Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front-only T-1 sways for C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Bob 33
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front-only T-1 sways for C5 Z06

Given the difficulty in obtaining "old-style" T-1 rear sway bars that clear the muffler of C5 Z06s, is there a problem with going only with the available front T-1 sways and sticking with the stock rear Z06 sways for a trackable street car? Stock 03 shocks will be used on a car with Toyo RA-1s. From some experienced roadracers, I understand that most of the benefit of the T-1 sway upgrade comes from the front bars. Has anyone tried the front-only T-1 sway upgrade? I don't want to upset the overall suspension tuning and install an "upgrade" that is inferior to stock.

Bob 33
Old 06-04-2006, 04:20 PM
RyanZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Mixing a T1 sway bar in the front and Z06 sway bar in the rear is NOT recommended. This will cause the front of the car to push severely, making the car hard to control, because of the lack of front grip. The T1 sway bars are sized approprietly to work together.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:43 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I think Hotchkis bars would be a better choice.

Steve
Old 06-05-2006, 12:24 AM
Bob 33
Racer

Has anyone actually tried this set-up, T-1 sways in front, with stock Z06 sways in the rear?
Old 06-05-2006, 12:33 AM
RyanZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob 33
Has anyone actually tried this set-up, T-1 sways in front, with stock Z06 sways in the rear?
No bob. Like I said, it isnt recommend, and WILL NOT WORK. Purchase Z06 sway bars, hotchkis bars, or T1 bars... They are not for mixing and matching.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:44 AM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes. I wouldn't recommend trying it, under any circumstance.

Either find old-style T1 bars, call Hotchkis and see if they'll custom make the old T1 bars for you, or get another matched set of bars.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:08 AM
tigerdrvr
Pro

I think the T1 bar would just be too much, no matter what you did with alignment, with the stock rear bar. However, if you want to stick with the oem rear stabar, you could get an Addco bar in either 32mm or 35mm for the front...the 35mm would be too much, but the 32mm bar works great with the stock rear bar.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:58 AM
Bob 33
Racer

I certainly don't advocate mixing suspension parts that were designed as a system to work together. But some changes are less critical than others and someone in this group may have actually tried this combo. Some, for example, advocate use of the T-1 sways with other stock suspension parts, yet this combo itself involves using only part of a tuned suspension package. Just trying to benefit from the actual experience of others.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:36 AM
RyanZ06
Burning Brakes

I certainly don't advocate mixing suspension parts that were designed as a system to work together. But some changes are less critical than others and someone in this group may have actually tried this combo. Some, for example, advocate use of the T-1 sways with other stock suspension parts, yet this combo itself involves using only part of a tuned suspension package. Just trying to benefit from the actual experience of others.
Bob, I understand what you're saying.

I'm simply saying not to mix and match suspension parts FRONT TO REAR, as this upsets the balance of the suspension.

Adding parts like T1 sway bars to a car with stock springs and shocks will WORK, and work BETTER than the stock stuff, but that doesnt mean it's the best, as the car would then benefit from stiffer springs, and better valved shocks.

All I will say now is I dont need to "try" the "T1 in the front, stock sway in the rear" to tell you it doesnt work, but maybe you could be on track to prove me wrong, maybe not
Old 06-05-2006, 10:36 AM
bk
Racer

I tried a T1 front with Z51 rear just for grins to see how much difference it makes. It pushes horribly. No way woud you want something less than T1 rear if you use a T1 front.IMHO.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:16 PM
tigerdrvr
Pro

There's absolutely nothing wrong with "mixing and matching" stabars...they are just torsion bars, after all! You may want your car to do something that others would not prefer and may use different bars. If you're more comfortable and faster, then it works...for you. The only issue is mismatching rates to a point where you have to compromise grip too much at one end of the car to make the other end work.

Get notified of new replies

To Front-only T-1 sways for C5 Z06

Quick Reply: Front-only T-1 sways for C5 Z06