2 sessions.

Guess what I'll be buying next.....

BTW.....Kumhos ran well! A lil greasy toward the end of the sessions. I pushed them hard...and I'm pretty impressed overall.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:31 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I heard it is not easy to install the tranny kit.

For tires I am leaning towards the V710s, but I am looking at the goodyears too.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:05 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Of course it is also hard to compare 20-25 mins of fun versus 11 seconds.....

Depends who you are with.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:32 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

I think ECS should try and get into this market a little more. They do great engine work and drivetrain work, but it would be nice to have 1 shop that could do it all. Set up is not that hard, they just need scales, and an allignment rack and they could easily do it all.

Do you hear me Doug and Chris?
Old 05-31-2006, 01:36 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I think ECS should try and get into this market a little more. They do great engine work and drivetrain work, but it would be nice to have 1 shop that could do it all. Set up is not that hard, they just need scales, and an allignment rack and they could easily do it all.

Do you hear me Doug and Chris?
Nice to hear everything is working out for you, Bob.

I suspect that once ECS finally completes their new faciltiy and has more space that getting additional equipment to allow for "suspension tuning" might well happen. I know you wouldn't need to twist Chris' arm on this, and I think that Doug is beginning to see some of that "road racing" light.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:06 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Geneus
Nice to hear everything is working out for you, Bob.

I suspect that once ECS finally completes their new faciltiy and has more space that getting additional equipment to allow for "suspension tuning" might well happen. I know you wouldn't need to twist Chris' arm on this, and I think that Doug is beginning to see some of that "road racing" light.
Thanks Don - this is a whole lot better than 1/4 mile racing....

Doug bought a new SA-2000 helmet so he now has a 5 year commitment

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 05-31-2006 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:00 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

I heard it is not easy to install the tranny kit.

For tires I am leaning towards the V710s, but I am looking at the goodyears too.
Goodyears are faster than the Kumhos. I have tried them side by side. Kumhos last longer.

BUT... don't make a firm decision without looking at the new Hoosier R6. I have used them with the A6 compound and they can only be described as F...n AWESOME.

Frank Gonzalez

Get notified of new replies

To Thumbs Up ECS and Phoenix

Quick Reply: Thumbs Up ECS and Phoenix