Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wine Country @ Sears Point

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 11:50 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Wine Country @ Sears Point

I enjoyed a great weekend at Sears Point. My best lap times were in the mid 1:58 range. My times were down a couple of seconds from last year. My car ran great, but, for some reason it was not a good weekend for Corvettes. Bill Neu's 66 had fan belt problems all weekend, but finished. However, Doug van Dorsten's 64 stopped on turn 7, Terry Gough's 67 dropped a cylinder, and Susan Armstrong's 63 Z06 broke a right rear spring bolt and spun her off the outside of turn 1, fortunately without injury....but really scary! I had some really great runs with Tom Saki's 66 Tiger, and Philippe Reyn's (garage find) Lightweight E-Type. I started 14th, and finished 7th OA, but ultimately, the Cobras of Don Lee and Larry Bowman proved (once again) WAY too much competition for the Corvettes. There were some incredible street cars in the paddock, including an Enzo, and a McLaren F1, and the "social activities" were teriffic. There are some great people and fantastic racing at these vintage events, so y'all come on out, ya hear
Old 06-06-2006, 01:16 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the report and great times. These events used to be just for participants and only a few spectators showed up even though the admission was hardly anything or easy to find comp tickets. Now they seem to be getting almost to the professional level with tougher entry fees and more people, still wish I could have gotten up there to see at least one day, but no luck. Several others seem to have made it from another thread. Will you be running down this way again this year? And good luck with the rest of the season!
Randy
Old 06-06-2006, 01:57 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Randy,
Entries for Monterey do not go out until AFTER the Wine Country, but (since the featured Marque is Cooper) the rumor is no Corvettes have gotten an invitation this year, so perhaps I'll see you next year. The tickets to Wine Country are $45 this year, and I understand from the spectators they were worth it. There were several thousand spectators this year. The racing is VERY professional....especially the Trans Am, and the FIA GT races. Of course the best seats are in the cars, so that's one way to save $45
Old 06-07-2006, 12:26 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea, great savings, I guess I just got spoiled. The first year I did HPDEs my F-in-Law got free tickets from Jag that he passed along. Then I signed up for a promo with Jag the next year and they sent along another set. Then a contact at my job worked for Bank of the West who sponsored one year and gave me another set of comp tickets for three years in a row. This year no such luck and I was just getting done with 5 days out of one week in two stints at R-F. When the wife stayed home from the local dog show I decided to do the same. Maybe next year. Good luck with the rest of the season.

Get notified of new replies

To Wine Country @ Sears Point

Quick Reply: Wine Country @ Sears Point