Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indy Race At WGI

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default Indy Race At WGI

For people that watched the race

The Andretti's were a bit pissed off today with Cheever.

Andretti was charging hard. He had just completed the fastest lap of the race by any driver and was running third -- his starting position -- when he attempted to pass the lapped car of Eddie Cheever on Lap 39. But as he swung around the much slower car, Cheever drove into Andretti's left side, slamming him into the guard rail and a tire barrier coming into Turn 11.

Andretti raised his fist in anger after climbing from the cockpit, as his father, Michael, steamed in the pits.

"It was so blatant, he does it all the time," Michael Andretti said. "The guy doesn't belong on the racetrack. He takes the kid out. Just stupid."

"Blatant, absolutely on-purpose deal," said Marco, who last week became the first driver to lose the lead on the last lap of the Indianapolis 500 when he was passed by winner Sam Hornish Jr.

Despite his youth and relative inexperience next to Cheever, 48, Andretti didn't hold his frustration back.

"If he didn't know I was there, come on, that's a little scary," Andretti said. "You're in the wrong business. There won't be a discussion, I can tell you that. The car was a contender. The car felt so good."

Cheever, who also collided with Andretti in practice prior to the second race of the season in St. Petersburg, blamed the wreck on his battle for control on new tires.

"I didn't have any problem with him getting by," Cheever said. "It was just bad circumstances. I was doing everything I could to keep the car straight. There was no room for me to move. He passed me on the high side."
Old 06-04-2006, 11:09 PM
MazdaRob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw it on replay. Cheever needs to hang it up. He has wrecked everything he has driven from his IROC car, to his DP car, to Marco. How could he not know he was there.

Maybe Eddie has been imbibing too much of his DP sponsors beverage
Old 06-05-2006, 09:32 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

It's too bad Cheever was there.

Andretti drove thru a huge water puddle (rookie move) and probably would not have made the next corner with wet tires anyway.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:37 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549

Andretti drove thru a huge water puddle (rookie move) and probably would not have made the next corner with wet tires anyway.

well I guess we will never know. He seemed to be flying all afternoon and just posted the fastest lap of the day when he got hit.

Danica had a few choice words for him too. Maybe it is time for him to get out...
Old 06-05-2006, 10:48 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

Argh, I missed the race! Anyone know when (if) it'll be replayed?

TIA, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-05-2006, 10:53 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,407 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549

That water would have not been an issue at all for Marco at the next turn.

Cheever needs to quite and he most likely will be gone soon.

He has had a very hard time getting sponsorship dollars and this will NOT help that cause.

Get notified of new replies

To Indy Race At WGI

Quick Reply: Indy Race At WGI