Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRM Brake Duct install

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 12:57 PM
my black Z06
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRM Brake Duct install

After all the discussion of brake duct install problems, I will be using a rotary tool.

Does anyone have a template for the butcher job of the fender lining?
Old 06-13-2006, 03:21 PM
elh0102
Burning Brakes

Okay, I can save you a lot of time and the subjection of family and neighbors to bad language. 1) Go to the local hardware store and buy a role of black gorilla tape; you'll need it later. 2) As soon as you get the bottom cover off, go ahead and cut the factory duct so you can pull it out. You're going to have to cut it anyway, and trying to get it out in one piece is a stupid exercise in futility. 3) Now, just go ahead and cut a damn big hole in liner; no, bigger. You should be able to toss my 15 year old cat through it. You will end up doing this anyway, so do it in one step instead of ten. 4) Cut the factory duct as indicated in the instructions. 5) After you figure out the optimum placement of the DRM duct, drill your hole and install your new duct. If you did step 3 correctly, this will be easy. 6) Now, get your gorilla tape and go to work! Don't worry about the big hole. Heck, there's so much tape on my car, I would probably stick to the Armco if I hit it at 100 mph. And the stuff looks fine and lasts all season.

Now, you're through, and can probably be on your third or fourth cold beverage by the time Mr. Neat has discovered he omitted step 3.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:25 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Old 06-13-2006, 04:26 PM
GreekPT
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're NOT Sam the Butcher and want to cut a much smaller hole, you'll spend considerable more time slowly enlarging the hole til the duct fits. My first hole was much too big, but we live and learn and the second hole was just right. Sorry, I don't have a template for you.
A dremel works wonders, just be ready for lots of fine black dust!

Good Luck!
Old 06-13-2006, 07:29 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You would think the guys at DRM would have this squared away by now. My gosh how much could a sticker cost? Include the template and charge and extra ten bucks. I know it would make many owners/installers happy.

Randy you gettin this?
Old 06-13-2006, 07:38 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K3Z06
You would think the guys at DRM would have this squared away by now. My gosh how much could a sticker cost? Include the template and charge and extra ten bucks. I know it would make many owners/installers happy.

Randy you gettin this?
I think the problem is that so far no one has been able to do this really neat (no good inner liner to copy)
Old 06-13-2006, 07:57 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, I am getting this. We have tried to do a template in the past. We have two cars in the shop that both needed brake ducts. The first car we did it by trial and error, and then made templates. Then transfered them to the other car, it came out pretty bad. The problem is not two cars are the same. Plus you also need to be able to cut the OEM duct exactly the same. If anything is off just a little bit then everything would be BIG off. We were able to do a nicer job without any template. How pissed off would you guys be at me if I sent a template, and it didn't work? If after you cut the hole you found if you did a couple trial fits it would have came out better.
I know it takes some patience to make this install look good. I will look into it again, because I know some of you guys are having trouble. We are doing a install again in about a week or so. So I will stand out there and look to see if we can improve the odds of a good looking install.

Thanks
Randy
Old 06-13-2006, 08:56 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Randy-- A set of the ducts are probably going to be my next mod. How about taking your digi camera out to the shop while that install is going on. A nice set of pics posted here would go a long way to ease the pain of an install. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Randy-- A set of the ducts are probably going to be my next mod. How about taking your digi camera out to the shop while that install is going on. A nice set of pics posted here would go a long way to ease the pain of an install. Thanks.
I AGREE !!! I would like some idea of what to do before committing

DH
Old 06-13-2006, 11:13 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by elh0102
3) Now, just go ahead and cut a damn big hole in liner; no, bigger. You should be able to toss my 15 year old cat through it. You will end up doing this anyway, so do it in one step instead of ten.

Now, you're through, and can probably be on your third or fourth cold beverage by the time Mr. Neat has discovered he omitted step 3.
Gee Ed, you sound bitter

That's pretty much how I did mine and you saw how much tape I stashed under there... I agree, my 15yr old cat can fit in there too

After installing the DRM ducts and oil cooler I have to say instructions are not their strong point... heck i didn't get instructions for the oil cooler. But did get some pics from Randy after I called and asked if it was a test

The ducts work although I have no proof how much they cool the pads. The oil cooler on the other hand, I do know what difference it makes, and I'm very happy with it.

