Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This just in (CMP In-Car Video).........

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Default This just in (CMP In-Car Video).........

We just spent a great weekend with the Mustange Club at Carolina Motorsports Pakr in South Carolina. During a session this morning this happened in front of me.....Turn 12
Old 06-04-2006, 06:55 PM
VFrc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looked like he recovered from putting the wheels off and then what happened going into the next turn?
Old 06-04-2006, 07:12 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like a cut or corded tire down a few PSI . . .
Old 06-04-2006, 07:39 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

He had just come on track and hadn't warmed up his tires and brakes. He had just installed new pads and they weren't bedded, yet. After his slight bobble over the Kink, I thought he had it all gathered back up, but under heavy braking, the brakes appeared to apply unevenly or grab. No harm and he was back on his way after getting back on track.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:34 PM
JRD77VET
Team Owner

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

I bet that was exciting for him

Glad to hear no damage

Jeff
Old 06-04-2006, 10:25 PM
Stop&TurnFreak
Heel & Toe

It was a great weekend!
Old 06-05-2006, 05:07 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
We just spent a great weekend with the Mustange Club at Carolina Motorsports Pakr in South Carolina. During a session this morning this happened in front of me.....Turn 12
We had a great time and the event was exceptionally well run. Friday was unreal with open track all day. Seldom more than 10 cars at a time and run till you drop!

This is the first time I have seen the use of a pilot car to end a session and it works great. There are cars on track all the time this way. They also did two cone lines and a lane change exercise on track for the Green students which was excellent … much better that the old skid pad stuff.

I will try to put up a couple of quick vids in a day or so. The Corvette started getting ugly by Sunday and set the famous service active handling in the DIC! I don't know what all that issue will be about.

A great crowd was present, very friendly and allot of Corvettes represented. It was just about a shoot out between Jody and Wild Bill It was nice to see Brad again and a couple of other familiar faces.

A special thanks to James Ray and the whole club for their effort and a great event .... now if we can just get them to go to VIR!
Old 06-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Stop&TurnFreak
Heel & Toe

RBL, what group did you run in?

Yes, I have to admit,the corvettes were there in full force. For me, I was happy to see another Evo, I am so used to be the only one there, which stinks. However, great guys like Jody always make sure I feel like one of the cool guys, by not holding my four door four cylinder car against me.

If any of you have any video of me, I would appreciate it, my camera crapped out (user error) on Saturday, and Sunday I was sick, and couldn't ride.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

David, I ran up against that silver EVO on Sunday morning. Man, that thing was a rocket and the fellow was a helluva driver. He got on me between t.13 & t.14. I pointed him by after t.14 and tried to stay with him. I followed him pretty closely going into tT.1 and that thing stuck like glue. My tires were used up from some hard running on Sat so I couldn't stay on him. Finally, he came back to the field when his tires got hot and he had to face the same conditions as the rest of us.

The EVO's have always had my respect, because I know how fast they are, particuarily when well driven.

Rex, hopefully Debbie enjoyed her ride. And you're right, it's great to see Brad amongst us again.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:07 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl
This is the first time I have seen the use of a pilot car to end a session and it works great. There are cars on track all the time this way. They also did two cone lines and a lane change exercise on track for the Green students which was excellent … much better that the old skid pad stuff.
I have never heard of these practices in California.

What is the use of a pilot car?

And what are "cone lines" and "lane change" exercises?

TIA
Old 06-06-2006, 08:23 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
I have never heard of these practices in California.

What is the use of a pilot car?

And what are "cone lines" and "lane change" exercises?

TIA
Pilot car collects the group at the end of a session and when it is at point X on the track they release the next group. So you get a full cool down lap and the next group does not wait for you to complete it. Otherwise you get a half lap for cool down and everyone waits until the group is in before releasing the next group.

They set up two cone lines at different intervals for high speed slalom, another line for a high speed lane change, and more for threshold braking. Use a pilot car and the lines are run one at a time by the students, first left to right then right to left. It is spaced out to use the entire track and takes two laps, about 35 minutes. It is the first session and only done once so the individual gets to feel what the car will do, how well it brakes, etc. Some schools use a skid pad and do turning exercises but I think this was much better and it gave the person allot more room on track to get a feel for it.

Rex, hopefully Debbie enjoyed her ride. And you're right, it's great to see Brad amongst us again.
I thought I was the only one who could make her smile like that Jody ....

RBL, what group did you run in?
I was in the Yellow Spec Racer Ford. It ran great on Friday, part of Sat. but I didn't get it out on Sunday. I only drove the Corvette one session Sunday.

Last edited by rbl; 06-06-2006 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:06 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stop&TurnFreak

It was a great weekend!

And I missed it - I love running with the SCMC.....
Old 06-14-2006, 07:51 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Falcon
I am sitting here in a west coast hotel with a body on east coast time with high speed access so I can actually watch all the nice videos!
Old 06-15-2006, 06:45 PM
Cisitalia
Racer

Default Proof

Here is a picture of the Mayor of BPK actually doing some work. He tried to get some one to do it for him, but we thought it would be more fun to pick on him. He made some silly comment like "that picture won't be on the internet will it?"

OBTW, he was really slow at replacing those rotors. Even so, it did not cut into his beer drinking.

I forgot all about it. So here it is. I have to fullfill my duty.

Old 06-15-2006, 07:44 PM
Phil Smith
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice pic Brad. Looks the rotors just came out the box. Did he bed them in on the way to the Hotel?

Phil
Old 06-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Golly it was hot that day, and I couldn't find anyone to do the work for me. All my friends were there drinking beer and cheering me on, so i was in no hurry.

The Mazda guys there watching kept telling me how bad the engineering was on the brakes.....until I mentioned I kept seeing them in my rearview mirror, then they had magically had something else to do.

Phil, I used the lanes on the paddock to bed them as well as I could.

Thanks Brad, for the memories!
Old 06-15-2006, 09:47 PM
Z06 Silver Bullet
Racer

That's a classic CMP shot.

A man and his new rotors after a few sessions in the heat.

Get notified of new replies

To This just in (CMP In-Car Video).........

Old 06-15-2006, 10:51 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil Smith
Nice pic Brad. Looks the rotors just came out the box. Did he bed them in on the way to the Hotel?

Phil
Daym....The shine on those rotors would do a waxer proud
Old 06-16-2006, 11:22 AM
Z06 Silver Bullet
Racer

Did anyone else notice the shoes he is wearing why changing rotors.

Jody...a man always thinking about style and saftey.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:36 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06 Silver Bullet
Did anyone else notice the shoes he is wearing why changing rotors.

Jody...a man always thinking about style and saftey.

I thought shoes were optional in his neck of the woods?

Headed to Rockingham in about an hour.... After Jake gets done with "breakfast" with his girlfriend

Quick Reply: This just in (CMP In-Car Video).........