Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbotech pads vs. Hawks HP plus at the track.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 08:02 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Carbotech pads vs. Hawks HP plus at the track.

I received some Carbotech pads 1111 from a friend. Installed them front and back. Went racing after bed in procedure. Only got in 2 track days and some autocrosses. Cold stopping was perfectly fine. You could easily drive these on the streets. Hot stopping almost no fade. Hawk HP plus is what I normally use and they are just as good in the cold and hot (Not weather, brake temps.)as the Carbotech pads. I could not tell any difference in the two. Where I could tell the difference is that the Hawks lasted twice as long. The Carbotechs are riveted, where the Hawks are glued on. I didn't buy the Carbotechs, but I think they are more expensive too. Just something to think about next time you what to try pads.

Steve
Old 06-04-2006, 08:56 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
I received some Carbotech pads 1111 from a friend. Installed them front and back. Went racing after bed in procedure. Only got in 2 track days and some autocrosses. Cold stopping was perfectly fine. You could easily drive these on the streets. Hot stopping almost no fade. Hawk HP plus is what I normally use and they are just as good in the cold and hot (Not weather, brake temps.)as the Carbotech pads. I could not tell any difference in the two. Where I could tell the difference is that the Hawks lasted twice as long. The Carbotechs are riveted, where the Hawks are glued on. I didn't buy the Carbotechs, but I think they are more expensive too. Just something to think about next time you what to try pads.

Steve
Steve, I also run the Hawk HP+ in my Z06 for autocrossing. Good pad. However, for use on a track with R tires the HP+ does not perform well at high temperatures. Look for other pads from Hawk with higher temperature ratings. Right now I am using their DTC-70 which provides unbelievable braking performance in tracks with hard stops from high speeds (Pocono, VIR, Road Atlanta).

Carbotech also offers a broad range of pads depending on the severity of the use you have in mind. The trick here is to get the right pad for the application, which depends on the speeds, type of tire, car weight, etc. XP-10, XP-11 or XP-12 are typically the pad of choice for Vettes in high speed tracks with sticky tires.

Feel free to call the manufacturers and talk to them about your particular use. I have found them to be very cooperative, well informed and willing to help you select the right pad for YOUR use.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 06-05-2006, 12:15 AM
danswofford
Pro

For me HP+ were entirely unsatisfactory for the track. I've changed to Carbotech 12/10 but have not been out with them yet.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:10 AM
tigerdrvr
Pro

Off topic...kind of...
Frank, when autocrossing with the HP+, did you notice the brakes going into "ice mode" more?
Old 06-05-2006, 04:34 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tigerdrvr
Off topic...kind of...
Frank, when autocrossing with the HP+, did you notice the brakes going into "ice mode" more?
My co-driver and I have been using the HP+ for 3 years. I have seen "ice mode" only once. Of course, it happened at the most inopportune time...

Frank G.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:00 AM
Rob's 73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I give up....What's ice mode?
Old 06-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Rob's 73

Old 06-05-2006, 08:28 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Ok what is the next step after the HP+. I ran the HP+ a few times and the stopping was better than stock, but now it is time to move to the next level of braking.

Any suggestions on what I should order next.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
Ok what is the next step after the HP+. I ran the HP+ a few times and the stopping was better than stock, but now it is time to move to the next level of braking.

Wilwood H compounds....
Old 06-05-2006, 11:22 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Maineiac
Wilwood H compounds....

is that what you had on at WGI? I know on the front straight you hit your brakes and I went to brake and thought I was not going to slow quick enough.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

is that what you had on at WGI? I know on the front straight you hit your brakes and I went to brake and thought I was not going to slow quick enough.
Yup.....

Good stuff....and supposed to wear well.....
Old 06-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Maineiac
Yup.....

