Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Cells for a C5

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 12:21 AM
yellow c5r vette
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fuel Cells for a C5

Are any of you running fuel cells in your C5's.
I need to upgrade to a fuel cell but really want to keep the same location if possible.
From speaking with a supplier I feel like I'm trying to invent them?
While I can understand the Pratt Miller cars ran two cells that were a custom build, I can't believe I'd be the only one asking.
Any Help?
Thks.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:47 AM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow c5r vette
Are any of you running fuel cells in your C5's.
I need to upgrade to a fuel cell but really want to keep the same location if possible.
From speaking with a supplier I feel like I'm trying to invent them?
While I can understand the Pratt Miller cars ran two cells that were a custom build, I can't believe I'd be the only one asking.
Any Help?
Thks.
You're not the 1st one to ask, but at the same point . . . . not a lot of options. Pratt Miller has the saddle tanks that are essentially custom built. These are the only "true" fuel cells that will pass tech as fuel cells.

Next on the list, FuelSafe bladders for the stock tanks. These will NOT pass tech since they're just bladders , and aren't skinned in alum. They do however, offer some additional protection and reuse much of the stock stuff.

Everything else that passes as a "fuel cell" installs as an inverted T at the back of the car, or otherwise sit 'on top' of the tranny and diff on the rear deck.

Bottom line, it'll depend on what tech you need to pass, what the need is, and how much you want to spend. Most race groups (NASA and SCCA) will accept the stock tanks (much like the Vipers) or otherwise grandfather the stock tanks for C5s under the same rules as WCGT.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:04 AM
yellow c5r vette
Intermediate

Fuel Safe has not even answered any e-mail requests at this point.
Do you mean that the SCCA has allowed stock tanks in GT1? or with a "bladder" inside.
I'm in Canada and we come under CACC spec's but really these revert back to the SCCA rules for GT1 I think as we don't have any T1 classes.
If you have any other info or contacts from Fuel Safe I'll keep trying.
Thks.

Sorry but what is WCGT?
Old 06-06-2006, 09:31 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I know that Melrose International sells a set-up for C5's, they also make headers and are a supporting vendor.

http://www.melroset-tops.com/race.htm#C-5%20Fuel%20Cell
Old 06-06-2006, 09:31 AM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You . . . may have a harder time in SCCA GT1, since the field is filled mostly with tube-frame cars and purpose-built cars (as the GCR puts it "highly modified replicas"). I haven't read the CACC GCR, so I'm not sure if the class is the same, or not.

I know that SCCA won't sign off on the Fuel Safe bladders since they do not meet the true definition of a "fuel cell" -- If they were skinned in aluminum, it'd be a different story. Most folk I've seen who need an actual cell in a street-based Vette have either custom made a cell, or used the inverted-T cell that Melrose sells.

I wasn't able to get any feedback from FuelSafe until I called -- IIRC, I talked to Howard to get the details on the C5 bladders, and what folk have done in similar cases.

Good luck
Old 06-06-2006, 10:02 AM
XPC5R
Drifting

These guys may be able to help: http://www.atlinc.com/racing/
Old 06-06-2006, 10:11 AM
yellow c5r vette
Intermediate

Thks very much for the info.
Atl responded right away to the fisr request.
The issue is Pratt & Miller own the design so I need to go through them.
I'll keep Melrose in mind but I really don't want the fuel (read weight) back that far although it perhaps isn't much different than were it was with our C4.
Thks

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Cells for a C5

Quick Reply: Fuel Cells for a C5