Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Control Arm Offset Bushing Help (cross post C4 tech)

Old 06-04-2006, 11:52 AM
RickF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lower Control Arm Offset Bushing Help (cross post C4 tech)

This is also posted in C4 tech but I'm not having much luck. I figured someone over here has these.
I'm changing the lower ball joints on my 94 and thought that since I will have the lower control arms out I would also replace the LCA bushings. The main use of the car is HPDE so I decided on the VBP offset bushing for more camber adjustability.
Anyhow, the offset bushings did not come with instructions. I assume that I want the "skinny" side of the bushing to the inside of the car, correct? Where is the proper place to drill the LCAs for the set screws? Do you drill into the bushings also or do the set screws "bite" into them? Any advice is much appreciated,
Thanks
Old 06-04-2006, 05:39 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RickF
This is also posted in C4 tech but I'm not having much luck.
I've posted to the thread over in C4 Tech.

Just my opinions on Q2 & Q3. Perhaps others who know about the
set screw placement and depth can join in over there.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:03 PM
shotchkiss
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Figured I'd reply here also.

When I emailed them, their reply was:

Me:

Hi, I just received a set of 32108 offset lower control arm bushings, but there were no install instructions with them. I was wondering where the set screws should be drilled through the control arms to hold them.

Their reply:

In reply to your E-Mail
This would be toward the balljoint side of the bushing.

Me:

So would it go on the top of the suspension arm or the bottom closest to the balljoint side?

Also, should these bushings fit loosely into the arms, they dropped in with no pressure and will fall out on their own if the center bushing sleeve is not in place to hold them together?

Their reply:

In reply to your E-Mail
Generally one bolt on top and one bolt on the bottom. The bushings should slide in with minimum pressure.

(btw, I ended up not using them because they fit way to loose in my lower control arms, I don't know if they were just from a bad batch or my arms were worn out, but the credited my money back and were really nice people to deal with, I would definetly buy from them in the future)
Old 06-06-2006, 07:38 AM
fmrfast
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RickF
This is also posted in C4 tech but I'm not having much luck. I figured someone over here has these.
I'm changing the lower ball joints on my 94 and thought that since I will have the lower control arms out I would also replace the LCA bushings. The main use of the car is HPDE so I decided on the VBP offset bushing for more camber adjustability.
Anyhow, the offset bushings did not come with instructions. I assume that I want the "skinny" side of the bushing to the inside of the car, correct? Where is the proper place to drill the LCAs for the set screws? Do you drill into the bushings also or do the set screws "bite" into them? Any advice is much appreciated,
Thanks
To gain more negative camber (which is what you want for HPDE's) you would put the skinniest part of the offset bushing toward the tire, the part of the bushing with the most meat (thickest would go toward the engine bay)

This would move the lower control arm outward thus giving you more negative camber. (Bottom of the tire you are woking with here so moving it outward gives the negative camber)

How they are held in that position, I can't help you with. if you find out let us know, that would be interesting to see how they keep the bushing from rotating in control arm.

Frank
Old 06-06-2006, 11:52 AM
fmrfast
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fmrfast
To gain more negative camber (which is what you want for HPDE's) you would put the skinniest part of the offset bushing toward the tire, the part of the bushing with the most meat (thickest would go toward the engine bay)

This would move the lower control arm outward thus giving you more negative camber. (Bottom of the tire you are woking with here so moving it outward gives the negative camber)

How they are held in that position, I can't help you with. if you find out let us know, that would be interesting to see how they keep the bushing from rotating in control arm.

Frank
I have been challenged on my response & I am not near my car so therefore if you are going to do this, put the bushings in fat side out & then rotate the bushing in the arm to try fat side in & see which position moves the bottom of the tire outward.

Frank
Old 06-06-2006, 08:29 PM
shotchkiss
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Slimmest part towards the center of the car, fattest part of the bushing on the outside. Metal bushing is always in the same place because because it is attached to the car, you want the arms to move out.

Or you could think of it this way, if the arms were attached to the car and you pulled them outward, just imagine which side of the bushing would get squished - the side closest to the car would.

Get notified of new replies

To Lower Control Arm Offset Bushing Help (cross post C4 tech)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lower Control Arm Offset Bushing Help (cross post C4 tech)