Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can OPR on your tires tell you anything?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 02:01 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Can OPR on your tires tell you anything?

Can OPR on your tires tell you anything?

I was looking at the "other people's rubber" on my Hoosiers stacked in the garage and noticed that on one tire it was on the outside third of the tread and on another tire it was on the middle. Two tires had very little OPR on them.

As I looked at them I figured they were trying to tell me something but I'm not sure what. Is the air pressure too high or too low where the rubber accumulates?

Does the OPR tell us anything about our alignment and pressures? Curious minds want to know....
Old 05-30-2006, 06:18 PM
sd7ss
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Opr

I've wondered the same thing. Probably has a lot to do with the course. And, whether you follow the "line" or not. Could mean you're getting off line too much, where loose rubber winds up....
Old 05-30-2006, 09:01 PM
ace996
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my bike experience...
"If you're picking-up rubber, you're not going fast enough to slap it down."

Sounds like you are leaving rubber on some turns, picking up on the other side. Not sure about tire pressures or such...
-ace
Old 05-31-2006, 06:47 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

More than likely it is the fronts that are picking up OPR...My rears are clean, but the fronts pick it up when it happens.

Secondly, I've never picked it up on the outside of the tire... Always on the inside, to maybe the one third point... That is from not having enough negative camber, and only using two thirds of the tire at max conditions. Ace is right, if you are driving hard enough you will scrub that off of the outside.....

Get notified of new replies

To Can OPR on your tires tell you anything?

Quick Reply: Can OPR on your tires tell you anything?