Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing My first AutoX

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 11:25 AM
GK VETTLOVER
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing My first AutoX

First one in my new 98 Vette stock anyone got any tips fpr me. This should be fun I had done it before driving a Grand Prix GTP comp But wonder what it will be like in a Corvette. Wish me Luck will post about it on Sunday (after the race)
Old 06-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Slow in, fast out. Slow and smooth is a lot faster than fast and out of control.

I run with all driving aides off. I put the seat forward a little bit and use the cinch feature on the seatbelt. I walk the course and try to remember the corners that I know will screw me up. You will probably have to concentrate on them while you race too - don't be surprised if it takes you to the third lap to get them remotely right.

Brake with gusto since you have ABS, but try to brake as late as possible. Get as close as you can to corner apexes. Be easy on the throttle until you get used to it, odds are you will be in spin city at least once your first time out.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:01 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Check the sticky post at the top of this forum; tons of info there.

Have a great time, and let us know how it goes!

Mike
Old 06-09-2006, 12:20 PM
rickkym
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
Be easy on the throttle until you get used to it, odds are you will be in spin city at least once your first time out.

I hate trying to find the course again after a good spin!
Old 06-09-2006, 01:29 PM
GK VETTLOVER
Racer

Thanks guys for the info
Old 06-09-2006, 01:52 PM
johninar
Drifting

Try try try not to set the course record the first time out. It's so easy to go too fast when learning and lose it. Of course spinning really gets my sons cheering, they think it's cool. Take it easy and as was said above slow in, fast out, is faster. You will have a blast. I think my heart rate set a new record the first time. The sticky above will give you great into. Have fun. It's a blast!!

And then let us know how you did.

Last edited by johninar; 06-09-2006 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:53 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by johninar
Try try try not to set the course record the first time out. It's so easy to go too fast when learning and lose it. Of course spinning really gets my sons cheering, they think it's cool. Take it easy and as was said above slow in, fast out, is faster. You will have a blast. I think my heart rate set a new record the first time. The sticky above will give you great into. Have fun. It's a blast!!

And then let us know how you did.
What "Cone Crusher" John said!!
Old 06-09-2006, 03:20 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Do as the others said, but I would add to drive in comp mode(if equiped) to allow a little wheel spin out of corners. It will also make you a little better driver, rather than letting the "nanny AH/TC" intervien every two seconds.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:41 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Do as the others said, but I would add to drive in comp mode(if equiped) to allow a little wheel spin out of corners. It will also make you a little better driver, rather than letting the "nanny AH/TC" intervien every two seconds.
I don't think his 98 has comp mode.

Like I said in my post, I drive the 02 with everything completely off. I find TC to kick in too aggressively when I'm driving aggressively.

In my 78, I have nothing to turn off.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:30 AM
GK VETTLOVER
Racer

He is right 98 no comp mode although do have Z45 so Perfromance mode I do have but you said turn these off?

Get notified of new replies

To Doing My first AutoX

Quick Reply: Doing My first AutoX