Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible ban on street courses

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 10:13 AM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default possible ban on street courses

This is scary for anyone who races, autocrosses, etc. Big Brother is at it again.

http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/25586/
Old 06-02-2006, 10:59 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

And they wonder why so many kids today are street racing. I have to drive over 2 hours to the closest drag strip. 5-6 hours to the closest road corse. At 2.89 a gallon, kids will just go out and run them on the closest back street, highway, or parking lot.

Rnady
Old 06-02-2006, 11:02 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

quote from the artical

All signs seem to point to NASCAR and the International Speedway Corporation, owner of Phoenix International Raceway in the Phoenix suburb of Avondale. It wouldn’t be the first time they’ve tried such a thing – remember the lawsuit attempting to stop the Miami Grand Prix Champ Car/American Le Mans Series race, which took place not too far from Homestead Miami Speedway, another ISC-owned facility?

If the 800lb. gorilla of American motorsports is really behind this, is it really their intention to shut down grassroots motorsports in the state of Arizona? Probably not, but that would be the consequence. And if this anti-competition law succeeds in Arizona, you can bet it will be tried elsewhere.

The funny thing is that ISC makes a lot of money from amateur racers. Its tracks are rented out on a regular basis to groups such as the Sports Car Club of America, the National Auto Sport Association and marque clubs like the Porsche Club of America. ISC tracks even rent out their parking lots to these clubs to hold autocrosses (a gray area under the proposed law, since such competitions don’t actually take place on a racetrack).

The force behind the bill, be it NASCAR, ISC or some well-intentioned-but-ignorant lawmaker, may only be trying to kill one street race. But they’re using a mighty big hammer to do it, one that could wipe out a big chunk of grassroots motorsports in Arizona, and eventually the country.
NASCAR may be at it again to make them the only game in town.

Hey arn't the RICO laws in part about Rackettering??? sure sounds like this may be close. Opps there I go again on my politcal OT thoughts.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:01 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I believe that SEMA (Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association)
is active in opposing all sorts of legislation unfriendly to car
enthusiasts. I do not know of any similar initiatives or capability
within motor racing bodies like SCCA.

Here is a recent snapshot of some things SEMA is involved inFind out more. See what you can do to support and help.

Last edited by Slalom4me; 06-02-2006 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:14 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like Champ Car is crying foul (as they should).

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/25568/

Who here said that CRASHCAR is good for racing in the US?
Old 06-03-2006, 01:41 AM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
And they wonder why so many kids today are street racing. I have to drive over 2 hours to the closest drag strip. 5-6 hours to the closest road corse. At 2.89 a gallon, kids will just go out and run them on the closest back street, highway, or parking lot.

Rnady
Amen brother...watch, street racing will be on the rise...2.89/gallon WHAT? That's it, I'm moving out of Cali!!!!
Old 06-03-2006, 02:10 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Arizona the home of Senator John McCain the guy who wants to take away your Second Amendment rights wants you to play quietly too?
Old 06-03-2006, 02:27 AM
micro
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by xsiveone
Who here said that CRASHCAR is good for racing in the US?
Just to be clear, CRASHCAR as in NASCAR, right?

Chevrolet's money in NASCAR would be better spent on new V-8 engines to power Riley LMP1s in ALMS, imo.

http://theracesite.com/index.cfm?pag...m_article=9580

http://www.rileytech.com/

Old 06-03-2006, 04:11 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by micro
Just to be clear, CRASHCAR as in NASCAR, right?

I call it either CRASHCAR or SMASHCAR because that's all I see whenever I turn on a NASCAR race.

Now, it appears that the Daytona Prototypes are unfortunately turning into CRASHCAR with sports cars. DP racing is owned by the France family, isn't it?
Old 06-03-2006, 05:01 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Some of the American road racing series this year have been hard to watch. It seems that the saftey car drivers are making enough laps to finish in the top ten. The races from Laguna Seca were terrible. Maybe three laps without a yellow. I grew up a road racing fan and it seems like there are a lot of drivers from mid pack down that are only their because of their pocket books. Eddie Cheever has been taken out twice by drivers who looked like they had no idea that anyone else was on the track. I hate to say it, but at Infineon the Smashcar guys put on a great show and seem to actually be able to run more laps without yellows flags.

I feel sorry for Lou when he has to put his Corvette among the back markers. Must be scary .
Old 06-03-2006, 05:52 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by folsomlarry
Some of the American road racing series this year have been hard to watch. It seems that the saftey car drivers are making enough laps to finish in the top ten. The races from Laguna Seca were terrible. Maybe three laps without a yellow. I grew up a road racing fan and it seems like there are a lot of drivers from mid pack down that are only their because of their pocket books. Eddie Cheever has been taken out twice by drivers who looked like they had no idea that anyone else was on the track. I hate to say it, but at Infineon the Smashcar guys put on a great show and seem to actually be able to run more laps without yellows flags.

I feel sorry for Lou when he has to put his Corvette among the back markers. Must be scary .

CRASHCAR is actually decent when they road race.

What happened to Lou? Did he qualify in the back of the pack?
Old 06-25-2006, 02:42 AM
micro
Melting Slicks

Champ Car and NASCAR contine to battle over street race

According to the Arizona Republic, [Phoenix International Raceway president Bryan] Sperber said the city should not consider working with “a rinky-dink race, but with NASCAR, the premiere brand in motorsports.”

http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...OTORSPORTSNEWS

Last edited by micro; 06-25-2006 at 02:52 AM.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:57 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by folsomlarry
Some of the American road racing series this year have been hard to watch. It seems that the saftey car drivers are making enough laps to finish in the top ten. .

That was Grand Am or Grand sham which is owned by CRASHCAR / NASCAR. Safty car = crashes = NASCAR = WWF on wheels.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:00 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

i hate nascar.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:30 PM
Ackattack1
Instructor

Originally Posted by MUKAKsC5
i hate nascar.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:41 AM
FiberglassFan
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by xsiveone

What happened to Lou? Did he qualify in the back of the pack?

Go fast enough and you catch up to them from 'the rear'. Lapping back markers is always tedious.

Get notified of new replies

To possible ban on street courses

Quick Reply: possible ban on street courses