Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake doodads

Old 06-02-2006, 08:55 PM
danswofford
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake doodads

I'm installing stainless steel caliper pistons and Carbotech 12/10s and I'm wondering if the "pad abutment shim" and the "anti rattle spring" have any function in a race car. '02 Z06 application.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

You will need the pad abutment shim since it protects the aluminum caliper from the pad backing plate which is made out of steel. The springs can be tossed. Danny Kellermeyer told me the ends of the pad backing plates should be filed smooth so they can glide across the abutment shim better. If you look closely at the backing plates you will see a sharp line all the way around the middle of the thin edge of the pad on most of the pads. The line comes from the stamping process when the backing plates are cut out of a piece of sheet steel. This is what needs to be filed smooth. You only need to file the end that will impact the abutment shim when the brakes are applied.

Bill
Old 06-04-2006, 12:10 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
You will need the pad abutment shim since it protects the aluminum caliper from the pad backing plate which is made out of steel. The springs can be tossed. Danny Kellermeyer told me the ends of the pad backing plates should be filed smooth so they can glide across the abutment shim better. If you look closely at the backing plates you will see a sharp line all the way around the middle of the thin edge of the pad on most of the pads. The line comes from the stamping process when the backing plates are cut out of a piece of sheet steel. This is what needs to be filed smooth. You only need to file the end that will impact the abutment shim when the brakes are applied.

Bill
If you are talking about the thin metal plate that is sized like the pad backing ......... I was told this is only for anti squeel purposes. Can you elaborate please?

And what spring are you guys refering to ????

DH
Old 06-04-2006, 02:10 PM
danswofford
Pro

The anti rattle spring is a little stamped sheet metal thing that is on the bottom of the abutment bracket. It doesn't seem to do much, just pressing slightly on the bottom tab of the pads.

On my Z06 2002 there was no shim behind the pads just this pad abutment shim which rides on the end tabs of the pads, which appears to allow the pads to squeeze smoothly.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:42 PM
NewC6Toy
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by danswofford
The anti rattle spring is a little stamped sheet metal thing that is on the bottom of the abutment bracket. It doesn't seem to do much, just pressing slightly on the bottom tab of the pads.

On my Z06 2002 there was no shim behind the pads just this pad abutment shim which rides on the end tabs of the pads, which appears to allow the pads to squeeze smoothly.
Are you talking about the stock pull across brakes? I would definately keep the anti rattle spring. It serves a purpose of more than just stopping rattle. The bracket that holds the pads is soft cast iron and backingplates on the pads are much harder than than that bracket. Eventually, the pads wear into the bracket you get alot of play. The anti rattle spring also protects the brackets.

Just a little story about the anti rattle spring. Our 1st tow vehicle was Jeep Grand Cherokee that didn't have them. The front brakes were replaced at least twice, but we only got once under warranty. Three years later when we were shopping for a new tow vehicle, the anti-rattle spings were back.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:47 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Man ..... I must be dense cause I still don't know what you guys are talking about. I Have changed rotors and just replaced pads last week so I thought I knew all the parts.

There is a bent metal piece that attatches to the pad backing to indicate by sound when the pad is low by contacting the inside of the rotor. BTW....I removed this....don't want rotors scratched and check pads before track days

There is a thin flat sheet metal that slips on the back of the pad and must be held in place with caliper grease

There is a copper or brass spring like fitting in the caliper bracket that the ears of brake pad slide in.

........???????????

DH
Old 06-05-2006, 06:49 PM
NewC6Toy
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Man ..... I must be dense cause I still don't know what you guys are talking about. I Have changed rotors and just replaced pads last week so I thought I knew all the parts.

There is a bent metal piece that attatches to the pad backing to indicate by sound when the pad is low by contacting the inside of the rotor. BTW....I removed this....don't want rotors scratched and check pads before track days
That is usually called a "scraper" and is like you said, wear indicator...

There is a thin flat sheet metal that slips on the back of the pad and must be held in place with caliper grease
That is the backing plate... I usually throw that away. Although some
people are selling special heat resistent ones to try and protect the brake calipers and prevent fluid from boiling.

There is a copper or brass spring like fitting in the caliper bracket that the ears of brake pad slide in.
That is the anti rattle spring. I think it does more than prevent the pad
from rattling around in the bracket. But your brakes won't self destruct if you don't have it, so you can try leaving them out and see for yourself.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

Scraper, Backing Plate and Anti Rattle Spring

Others have said the backing plate is to help with brake squeel.

Never considered removing those Anti Rattle Springs.....I lube them!!!

DH
Old 06-06-2006, 01:01 AM
yellow c5r vette
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had been told that the "anti rattle" springs would try to hold or keep the pads from a "full release" with the caliper even if they were "lubed"?
I've been running a C4 in road race for 4 yrs but we didn't have the same style as the C5's.
Since I just built a C5 I removed them and so far no issues.
I agree that one needs to keep a very close eye on all brake components before each race.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake doodads

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake doodads