Graham
Old 06-13-2006, 11:17 PM
96LT1
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I AGREE !!! I would like some idea of what to do before committing

DH

Make that three! ...and IF I do it, I want to place the order within the next two weeks. {not to put any pressure on you}
Old 06-14-2006, 01:22 AM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by elh0102
Okay, I can save you a lot of time and the subjection of family and neighbors to bad language. 1) Go to the local hardware store and buy a role of black gorilla tape; you'll need it later. 2) As soon as you get the bottom cover off, go ahead and cut the factory duct so you can pull it out. You're going to have to cut it anyway, and trying to get it out in one piece is a stupid exercise in futility. 3) Now, just go ahead and cut a damn big hole in liner; no, bigger. You should be able to toss my 15 year old cat through it. You will end up doing this anyway, so do it in one step instead of ten. 4) Cut the factory duct as indicated in the instructions. 5) After you figure out the optimum placement of the DRM duct, drill your hole and install your new duct. If you did step 3 correctly, this will be easy. 6) Now, get your gorilla tape and go to work! Don't worry about the big hole. Heck, there's so much tape on my car, I would probably stick to the Armco if I hit it at 100 mph. And the stuff looks fine and lasts all season.

Old 06-14-2006, 07:27 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since we took the front bumper cover off our FRC at the same time to install a front tow eye the access was pretty good for this install.

We used my cutoff wheel (my Dremel is currently inop) to make the cuts. It took some trial and error but the end result looks pretty good - I put my number one son on the job and went inside to watch Speed channel or Girls Gone Wild or something similar. It is not a mod for a future NCRS contender.....but my guess they do not hit this part of the Forum that often.

The ducts work GREAT by the way.....they do scrub a bit with 315/35 on GS wheels by the way...
Old 06-14-2006, 11:27 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you guys give me your e-mail I can e-mail you a set of our install sheets. This brake duct install sheets have about 7-8 pictures with writing.

Randy
Old 06-14-2006, 01:56 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used a flap wheel sander with my cordless drill to get the hole where I wanted it. The good thing about this is that the 4" flap wheel will give you a nice curve and a clean edge. It does make a lot of dust. Figuring out exactly where to put the hole is the hard part. My left duct rubs a little at full lock from the tire, and both extension tubes rub a little from the inside of the wheel. As advised in the other posts, I use duct tape to repair the tubing as is wears.

Dog
Old 06-14-2006, 02:31 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

It's not that hard... I used a dremel w/ a cutting wheel. Yeah the first hole is too big, but who cares, nobody sees it!

The second one is great.

But... I had to learn the hardway to cut the duct first before pulling it out... I spidered the paint on my facia on the right side forcing one out.

CUT FIRST!
Old 06-14-2006, 09:01 PM
jlucas
Racer

Air hacksaw was tons faster than a Dremel.

Get notified of new replies

To DRM Brake Duct install

Old 06-14-2006, 09:47 PM
LeMansBlue04
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the attachments Dremel makes for their product is a spiral cutting tool that looks like a drill bit. They also make a snake that attaches to the end of the Dremel, it's maybe two or three feet long.

Put the spiral cutter in the snake and you can guide this cutting tool almost like a pencil. It cuts through the wheel well panel easily but keep your shop vac close by it makes lots of dust.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:16 AM
Tourmgr1
Burning Brakes

I would wear safety glasses and a mask or pull an old tee shirt over your mouth and nose for this job. The first side I cut I inhaled way too much of this black dust. Not a pretty sight after blowing your nose ...
Good luck.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:08 PM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I didn't have to worry about dust since I used an exacto knife to cut the holes. They came out nice and clean, although it's not exactly the safest way to go about it. If you slip, you can really do some damage.

Quick Reply: DRM Brake Duct install