Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you cut the rear springs on a C5?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Can you cut the rear springs on a C5?

I want to lower my car some more but the spring rubs on my 17x12 CCW when I get too low. I've heard the T1 springs are shorter and I may have to switch to a rear T1.

Question: Can I cut the metal ends off the stock spring? I currently have a zo6 rear spring in the car.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:09 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

My answer would be No.

Cutting composites is really hard work. You can't use cutting fluid and if you get the material hot enough you'll break down the epoxy in the fiberglass matrix.

How in the world are the ends of the spring getting into your wheels? My brain is just not figuring this out.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike

Last edited by VetteDrmr; 06-05-2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:40 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
How in the world are the ends of the spring getting into your wheels? My brain is just not figuring this out.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Red5
Safety Car

The corner of the spring rubs the side of my CCW right a the lip of the rim. It usually only happens when I'm pulling a lot of latteral Gs and such. But when it does happen it begins to eat up my rims. And I like my rims. To fix this problem I can raise the car back up to factory heights.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:26 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Seen it . . . use a 1/8" spacer or raise the car slightly. Other option is to get wheels with a smaller backspace or swap for coilovers . . . but that seems like overkill in comparison.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:33 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

Is it happening only when the corner that's rubbing is really unloaded? I think the T1 springs actually make the car ride higher than stock, but you might ask John Shiels about that.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-05-2006, 08:08 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Incidentally IIRC, it's not the spring itself that starts cutting the inside of the wheel, it's the metal clip on the end of the spring. Not that it helps much (since the clip is required and is pretty much fixed in place) however it does give you something to look at while clearancing everything.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:05 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

If you cut a fiberglass spring it will most likely delaminate and split where you cut it. Cracking down the leaf spring and split it in two.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:09 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

VBP springs are abt 3/4" shorter than the C5/Z06 spring and will clear the wheels w/ no problem. But...

I have this setup, but now my car is so low in the rear (26" to fender from ground w/ 335/17 kuhmos), my '04 Z OEM Sachs shocks are on the bumpstops while static (or so it seems). When the car goes over bumps, the rear doesn't move up & down, it moves laterally .

I've been going down a slippery slope trying to get my car dialed back in once I went too low on the ride height & changed the springs.

I may be raising the car back up all around to make it drivable once again...
Old 06-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Red5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1
VBP springs are abt 3/4" shorter than the C5/Z06 spring and will clear the wheels w/ no problem. But...

I have this setup, but now my car is so low in the rear (26" to fender from ground w/ 335/17 kuhmos), my '04 Z OEM Sachs shocks are on the bumpstops while static (or so it seems). When the car goes over bumps, the rear doesn't move up & down, it moves laterally .

I've been going down a slippery slope trying to get my car dialed back in once I went too low on the ride height & changed the springs.

I may be raising the car back up all around to make it drivable once again...

Based off of your signature it looks like you have the ZO6 slammed pretty low. Let me know if you want to trade the Vette brakes rear spring for a stock ZO6 one. Although i am honestly thinking of taking a grinder to the metal corner ends of the spring.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:58 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think the small spacer is the easiest and safest way to go. I think you can even use a 1/8th spacer with the stock lugs.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Red5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I would think the small spacer is the easiest and safest way to go. I think you can even use a 1/8th spacer with the stock lugs.

I am already running spacers.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:56 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Red5
Based off of your signature it looks like you have the ZO6 slammed pretty low. Let me know if you want to trade the Vette brakes rear spring for a stock ZO6 one. Although i am honestly thinking of taking a grinder to the metal corner ends of the spring.
I ground the metal end-cap into oblivion & it still interfered. I run the small Purner-provided spacer & it didn't make a difference.

The VBP springs must be made to work, although the stock Z springs worked well on asphalt (what I run on...)

Get notified of new replies

To Can you cut the rear springs on a C5?

Quick Reply: Can you cut the rear springs on a C5?