Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness bars

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 09:26 AM
vette dan
Vette Dan
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harness bars

Anyone got any pics of how the arizona speed and marine harness bar looks??? I need to get a harness bar but darn are they proud of them.

TXS

Danny
Old 06-05-2006, 10:23 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, I recently installed a Brey-Krause harness bar in my '03 Z06. Easy installation and excellent fit and finish. I'm very happy with it. And it looks great in the car, very unobtrusive.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:46 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

I'm running an AS&M bar and have been quite happy with it. I don't know if it's as good for high speed impact protection as others, but since all I'm wanting is something that'll hold me in my seat for autocross it works just fine.

I don't have any pics of it right now, but I'll try to email you some tonight when I get home.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-05-2006, 11:29 AM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently hit a wall head-on at high speed and can say there's no question about the Hardbar's ability to withstand serious impact. Buy quality.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:58 AM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tcmc5
I recently hit a wall head-on at high speed and can say there's no question about the Hardbar's ability to withstand serious impact. Buy quality.
Wow, Hardbar's web site is not working. Do you have any info on them?
What harness are you using? Do the make a C6 bar? 5 pt or 6 pt?
I just started with a HPDE and need to get up to speed.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:52 AM
toolman44092
Pro

Here's my Arizone Speed & Marine bar. The camera and extinguisher mounts are great.

Old 06-10-2006, 10:16 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by C6RAPTOR
Wow, Hardbar's web site is not working. Do you have any info on them?
What harness are you using? Do the make a C6 bar? 5 pt or 6 pt?
I just started with a HPDE and need to get up to speed.

Just email me and I will send you the instructions. The Hardbar is unequivocally the lightest and is used by the SCCA Solo National Champ Danny Popp. It also has been crash tested many times (fortunately or unfortunately) and is a proven design. The last thing you want is a bar that puts the shoulder harness alot lower than your shoulders. Doing that will compress your spine in a forward hit. The lap belt holds you down into the seat, the shoulder harness is supposed to hold you from going forward. Not only is the Hardbar one of the very few that was designed by a real structural engineer with an actual engineering degree, it had an Orthopedic surgeon's input as well.
It is available for C4, C5 and now for the C6 and C6ZO6 in aluminum for $300 plus shipping or filament wound graphite fiber-epoxy for $600 (special order only). The aluminum is 7-8 pounds the graphite is 3 pounds.
Thanks,
Gary Hoffman
Hardbarusa.com
603-682-8073
Old 06-10-2006, 10:37 AM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=ghoffman]Just email me and I will send you the instructions. The Hardbar is unequivocally the lightest and is used by the SCCA Solo National Champ Danny Popp. It also has been crash tested many times (fortunately or unfortunately) and is a proven design. The last thing you want is a bar that puts the shoulder harness alot lower than your shoulders. Doing that will compress your spine in a forward hit. The lap belt holds you down into the seat, the shoulder harness is supposed to hold you from going forward. Not only is the Hardbar one of the very few that was designed by a real structural engineer with an actual engineering degree, it had an Orthopedic surgeon's input as well.
It is available for C4, C5 and now for the C6 and C6ZO6 in aluminum for $300 plus shipping or filament wound graphite fiber-epoxy for $600 (special order only). The aluminum is 7-8 pounds the graphite is 3 pounds.
Thanks,
Gary Hoffman

Gary,
Do you sell with 6 pt. harness? If yes, what kind? i.e. Crow, Impact.
Thanks
Gary
Old 06-10-2006, 11:28 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Yes, we use and sell the superb Teamtech. http://www.teamtechmotorsports.com/r...ess/index.html

They are standard equipment in the Viper Comp Coupe, made is USA. We normally recommend the RamPac that has a fully padded torso not just a couple of belts and and the best sternum strap that won't choke you in a hit. Think like a padded business suit vest so it is both comfortable and safe.

The camlock is CNC billet aluminum with SS pins and is a large knurled **** that you turn either way. I really dislike a lever type camlocks ever since I unlatched one once with the elbow of my driver's suit. In addition, some of the brands you mentioned barely de-burr the stamped steel buckles and have the fabric rubbing against the almost sharp edges. The Teamtech has an additional "U" sheet steel piece that is similar to a thimble for steel cable to prevent chafing.
The list goes on like loops for your thumbs for tightening and loosening, and any color or combination of colors. They certainly are not cheap, but they are the best. The Rampac is around $300 but you can save some money by getting an entire system from us consisting of the Hardbar, lap/sub belt mount and Harness in one integrated package that all "plays" together.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:45 AM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Yes, we use and sell the superb Teamtech. http://www.teamtechmotorsports.com/r...ess/index.html

They are standard equipment in the Viper Comp Coupe, made is USA. We normally recommend the RamPac that has a fully padded torso not just a couple of belts and and the best sternum strap that won't choke you in a hit. Think like a padded business suit vest so it is both comfortable and safe.

