Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with DRM brake duct install

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 10:09 PM
LeMansBlue04
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Help with DRM brake duct install

I am having a problem getting a set of Doug Rippie brake ducts installed on my 2004 Coupe. I don’t know if I did something incorrectly or if there is some problem with installing these on a 2004. I run 17 inch ZO6 Factory Reproductions front wheels but I have seen nothing to indicate the DRM ducts will not work with 17 inch front wheels.

I searched and looked at three postings by others before I did the install so I did attempt to inform myself as much as possible before I started. I also looked carefully at some pictures of other installs to help me determine the location of the exit point on the duct.

I have the car up on jack stands so the suspension is completely unloaded but when I turn the front of the wheel toward the frame the tire hits the outlet on the duct before I reach full lock. As you can see in the photo taken under the car the duct does not even come close to clearing the tire much less the wheel. I have the duct as far toward the shock absorber as it will go and as far down as I dare go. As it is I am right up against the bracket that surrounds the shock. If I move any further down I will not be able to attach to the frame and I will interfere with the steering link they runs under the duct.

I discovered the problem this evening so I have not contacted DRM yet because they are closed. I thought someone on the forum might be able to help.

Thanks
Old 06-13-2006, 10:22 PM
SFVetteman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might have better luck with this in the autocross & roadracing section.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:37 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Drm ducts

From your photos you have mounted yours about 1 1/2" lower than I mounted mine and about 1 1/2" toward the rear of the car further than mine. I had to cut off about 1 1/2" more of the duct than the DRM instructions say, this allowed me to move the duct forward and gave me the clearance I needed. I don't know of anyone who hasn't had a lot of trouble with the install, but once they're in they work well. And yes they do work with 17" wheels.

Last edited by tiojames; 06-13-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:39 PM
LeMansBlue04
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SFVetteman
You might have better luck with this in the autocross & roadracing section.
Well I thought about that but almost everyone browses this section so I thought I might be more likely to find help here. If not I will ask to have the post moved.

Thanks
Old 06-13-2006, 10:43 PM
Tourmgr1
Burning Brakes

With the suspension unloaded the wheel will rub.
Drop the car down on it's wheels and then check. You may find it still rubs slightly so wrap the hose with duct tape near the DRM duct ... and try not to go full lock.

Good Luck.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:53 PM
LeMansBlue04
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tiojames
From your photos you have mounted yours about 1 1/2" lower than I mounted mine and about 1 1/2" toward the rear of the car further than mine. I had to cut off about 1 1/2" more of the duct than the DRM instructions say, this allowed me to move the duct forward and gave me the clearance I needed. I don't know of anyone who hasn't had a lot of trouble with the install, but once they're in they work well. And yes they do work with 17" wheels.
Can I ask you this? When your car is suspended do your wheels hit the ducts when the wheel is turned to the inside?
Old 06-13-2006, 11:02 PM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

worst case scenario, you can heat the duct over the stove and bend it backwards to gain more clearance. But I would talk with DRM first. Can you add a 1/2" spacer to the front end to shift it rearward?
Old 06-14-2006, 01:08 AM
LeMansBlue04
Burning Brakes

In the morning I will put the car on the ground and see how things look.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:23 PM
MadMaxZ06
Racer

Old 06-14-2006, 01:25 PM
LeMansBlue04
Burning Brakes

Ok, so I buttoned everything up and put the car on the ground. At ground level and full lock the edge of the wheel hits the outer lip and the duct hose just a little. I am thinking that normally the suspension is not going to unload when the wheel is turned to the inside, just the oppisite. So maybe this is ok? I am going to try it for a while and see what happens.

Wish me luck.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:04 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 269 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by LeMansBlue04
Ok, so I buttoned everything up and put the car on the ground. At ground level and full lock the edge of the wheel hits the outer lip and the duct hose just a little. I am thinking that normally the suspension is not going to unload when the wheel is turned to the inside, just the oppisite. So maybe this is ok? I am going to try it for a while and see what happens.

Wish me luck.
It will work just stay away from full lock & get some black racers tape!
Old 06-14-2006, 04:46 PM
LeMansBlue04
Burning Brakes

Yea that seems to be the case. I drove about 30 miles today with no obvious problems. Like you say just stay away from full lock if you can. I added a set of DIY spindle ducts plus Wilwood rotors while I was in there. So far so good.

Perhaps an 18 inch wheel would help. I wish I had known better when I bought the wheels. An 18 inch wheel would have let me run a bigger rotor as well. What can I say, "live & learn."
Old 06-14-2006, 06:19 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default DRM ducts

My wheels do not rub the ducts, but as I posted my ducts are cut off 1 1/2" more than yours and the duct is mounted forward and higher than the picture you have of yours.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:32 PM
LeMansBlue04
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tiojames
My wheels do not rub the ducts, but as I posted my ducts are cut off 1 1/2" more than yours and the duct is mounted forward and higher than the picture you have of yours.
Perhaps you could post a picture. I am not understanding this. From what you are saying you should have less clearence, not more. If you mounted the outlet of the duct higher and closer to the front you would be on the wheel. Do you have larger wheels or spacers? How did you get it to clear?
Old 06-14-2006, 09:44 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps an 18 inch wheel would help. I wish I had known better when I bought the wheels. An 18 inch wheel would have let me run a bigger rotor as well. What can I say, "live & learn."
I have CCW Z06 size 17 in. wheels in front w/ 275 wide tires and have no rubbing issues with my ducts. I did need to re-position/re-drill one side after checking the clearances with the suspension loaded.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:52 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

This is where mine is located. No rubbing when the car is lowered. The upper A-arm just barely touches the end of the duct when lifted at full suspension droop.

DRM Duct
Old 06-15-2006, 02:09 PM
LeMansBlue04
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vms4evr
This is where mine is located. No rubbing when the car is lowered. The upper A-arm just barely touches the end of the duct when lifted at full suspension droop.

DRM Duct
Thanks for the pic. Apparently this is pretty nuanced so that a small change in position can lead to more clearance.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:29 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the pic. Apparently this is pretty nuanced so that a small change in position can lead to more clearance.
No problem. Yes a small adjustment makes a lot of difference. I drew a red line in the pic to show that I used the mounting pad for the A-arm as my square to lign it up. It sits flush and square against the bottom part of the pad. No rubbing or flexing problems at all even at full lock.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:47 AM
LeMansBlue04
Burning Brakes

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help. Yesterday I drove the car up on a set of ramps because I was putting in a larger trans cooler. I turnd the wheels to full lock just to check again and everything is clearing now.

I suppose everything has had a chance to settle since I did the install but it does clear the wheels now. Not by much mind you but enough to get the job done. I also did the DIY spindle ducts. These are going to work very well.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with DRM brake duct install

Quick Reply: Help with DRM brake duct install