Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with drill mod (clutch)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 06:02 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need help with drill mod (clutch)

Can someone describe the drill mod in some detail. Interestingly, I had the problem about 2 years ago, replaced the MC and it went away. We'll it came back and on the Pocono East course the other week, I was stuck in 3rd the whole time.

I drove it on the street afterwards and hot or cold, when I nail the throttle, sure enough the pedal sticks to the floor and I can't switch gears.

Took it to the dealer to have them fix again, but I have heard the "drill mod" solve the problem quickly and easily.

If not, does bleeding the fluid help ease the problem as a temporary fix? I have the SCCA track event THIS Friday and don't want to get stuck in 3rd gear on the long course.

Last edited by 95jersey; 06-12-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:34 AM
MrEracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget the drill mod. The problem is with the clutch. I have had great success with the RAM 900 series clutch in my road racing C5. You may also need a slave spacer (supplied by RAM).
In my experience I have found that the OEM clutch or any OEM replacement clutch (LUK) will develop the clutch on the floor syndrome sooner or later...
BTW, Arizona Team Corvette Racers took 1,2 and 3 at Las Vegas this past week end on RAM clutches...
Shirl Dickey

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with RAM Clutches.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:16 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We'll that really sucks, because I spent $700 buying a LUK Stage II Clutch with aluminum flywheel. I would really hate to have to ditch the whole set up. It's only got about 6000 miles on it?!?! Is there any band-aid fix?
Old 06-13-2006, 08:47 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I took the spring out that is connected to the clutch. It seemed to help with the sticky clutch pedal, but it was only a temporary fix.

I have heard that changing the fluid also helps.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:44 AM
MrEracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The band-aid fix is an adjustable master cylinder with a metal body. The problem is that high system pressures will distort the plastic master cylinder which allows the fluid to bleed past the seal leaving the peddle on the floor and the clutch still engaged. Aftermarket clutches have a higher mechanical advantage in the release mechanism which results in lower hydraulic system pressures.
I get flamed every time I put this idea up but I have one question for the flamers. If the peddle stays on the floor, where did the fluid go?
Shirl Dickey

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with drill mod (clutch)

Quick Reply: Need help with drill mod (clutch)