The camlock is CNC billet aluminum with SS pins and is a large knurled **** that you turn either way. I really dislike a lever type camlocks ever since I unlatched one once with the elbow of my driver's suit. In addition, some of the brands you mentioned barely de-burr the stamped steel buckles and have the fabric rubbing against the almost sharp edges. The Teamtech has an additional "U" sheet steel piece that is similar to a thimble for steel cable to prevent chafing.
The list goes on like loops for your thumbs for tightening and loosening, and any color or combination of colors. They certainly are not cheap, but they are the best. The Rampac is around $300 but you can save some money by getting an entire system from us consisting of the Hardbar, lap/sub belt mount and Harness in one integrated package that all "plays" together.
Does Teamtech have a 6 point harness? It looks like the Rampac is a 5 point. If they do what about the mounts for the crotch belts.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:57 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Oh but of course! I never recommend, or sell 5 points, 6 point is the way to go unless you opt for the top-of-the line Jet Pilot which is like a parachute or rock climbing harness. It is hard to describe or see on their web site but the lap belt is split and has only 4 attach points (but is NOT a "4 point"). I personally use the Jet Pilot. Here is their description:

Jet Pilot - This Uniquely Patented design incorporates padded leg straps for zero "Forward Excursion of the pelvis underneath the lab belt"(also called Submarining). This System is similar in function to a repelling harness. The adjustable anti-submarining straps wrap around the upper thighs of each leg and attach to the latch/link buckle(or rotary buckle) lap belt. This harness also comes with chest and pelvic pads, a sternum strap, and lumbar support to complete the Jet Pilot system. These harnesses have the most anti-Submarine control available in addition to further limiting any awkward sideways leg movement and pivoting of the pelvis in the seat. This support is essential during off-road and road race and marine racing courses where compound off center horizontal - vertical movements and high deceleration rates are extreme. If you need to stay put in your seat, and not slide under the lap belt, the Jet Pilot Harness is designed especially for you. The Jet Pilot harness is only available with pull-up lap belt adjustments.

This what TCMC5 had in his car when he had the unfortunate car totalling hard hit and walked away.

Last edited by ghoffman; 06-10-2006 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:54 PM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

How do you get into it? It looks complicated!!
Old 06-10-2006, 06:12 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

I know it does, but in practice it is easy. It is very difficult to describe but Curt Tucker at TeamTech is a genius.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:21 AM
gwmesler
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a BK harness bar in my 2000 Coupe and loved it. I removed it before I sold the car. Now I'm trying to sell the harness bar and a Crow 6-pt harness to a guy with an '03 Z06.

In my car, the seat back had an opening that the shoulder harness went through. He says his seat doesn't have this opening in the seat back. Has anyone seen this type of seat before? How do you get the shoulder harness to work with this type of seat?
Old 06-11-2006, 11:37 AM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gwmesler
I had a BK harness bar in my 2000 Coupe and loved it. I removed it before I sold the car. Now I'm trying to sell the harness bar and a Crow 6-pt harness to a guy with an '03 Z06.

In my car, the seat back had an opening that the shoulder harness went through. He says his seat doesn't have this opening in the seat back. Has anyone seen this type of seat before? How do you get the shoulder harness to work with this type of seat?
The way I understand a Sternum Strap type harness is needed to keep the shoulder straps together.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Mako7
Drifting

Someone really needs to come up with a slick harness bar and integrated roll hoop for the C6Z that does not destroy the aluminum frame.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Mako7
Drifting

Someone really needs to come up with a slick harness bar and integrated roll hoop for the C6Z that does not destroy the aluminum frame.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:52 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by Mako7
The C6 and C5 FRCs already have integrated roll hoops.

C5 (and C6) stock seats don't have the cutouts that your seats had. Your setup was with the sport seat option. My solution was to buy some used sport seat skins and converted my seats. In GM's infinite wisdom they refused to make the sport seat option available to the FRC/Z06 cars (the ones most likely to use them!).

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-11-2006, 02:46 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by C6RAPTOR
The way I understand a Sternum Strap type harness is needed to keep the shoulder straps together.
Correct, but you don't want a metal clasp type of sternum strap that can choke you. We use split shaft collars on our bars so that you can slide the harnesses as tight around your seat as you wish.

With a wrap around type of shoulder harness you simply use put this collar wherever you wish and tighten with an Hex key.

Get notified of new replies

To Harness bars

Quick Reply: Harness bars