Good stuff....and supposed to wear well.....

great another expense
Old 06-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

great another expense
It's always something.....
Old 06-05-2006, 12:28 PM
tigerdrvr
Pro

Originally Posted by Rob's 73
"Ice mode" occurs when the ABS computer senses a lack of traction at one wheel...like if you were braking on ice. It then cuts the total braking power available to the system by a large amount...which is NOT a good thing, when you're trying to slow down enough to have sufficient front end bite to turn in. I've experienced it in only one circumstance autocrossing my Z06, which was a very hard braking zone to set up a 90 degree right, coming off of a very long left sweeper, with no transition straight section to settle the car.
A couple of people have told me that the Hawk HP+ pads are more likely to trigger ice mode than the oem's and I wanted Frank's opinion.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:33 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

"Ice mode" occurs when the ABS computer senses a lack of traction at one wheel...like if you were braking on ice. It then cuts the total braking power available to the system by a large amount...which is NOT a good thing, when you're trying to slow down enough to have sufficient front end bite to turn in. I've experienced it in only one circumstance autocrossing my Z06, which was a very hard braking zone to set up a 90 degree right, coming off of a very long left sweeper, with no transition straight section to settle the car.
A couple of people have told me that the Hawk HP+ pads are more likely to trigger ice mode than the oem's and I wanted Frank's opinion.
thanks
Old 06-05-2006, 05:00 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Weasel you are likely to get as many opinions as there are responders to this question. You can get good pads from many manufacturers, including (but not necessarily in that order) Wilwood, Carbotech, Porterfield, Hawk, PFC-01 (can't remember the exact name of the manufacturer, it's Performance something or other).

If you check with the T-1 drivers, the majority run on Carbotech XP-10, XP-11 or XP-12, Hawk DTC-70s or Performance PFC-01. Why reinvent the wheel when these guys have been testing pads for years to get the best?

All last year I ran on PFC-01s and I can tell you they are a fantastic pad. Fronts lasted me 3 to 4 HPDE days, which is fairly good. Rotor friendly too.

The hardest part is to pick which pad from each manufcturer is best for your application. Some of the higher temp pads give spotty friction at low temps, so you have to be careful in the first couple of laps until the get good and hot. Also they tend to squeal when cold and sut more than milder pads.

Brakes are all about compromise. You gain in one area while you lose in another. That's why I suggested you talk to the manufacturers about what you expect to do with your pads.

This year I have Hawk DTC-70s on my C5Z and Carbotech XP-12s in my C6Z (Carbotech is the only manufacturer I know of that is currently making racing padlets for the C6Z).

I urge you to move up from the Hawk HP+. They are a good pad for improved performance on the street, autocrossing or mild track use, but if you are going to use them hard at a place like Pocono, you need pads that can withstand higher temps.

Hope this helps.
Frank Gonzalez
Old 06-05-2006, 05:39 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Off topic...kind of...
I have felt it quite a few times. I'm to heavy on the pedal. Either I have to brake with less pressure or switch to Z06 pads for autocross.

Steve
Old 06-05-2006, 06:01 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scary stuff...
Old 06-06-2006, 04:53 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm completely with Frank on this one. My advice is always to head over to www.porterfield-brakes.com. They sell pads from about six manufacturers, if you use the drop down menu for each you get a nice paragraph about each pad choice. Find a few that sound like your application, then post here to get real-world experiences from some members. Ignore the "my buddy used them and they rock" statements. Listen to the "I ran them hard and the cold braking performance was lacking but they had minimal fade over time" statements. Then make your choice.

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
Wilwood, Carbotech, Porterfield, Hawk, PFC-01 (can't remember the exact name of the manufacturer, it's Performance something or other).

All last year I ran on PFC-01s and I can tell you they are a fantastic pad. Fronts lasted me 3 to 4 HPDE days, which is fairly good. Rotor friendly too.
Performance Friction. I've used several PFC pads and they are very good. My only problem is that they stopped making them for my caliper. Last year I switched to Raybestos ST-41's and they're a great substitute.

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
I urge you to move up from the Hawk HP+. They are a good pad for improved performance on the street, autocrossing or mild track use, but if you are going to use them hard at a place like Pocono, you need pads that can withstand higher temps.
Ditto. I tried the HP+ on my street car and found them to be a joke. They're horrible on the street (they sound like a school bus and dust more than my track pads) and they had terrible fade on the track after only a few laps. They held up for maybe two more laps than my street pads. I see no reason for these pads to exist, really. Like most compromises, instead of doing both things adequately they do niether acceptably.

Either get some real track pads and deal with the dust and squeak, or do the safe thing and have street pads and track pads. It's only an hour to switch 'em.

Good Luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Carbotech pads vs. Hawks HP plus at the track.

Quick Reply: Carbotech pads vs. Hawks HP plus at the track.