Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alter this suspension equation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 10:22 PM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default Alter this suspension equation?

Base/Stock/Coupe suspension (springs, shocks, sways) ...

minus stock shocks ...

minus stock sway bars ...

... plus Bilsten Sport Shocks

... plus Z06 sway bars

... equals one pretty good setup (even with the remaining stock/base springs)

I like the taughtness of things and it's not all that rough for a daily driver. But, the springs are not making me happy at HPDEs.

Some people feel I can have a better setup. One says, "Get a full T-1 package." (But that's big $$$$.) Another says, "Get some C5R springs." Still another says, "Get some Z06 springs or go for a set of VBP Extreme springs."

Any comments/ideas/suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-05-2006, 06:36 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

If you are going to change springs, best to change both and retain the balance. If you just change one end expect heavy oversteer or understeer, depending on which one you change.

If you were "pretty happy" with your prior setup, going a lot stiffer probably isn't a good idea.

I would suggest going to the Z06 springs. It will tighten it up, you will still have a balanced setup, decent street ride and it isn't horribly expensive..
Old 06-05-2006, 07:31 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the Z06 springs, bars and bilsteins my car is very fast (for me) at the track. I gave ZERO passes this weekend (and not because I wasn't paying attention). My only point here is the setup is quite good.

that said, I'm saving for T1 or better. I can feel the roll, and can tell you with 3-fingers clearance between the fender and tire, I rubbed this weekend when using V710s. That's alot of compression in corners.

Also, with the Wilwoods and V710s it's really diving badly now under braking, so I'd like firmer springs.

I guess the moral is it depends how agressive you are, and want to be, and how much street driving you plan.

If you retain the z06 bars, I'd stick with z06 springs, and you WILL have a fast setup that is perfectly acceptable on the street.

I wouldn't recommend going crazy with the springs (ala T1 or 1000 lb VBPs) unless you plan on switching out other stuff to match.

Just my input.

Jon

Get notified of new replies

To Alter this suspension equation?

Quick Reply: Alter this suspension equation?