Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 03:44 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Insurance Question

I registered to attend the Midwest F-Body Association track rental event this Oct 14/15 at Road America. I'm getting conflicting responses to my question re insurance coverage.

I'm told this isn't a "timed event" nor is it "competition" or "racing". I have been told it falls in the vauge category of "driver education".

Does my auto insurance remain in effect while I'm participating in this event?

Thanks

Tom
Old 06-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
I registered to attend the Midwest F-Body Association track rental event this Oct 14/15 at Road America. I'm getting conflicting responses to my question re insurance coverage.

I'm told this isn't a "timed event" nor is it "competition" or "racing". I have been told it falls in the vauge category of "driver education".

Thanks

Tom
I know this doesn't help...........IT DEPENDS

I try not to think about it........

DH
Old 06-02-2006, 03:53 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Only way to know for sure is to read your policy and/or speak to your agent. Some folks have been covered in the past but it seems that a lot of policies are being written to specifically not include "drivers educatiuon" events at a racetrack.

Also, insurance is a very state specific biz-just because someones policy in state x covers this does not mean your covered if the policy was written in state y.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:46 PM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Definately read the fine print. Agents don't deal with this often so the guy you talk to may think that it's no big deal and assume it's covered. Remember, if you have to file a claim, nobody cares what your agent told you.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:00 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Dont ask your agent. Read your policy especially the exclussions.

Each state is different for the same company.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Depends on policy and state where policy is written. In NY State Farm will cover a mishap on the track at a Non-Competition event. When I first queried my agent he said definitely not, but I found out he had no clue. Then some acquaintances totaled their cars and State Farm covered the cost. Another guy had $15K in damages to his Z06 and his insurance company paid also. If you total a car they will probably cancel your policy as soon as they pay. I have seen one car being held at Watkins Glen after an accident and when I asked why I was told by the track operator the person's insurance company had specifically requested the car not be removed from the track until they investigated.
Bill
Old 06-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Rogue Leader
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08

I work for an insurance company. Read your policy and exclusions, Almost all will cover any damage you cause to someone elses car (ie you lose control and whack someone) and any injuries you may cause to yourself or a passenger or bystander (depending on the state of course, not all states require injury coverage for yourself). Many but not all policies specifically exclude racing in collision coverage, however depending on the company the definition of racing can be very vague and they can get out of repairing your car on it. I have seen a policy (cant say who) that in theory if you managed to get into an accident in the parking lot of a race track you wouldnt be covered!

PS even if it isnt excluded prepare to be dropped right after you make a claim, and depending upon the state, a company can reject your application for insurance if they know about the accident and consider you too high of a risk because of it.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:15 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

So is the safest practice to just say it happened on the street?
Old 06-03-2006, 02:05 PM
jlucas
Racer

Originally Posted by rgregory
If you want to go to jail for insurance fraud.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Rogue Leader
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08

Not the best idea... all companies have investigators and will investigate the hell out of anything that looks slightly weird especially if there is no police report and you wreck a car like this.

Safe practice? Either dont race or be prepared to eat the loss.....
Old 06-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Wolf Dog
Instructor

Originally Posted by MattW_VA
Also, insurance is a very state specific biz-just because someones policy in state x covers this does not mean your covered if the policy was written in state y.
Very true. As a retired State Farm agent(I'm still young though) who also had a track related accident a few years back, Matt's point is right on the money. I knew the Calif. policy inside and out but still the adjusters have those invisible rules that only they are privy to. I would look for definitions in the policy such as what constitutes a street or roadway, that sort of thing. My event was not timed. I was up front with the adjusters about what I was doing(driver education comes to mind, yea right!). The loss was covered entirely. Anyway, its not always what you see in the policy its what you don't see. I'd be happy to help you out if you have any questions about yours. Only a handfull of companies would actually cancel you if you had a serious loss, but I'm not sure I would want to test out that point if there was a second accident. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:38 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AFVETTE

Thanks

Tom
The Midwest F-Body Association event at Road America is not a driving school like the ones held by NASA, Chin Motorsports, PDA and the SCCA. Most insurance companies will cover you (one time only in some cases) for those events because the sanctioned bodies will verify your attendance with classroom and instructor records. I know that you are on your own for the Midwest F-Body Road America event. You can however purchase separate coverage that will be at a 10 percent deductible of the vehicle's value.

Their web site, http://www.americancollectorsins.com/index.php
Old 06-03-2006, 08:18 PM
jlucas
Racer

Actually it's 20% and that's the company I use as a supplimental for track stuff but they are not available in all states.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:40 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jlucas
Actually it's 20% and that's the company I use as a supplimental for track stuff but they are not available in all states.
My mistake, it is 20%
Old 06-03-2006, 08:55 PM
sefa01
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I am insured by major insurance company in NJ. Recently had incident at The Glen. Damage exceeded $10K. Only question they asked was whether another vehicle was involved (no). Went to auto body shop they recommended--for estimate only. I had car repaired, though, at shop of my choice. They actually sent me a check before car went into shop--and then paid shop directly for additional repairs.

Never asked me ANY questions about accident. And since, they sent me renewal at same premium as last year.

Very happy. If anyone wants name of insurer or further details, pm me.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:58 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sefa01
I am insured by major insurance company in NJ. Recently had incident at The Glen. Damage exceeded $10K. Only question they asked was whether another vehicle was involved (no). Went to auto body shop they recommended--for estimate only. I had car repaired, though, at shop of my choice. They actually sent me a check before car went into shop--and then paid shop directly for additional repairs.

Never asked me ANY questions about accident. And since, they sent me renewal at same premium as last year.

Very happy. If anyone wants name of insurer or further details, pm me.
On the other hand, there have been an instance at NASA events in the In/Oh region in which an instructor had his car repaired. The insurance company (State Farm I believe) made him sign an affidavitt that he would not take any vehicle insured by them out on a track.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:16 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Street ?? Nooo

On a Private road.

Get notified of new replies

To Insurance Question

Old 06-04-2006, 10:46 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

and falsifying a police report Ever wonder why they always need one?
Old 06-04-2006, 01:17 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

I know it isn't a good idea.

This is also why I really like running at motorsport ranch near me very good runoffs so I have no worry about damaging my car unless there is car to car contact which is easily avoidable on the track.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:00 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

"Good runnoffs" don't help if you dig a tire in. Doesn't matter what track you're at, or "how safe" the track looks, there's always an opportunity for Bad Things (tm) to happen. Been there, seen it. To a lesser degree, done it.

Regardless of the policy you have or supplemental coverage, there's always going to be a cost if something happens to the car. The old adage works for DE's and open tracks, just as it does for racing -- "Don't do it if you can't afford to push the car of a cliff at the end of the day".

Quick Reply: Insurance Question