Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Johnny O'Connell planning Corvette Camp in TX

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 01:44 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Johnny O'Connell planning Corvette Camp in TX

Woohoo, Looks like Johnny O is planning to hold is Corvette Camp driving school in Texas in October or November. I am looking forward to it. This is sure to be as entertaining and exciting as it is educational. Who else will be signing up?
http://www.johnnyoconnell.com/
http://www.corvettecamp.com/
Old 06-01-2006, 08:34 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on cost. Not that it isn't worth it, I'm sure I'd learn, but if I remember right it was pretty costly for two lead follows+two open sessions.

Anyone recall the cost of the last one?
Old 06-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Red Gump
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when I first heard about it it was $400 I think, then it bumped up to $500.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:41 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right

Looks like it was $400. Which to me seems pretty cheap for instruction from an accomplished professional.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:19 PM
corvette-pilot
Le Mans Master

Says on the site it is $400 DAY and only 2 hours of track time.
Better off at Spring Mountain for 3 days and 300 miles of driving !
Old 06-01-2006, 03:04 PM
TRAIL BOSS
Drifting

Interesting article and pictures on www.corvettecamp.com regarding the 2005 event.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:29 PM
JiminFL
Racer

Johnny's really cool to hang out and chat with, and I'm sure his LOADS of experience both teaching and in the seat would be worth the $$, but TX is a little far for me to travel. I talked to him about last year's when he was down for some Caddy testing at Sebring and if it was in range I'd go.

Yes, you can definitely find cheaper track/seat time, but add in the anecdotes and advice from a very seasoned instructor like Johnny and for me it seems a decent value. Just my $.02

Jim
Old 06-01-2006, 03:34 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Originally Posted by corvette-pilot
Says on the site it is $400 DAY and only 2 hours of track time.
Better off at Spring Mountain for 3 days and 300 miles of driving !
Have any of the instructors there ever won LeMans? How about GTS championships? Not knocking Spring Mountain but, Come on this is Johnny O'Connell! BTW the Spring mountain school cost about $2700+
Old 06-01-2006, 04:05 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

I didn't really mean to start a $$$/value discussion. I know I would learn from him either way - that absolutely goes without saying.

The issue for me is money is tight, and $400 buys 3 days x 4 sessions seat time for me, which I lack.

It's a tossup what I'd get more out of, 2 sessions of instruction vs. 12 of seat time with HPDE instructors.

The other aspect is there's only 1 Johnny O'connell. He won't be instructing in every car... right?

Last edited by yellow01; 06-01-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:56 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow01
I didn't really mean to start a $$$/value discussion. I know I would learn from him either way - that absolutely goes without saying.

The issue for me is money is tight, and $400 buys 3 days x 4 sessions seat time for me, which I lack.

It's a tossup what I'd get more out of, 2 sessions of instruction vs. 12 of seat time with HPDE instructors.

The other aspect is there's only 1 Johnny O'connell. He won't be instructing in every car... right?

I attended Johnny's Camp last year and you are right there is only 1 Johnny O'Connell In my group, he drove with everyone at least once and he stayed on the track giving advice, hints, and no BS. I had his ear anytime I wanted it and Johnny had no problem in jumping in the car to show you what he was talking about. I learned more in one day from Johnny and Rick Swarts than in the 3 HPDE's I attended since. I am not putting down HPDE instructors; lord knows they do a fine job and you get your money's worth. However, seat time with a successful, professional racing driver, in his prime, who can also teach, and who actually drives a Corvette as his personal car is really a fast track learning experiance. We drove from first light untill 5pm-boy was I one wasted puppy! I'm in TB-say did you dye your hair yet-no QTip Vette Drivers

Last edited by AutoCutter; 06-02-2006 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:32 PM
ChasNMe
Pro

i also did the camp last year at CMP. I also thought initially that $400 was steep for a day when i could run a whole weekend for $250, but then i thought about all of the proffesional schools running over $2500 and i figured i would give it a shot. two weeks before the school, guess who called? Johnny O, talking to me about the school, what he expected to be doing and if there were anything specific i wanted to know. skip barber or bob bondurant ever call any of you?
friendly guy at dinner, lots of stories, very personable. i had to work on the first day, so sunday was the only day i could attend. turned out great, because there were 20-22 cars on the first day, 10 on sunday. we had a butt ton of track time, not just two 20 minute sessions, but closer to 2-3 hours. cant gaurantee that, but if there are only 10-12 cars, you will have huge track minutes.
i would do it again for $500 if there were no more than 3 run groups, cant know that until you get there. i would take the chance. it was almost worth the cost having him drive my car. i admit i am not the greatest driver, but i bet he went 15 mph faster at every single point on the track.
my $.02
jake

Get notified of new replies

To Johnny O'Connell planning Corvette Camp in TX

Quick Reply: Johnny O'Connell planning Corvette Camp in TX